Symbology

spock

I was flipping through the liner notes earlier and found a few things:

The time on the sun dial near The Garden lyrics is showing 1:00 (or pointing to BU2B) - significant? Or, a random point selected by Hugh?

The time on a different sun dial near the Caravan lyrics points to Carnies.

The sun dial near the Caravan lyrics has the symbols from the Clock on the outside, but also has two more concentric rings with other symbols that I can't quite make out.

These are all signs of a deeper hidden message, or it's late and I need to go to bed.

Good night!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 14 2012, 08:32 PM)

The time on the sun dial near The Garden lyrics is showing 1:00 (or pointing to BU2B) - significant? Or, a random point selected by Hugh?

The sun dial near the Caravan lyrics has the symbols from the Clock on the outside, but also has two more concentric rings with other symbols that I can't quite make out.

These are all signs of a deeper hidden message, or it's late and I need to go to bed.

Good night!

biggrin.gif

Probably. But it's late and I can't think about it right now. Let me get back to you..... wink.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 14 2012, 10:32 PM)

It's late and you need to go to bed.

The guys have spoken before about their fans looking for deep hidden meanings in the album artwork or other non-musical elements. The fans "go too far," is basically their take on such exercises. No mysterious significance is intended.

One example of many: a fan asked Neil (via the old TNMS mailing list) why the dice on the RTB cover had THOSE NUMBERS on them? Neil's answer was that it was just randomness; no special reason.

Sure, Hugh Syme includes SOME meaning in his album artwork, but I believe it's all obvious stuff - like the visual puns which go with the titles "moving pictures" and "power windows," or the clock on Clockwork Angels pointing to the time 21:12. Beyond that, you're just overtaxing your brain searching for "clues" to something that isn't there. Rest.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 14 2012, 11:32 PM)

Good night!

biggrin.gif

I think Hugh Syme is very conscious of his art and very closely ties the symbology on every album to its over-arching theme. From FBN to SA, the art has always matched the theme very closely and on several levels. Like the music, it is deep.

Caravan's disk/dial appears to have sun and moon as the innermost circle. Next level appears to be clouds (infer goddesses of light, earth, sea and sky?) in a four segment circle. Next level out is eight segments in the circle. One appears to have a skull and crossbones in it. A dinner setting next to it? Drums? I can't tell. Gears underneath, airships all around, the Watchmaker's device, a man with a telescope, mountains and a river, the stairs, the smoke rising from the centre of the halo. I also notice the disk/dial crumbling (right around the double wave i.e. The Wreckers).

Sometimes that twilight between wake and sleep can provide us with a unique and insightful view. Do get some rest though. smile.gif

Fascinating.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 15 2012, 07:26 AM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 14 2012, 11:32 PM)

Good night!

biggrin.gif

I think Hugh Syme is very conscious of his art and very closely ties the symbology on every album to its over-arching theme. From FBN to SA, the art has always matched the theme very closely and on several levels. Like the music, it is deep.

Caravan's disk/dial appears to have sun and moon as the innermost circle. Next level appears to be clouds (infer goddesses of light, earth, sea and sky?) in a four segment circle. Next level out is eight segments in the circle. One appears to have a skull and crossbones in it. A dinner setting next to it? Drums? I can't tell. Gears underneath, airships all around, the Watchmaker's device, a man with a telescope, mountains and a river, the stairs, the smoke rising from the centre of the halo. I also notice the disk/dial crumbling (right around the double wave i.e. The Wreckers).

Sometimes that twilight between wake and sleep can provide us with a unique and insightful view. Do get some rest though. smile.gif

Fascinating.

goodpost.gif

You see the same things I'm seeing - although some of them are tough to make out.

No, for some of the other posters: I'm not really looking for hidden messages (I get plenty from my Rice Krispies), I was really looking for some extra insights into the story - stuff that'll probably be in the novel. But for now, it passes the time.

I find as many holes in the "story" as a block of swiss cheese.

Anyway, I'll go check out that Anarchist painting now (now there's an interesting timepiece! I already noticed the blue arc flashes...hmmm....)

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 15 2012, 08:46 PM)
Anyway, I'll go check out that Anarchist painting now (now there's an interesting timepiece! I already noticed the blue arc flashes...hmmm....)

Ummm.. that's the bomb.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 15 2012, 10:58 PM)

Ummm.. that's the bomb.

No, it's the detonator with two clock faces; one set to 11:55 and the other I can't quite figure out. Check out the half-hidden cuff link with another symbol on it - probably a hint at Freemasonry or the Illuminati (I've refrained from mentioning the obvious connections throughout lest I disappear mysteriously after posting this comment).

The interesting thing about the blue arc flashes is that this is a world "lit only by fire": no electricity. But the detonator appears to have an electric current making it work.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 15 2012, 06:10 AM)

It's late and you need to go to bed.

The guys have spoken before about their fans looking for deep hidden meanings in the album artwork or other non-musical elements. The fans "go too far," is basically their take on such exercises. No mysterious significance is intended.

One example of many: a fan asked Neil (via the old TNMS mailing list) why the dice on the RTB cover had THOSE NUMBERS on them? Neil's answer was that it was just randomness; no special reason.

Sure, Hugh Syme includes SOME meaning in his album artwork, but I believe it's all obvious stuff - like the visual puns which go with the titles "moving pictures" and "power windows," or the clock on Clockwork Angels pointing to the time 21:12. Beyond that, you're just overtaxing your brain searching for "clues" to something that isn't there. Rest.

It's late and I need to go to bed. I had a little drink about an hour ago, and it's gone right to my head...

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 06:25 AM)

Ummm.. that's the bomb.

No, it's the detonator with two clock faces; one set to 11:55 and the other I can't quite figure out. Check out the half-hidden cuff link with another symbol on it - probably a hint at Freemasonry or the Illuminati (I've refrained from mentioning the obvious connections throughout lest I disappear mysteriously after posting this comment).

The interesting thing about the blue arc flashes is that this is a world "lit only by fire": no electricity. But the detonator appears to have an electric current making it work.

ph34r.gif

Remember the references in the liner notes that the Clockwork Angels control the "Alchemical Power".. so it's not only lit by fire, even though Caravan states that.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 07:25 AM)
Ummm.. that's the bomb.

No, it's the detonator...

Bomb, detenator... semantics.

It's what the Anarchist was a'gonna use to blow up the peeps at the carnival, until the hero spotted him and he instead threw it to the hero, to frame him as the bomb/detenator's owner.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 08:25 AM)

ph34r.gif

Not just fire, "coldfire" (BU2B liner notes). So now its a source of power and light, not just a "phosphorescent wave on a tropical sea", "the pattern of moonlight on the bedroom floor" or "the look in your eyes as you head for the door".... I don't think there's any significant reference there (though there may be, haven't looked deeply enough) but an interesting choice and overlap of terms.

And for the record, if I was finding references to Rush in other Hugh Syme works, then I'd be wacko.gif. Looking for the depth in Hugh's work for Rush, isn't crazy, it is quite natural, imo. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, the artwork created by an artist for an album really does mean something and finding the detail is fun (at least it is to me and it would seem to be to some others on this thread).

smile.gif

goodpost.gif spock

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 16 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 07:25 AM)
Ummm.. that's the bomb.

No, it's the detonator...

Bomb, detenator... semantics.

It's what the Anarchist was a'gonna use to blow up the peeps at the carnival, until the hero spotted him and he instead threw it to the hero, to frame him as the bomb/detenator's owner.

Really? Seems to me that if he wanted to blow up something at the carnival he could have.

To me this has the feel of something being passed down. Just look at the artwork.

Good night!

biggrin.gif

Hey man, did you hear Paul McCartney actually died halfway through the Beatles career because the pictures so clearly point to that conspiracy?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 16 2012, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 08:25 AM)

ph34r.gif

Not just fire, "coldfire" (BU2B liner notes). So now its a source of power and light, not just a "phosphorescent wave on a tropical sea", "the pattern of moonlight on the bedroom floor" or "the look in your eyes as you head for the door".... I don't think there's any significant reference there (though there may be, haven't looked deeply enough) but an interesting choice and overlap of terms.

And for the record, if I was finding references to Rush in other Hugh Syme works, then I'd be wacko.gif. Looking for the depth in Hugh's work for Rush, isn't crazy, it is quite natural, imo. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, the artwork created by an artist for an album really does mean something and finding the detail is fun (at least it is to me and it would seem to be to some others on this thread).

smile.gif

goodpost.gif spock

See, I missed all that: didn't notice the mention of "coldfire" (wow, I do love that song!) and had forgotten about alchemy fueling things. It is a good point, too, that the Anarchist could have just settled for blowing it up himself - in high contrast to the lyrics ("they'll never forget me" (more like, they'll never forget Owen while never knowing this Anarchist dude)). Wheels within wheels...

I'm curious about the artwork because there's SO MUCH of it! Besides the lyrics, the paintings are the only other insights (besides artist interviews) we have into the CA world. The crumbling edges of a sundial, the tattoo on the Anarchist's hand (would they have tattoos in a clockwork world?), the interesting (to me) choice of making the lighthouse have wheels (it doubles the diabolical-ness: people had to PUSH that thing there for an evil purpose), yadda-yadda-yadda.

Besides, what else are you gonna do when you're in a long line at Taco Bell? You're gonna have a lot of time to look at pictures tongue.gif

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Jul 16 2012, 07:27 PM)

Good night!

biggrin.gif

Hey man, did you hear Paul McCartney actually died halfway through the Beatles career because the pictures so clearly point to that conspiracy?

rofl3.gif

Please don't be insulting - the clear use of both Shirley Temple AND Karl Marx on the cover of Sgt. Peppers was decoded long ago as an reverse morse code cipher, based on an ancient Vermont dialect, stating in mostly uncertain terms that Paul was not only dead, but had never been born (group psychosis long led audiences to see John Lennon as two distinct people).

Please don't beathorse.gif in such an otherwise serious forum topic

Jeez,

cool.gif

The clock doesn't read 21:12 (9:12pm) as the hand position suggest. Given the numbering of the songs and symbol associated with those numbers on the clock, the clock actually reads ~22:17. Huh.... ?

Maybe "looks like 21:12" but its not - as in this album isn't what you think it is - was a statement. Perhaps not.

Curious.

Oh, and if we're going to start a conspiracy thread, let's not forget Tom Petty. wink.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 16 2012, 07:45 PM)
The clock doesn't read 21:12 (9:12pm) as the hand position suggest. Given the numbering of the songs and symbol associated with those numbers on the clock, the clock actually reads ~22:17. Huh.... ?

Maybe "looks like 21:12" but its not - as in this album isn't what you think it is - was a statement. Perhaps not.

Curious.

Oh, and if we're going to start a conspiracy thread, let's not forget Tom Petty. wink.gif

Hey, that's right! The high noon symbol is "1", not "12" - so THAT clockface technically reads 2212 as you noticed. Whazzup wid dat? Is CA 100 years past the world of 2112? Did "they who returned to 'assume control' at the end of 2112" build a world lit only by fire? The possibilities are endless!

Okay, I give, what's the conspiracy with Tom Petty? I haven't heard that before (no, seriously).

I also think it is interesting that the symbols associated with each song resemble an alchemical-type of feel. I first noticed it on Halo Effect art with song 6 symbol, Seven Cities are with song 7 symbol, The Wreckers with song 8 symbol, etc.

Then you can start interpreting the symbols:

1- horizontal lines on an X (a solid base)

2- an orthodox cross mounted on eternity (i.e. here's our beliefs in CA universe)

3- that sure is a lot of clocks joined by a circle

4- bombs inverted in gallows(?)

5- tic-tac-toe (games like at a carnival)

6- the sun (a driver of halos)

7- an eye (searching - I really like this one with the sun peering through the arch)

8- two waves (ship-wrecked!)

9- top heavy (shouldn't fly but does, pointed to move up/forward)

10- a pitchfork (the spiritual crisis)

11- an eloquent z (or zed in Canada, eh) suggests elegance or grace

12- a triangle (3 - its the most obvious of any of the symbols, just like the song)

Geddy has his symbol on the bass (it means aggregation, I think) and it sponsors the album.

The Pedlar has his own symbol too. Don't know what it means....yet... and haven't interpreted the ones I see in a historic sense ....

Over come by massive dork wave...can't resist......

smile.gif

<totally off topic - there is a conspiracy that says Tom Petty actually died in 1976 after recording his first album (released in 1977) and the person we've always known as Tom Petty is really a replacement. I think its been in snopes.com. I'd have to search for the link - I think it was wiki. Utter claptrap, but it takes all kinds...>

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 16 2012, 08:22 PM)
I also think it is interesting that the symbols associated with each song resemble an alchemical-type of feel. I first noticed it on Halo Effect art with song 6 symbol, Seven Cities are with song 7 symbol, The Wreckers with song 8 symbol, etc.

2- an orthodox cross mounted on eternity (i.e. here's our beliefs in CA universe)
7- an eye (searching - I really like this one with the sun peering through the arch)
12- a triangle (3 - its the most obvious of any of the symbols, just like the song)

Geddy has his symbol on the bass (it means aggregation, I think) and it sponsors the album.

The Pedlar has his own symbol too. Don't know what it means....yet... and haven't interpreted the ones I see in a historic sense ....

smile.gif

<totally off topic - there is a conspiracy that says Tom Petty actually died in 1976 after recording his first album (released in 1977) and the person we've always known as Tom Petty is really a replacement. I think its been in snopes.com. I'd have to search for the link - I think it was wiki. Utter claptrap, but it takes all kinds...>

The Pedlar - I posted elsewhen that the Pedlar's symbol makes the clockface but SSOG's symbol does not (!). Never figured out what to make of that? Someone suggested that the drew up the symbols before they settled on the tracklist - that makes the most sense.

Of course, with the clockface offset, that might mean that Song #1 is BU2B, that Caravan is the LAST song, and all the others are just a St Elsewhere dream sequence...ok, I'll stop there...

Tom Petty dead? That's a new one! Fascinating!

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 16 2012, 09:31 PM)
Of course, with the clockface offset, that might mean that Song #1 is BU2B, that Caravan is the LAST song, and all the others are just a St Elsewhere dream sequence...ok, I'll stop there...
<snip>

I do not believe it is a dream sequence. I do believe there is a circular aspect to the album insomuch as he ends up where he started. All is for best despite it appearing like some bizarre test. Optimism.

Fascinating...

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 16 2012, 06:22 PM)

smile.gif

Ther has been much speculation about the symbols. Neil said that each symbol on the clock does correspond to a song. In order...

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/images/what-are-the-symbols-on-the-new-rush-album-21365305.jpg

Noon: Copper - Caravan

One: Brimstone - BU2B

Two: Purification - Clockwork Angels

Three: Mercury - The Anarchist

Four: Winter - Carnies

Five: Zinc - Halo Effect

Six: Sun - Seven Cities Of Gold

Seven: Aquarius - The Wreckers

Eight: calx viva ("water which wets not the hands") - Headlong Flight

Nine: Neptune - BU2B2

Ten: Lead - Wish Them Well

Eleven: Earth - The Garden

Some of those make much more sense when matched with the song they represent.

The symbol on the bass - the main one he uses - is "Amalgamation" It is also used in the "3R' symbol:

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/close_up_geddy_lee_bass_symbol.jpg

I don't see any symbols on the artwork for the Pedlar.....?

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 17 2012, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 16 2012, 06:22 PM)
I also think it is interesting that the symbols associated with each song resemble an alchemical-type of feel.  I first noticed it on Halo Effect art with song 6 symbol, Seven Cities are with song 7 symbol, The Wreckers with song 8 symbol, etc.

The Pedlar has his own symbol too.  Don't know what it means....yet... and haven't interpreted the ones I see in a historic sense ....

smile.gif

<totally off topic - there is a conspiracy that says Tom Petty actually died in 1976 after recording his first album (released in 1977) and the person we've always known as Tom Petty is really a replacement.  I think its been in snopes.com.  I'd have to search for the link - I think it was wiki.  Utter claptrap, but it takes all kinds...>

Ther has been much speculation about the symbols. Neil said that each symbol on the clock does correspond to a song. In order...

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/images/what-are-the-symbols-on-the-new-rush-album-21365305.jpg

Noon: Copper - Caravan

One: Brimstone - BU2B

Two: Purification - Clockwork Angels

Three: Mercury - The Anarchist

Four: Winter - Carnies

Five: Zinc - Halo Effect

Six: Sun - Seven Cities Of Gold

Seven: Aquarius - The Wreckers

Eight: calx viva ("water which wets not the hands") - Headlong Flight

Nine: Neptune - BU2B2

Ten: Lead - Wish Them Well

Eleven: Earth - The Garden

Some of those make much more sense when matched with the song they represent.

The symbol on the bass - the main one he uses - is "Amalgamation" It is also used in the "3R' symbol:

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/close_up_geddy_lee_bass_symbol.jpg

I don't see any symbols on the artwork for the Pedlar.....?

The symbol for the peddler is in the three o'clock position on the clock. Looks rather like a demon doesn't it?

Thanks for the translations HowItIs. Amalgamation. I was thinking augmentation, but that just left too many obvious comedic openings. smile.gif Starts with A and was additive.

And, I realize my #3 should have been "crosses" not "clocks" (guess I just have clocks on the brain lately...wonder why).

So on the cover, a balance between Amalgamation on one end, the clockwork is the pitchfork/neptune and angels is the inverse of the garden?

Any ideas? The inverse sign is slightly different than the one used for 12 (XII).

goodpost.gif all