Tabbing/Learning The Album - Guitar and Bass

Gilbertk

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Jul 13 2012, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jul 10 2012, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 07:05 PM)
Tabs are the hack musicians learning tool. Learn by ear like a real player.

This is the most ignorant thing I've read on the forums in some time. Playing it by ear involves a ton of trial and error. Not everyone has time to do that. Let me use similar logic: can you modify your system files so that you can completely optimize your computer's performance or appearance? If not then you don't really know how to use a computer.

He's right and I totally agree with him. Learning by ear takes time but it really does train you to identify notes and where they are on the fretboard the instant you hear them so you get to the point where learning stuff without tabs becomes easy. Tabs really slow down the development of your ear when you use them as a crutch to lean on even for stuff that isn't that complex.

I used to use tabs growing up learning some Dream Theater stuff because they are just ridiculously more complex than Rush ever was and it gets very hard to pick up every note by ear, but most Rush doesnt require tabs. There's nothing on this album even inexperienced musicians cant learn just by listening to it. It shouldnt take too much trial and error at all.

Geddy doesnt play any of those crazy little runs he used to do and the bass is pretty up front. Yeah I get why you would want a tab for that 2nd little bass run in YYZ, but he really doesnt have a lot of stuff like that throughout their entire catalog. Most of it can be learned by ear without much time spent figuring it out.

For guitar its a little different because there's chords involved, but for bass there is just no reason why anyone would need tabs for this album or most of their others.

What do you Laaaack???

You lack empathy and consideration of what others are capable of.

You don't seem to give a damn to let others get their fair share of, their fair share of...

dazed025.gif

If empathy is what he lacks, he should consult with GeminiRising! That man is so empathetic that he was willing to listen to the whole album just for us!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 13 2012, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (RushIslander @ Jul 13 2012, 10:41 PM)

This is the most ignorant thing I've read on the forums in some time. Playing it by ear involves a ton of trial and error. Not everyone has time to do that. Let me use similar logic: can you modify your system files so that you can completely optimize your computer's performance or appearance? If not then you don't really know how to use a computer.

He's right and I totally agree with him. Learning by ear takes time but it really does train you to identify notes and where they are on the fretboard the instant you hear them so you get to the point where learning stuff without tabs becomes easy. Tabs really slow down the development of your ear when you use them as a crutch to lean on even for stuff that isn't that complex.

I used to use tabs growing up learning some Dream Theater stuff because they are just ridiculously more complex than Rush ever was and it gets very hard to pick up every note by ear, but most Rush doesnt require tabs. There's nothing on this album even inexperienced musicians cant learn just by listening to it. It shouldnt take too much trial and error at all.

Geddy doesnt play any of those crazy little runs he used to do and the bass is pretty up front. Yeah I get why you would want a tab for that 2nd little bass run in YYZ, but he really doesnt have a lot of stuff like that throughout their entire catalog. Most of it can be learned by ear without much time spent figuring it out.

For guitar its a little different because there's chords involved, but for bass there is just no reason why anyone would need tabs for this album or most of their others.

What do you Laaaack???

You lack empathy and consideration of what others are capable of.

You don't seem to give a damn to let others get their fair share of, their fair share of...

dazed025.gif

If empathy is what he lacks, he should consult with GeminiRising! That man is so empathetic that he was willing to listen to the whole album just for us!

No, that's just pathetic.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jul 13 2012, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jul 13 2012, 09:00 AM)
Anyone got the tab book? Any good?

I ordered it. They called me back the next day and said that they won't have it in stock for another couple of days still and will then ship ASAP. Therefore, I'm guessing it will arive mid to late next week.

I ordered it, too. On Monday. Haven't got any phone calls or emails so I assume it's on track.

Pretty much already have The Garden and The Wreckers down. Fiddled around with The Anarchist but need the book....

Guess I'm just a hack. moon.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/Guitar_by_PoisonTouch.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 08:33 PM)

I disagree. People learn in different ways. I picked up a guitar two weeks ago. Right off the bat I started learning some songs via tabs, but at the same time I spend a nearly equal amount of time learning scales and theory. I feel that I'm learning by practicing scales. By practicing scales over and over I learn what sound comes from where on the fretboard. By mixing up notes within scales I learn what sounds good and create very basic guitar riffs. By taking what I learn in the scales and looking back to some of the songs I'm learning from the tabs (brace yourself for this one) I develop a better understanding of how these riffs are composed WITHOUT endless trial and error from day one.

I asked my friend who has been playing guitar for about eight years, has played many shows with local bands and he seems to think I'm doing it right.

Trenken, we know that you consider yourself to be an expert-level singer, bass player, and songwriter.

But all we've heard so far is your Hemispheres singing clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

You should post some more clips of your singing and bass playing from your album, so we have a better idea of your overall talent level as a musician.

After years of hearing you talk about how good you are, I for one was expecting a lot more from your singing clip.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 16 2012, 12:48 PM)
You should post some more clips of your singing and bass playing from your album, so we have a better idea of your overall talent level as a musician.

After years of hearing you talk about how good you are, I for one was expecting a lot more from your singing clip.

trenken

ummmm...ok!!!

they bow defeated, we have an idea of what kind of talent he is with that clip!!!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 16 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 16 2012, 12:48 PM)

trenken

ummmm...ok!!!

they bow defeated, we have an idea of what kind of talent he is with that clip!!!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 08:47 PM)

Oh, like I didnt when someone said I couldnt hit the vocals in Hemispheres, and still did? I love proving people wrong. Ive been playing bass for 20 years and grew up playing Dream Theater who is far more complex than Rush ever was.

Stay tuned!

Yes i'm sure many of us would be interested in hearing your Dream Theater bass covers, maybe you could do Scenes From A Memory to begin with? rofl3.gif

Got an email today saying that my CA sheet music book was shipped! common001.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 17 2012, 02:43 AM)
Got an email today saying that my CA sheet music book was shipped! common001.gif

Sheet music is for hack musicians.

Kidding. tongue.gif

After many years of playing guitar, I say use whatever tool works best for you, whether it's tab, sheet music, lessons, or learning by ear.

One of my best learning experiences ever was learning the guitar/sax breaks in 21st Century Schizoid Man by slowing down the song on an old-school reel-to-reel tape recorder. tongue.gif But I also learned a lot of tunes from tabs in the old Guitar For The Practicing Musician magazine. All of these methods, plus lessons, helped me develop my ear over the years.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 12:32 PM)
It looks like Trenken has blocked public access to his Hemispheres singing video. unsure.gif

I wonder why he would do that? confused13.gif

Really? That's cool. Maybe the CIA is looking into how his voice can repel terrorists...certainly repelled everyone on this forum who listened to it.

Makes the howling of hades sound like pillow talk rofl3.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 17 2012, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 12:32 PM)
It looks like Trenken has blocked public access to his Hemispheres singing video. unsure.gif

Really? That's cool. Maybe the CIA is looking into how his voice can repel terrorists...certainly repelled everyone on this forum who listened to it.

Makes the howling of hades sound like pillow talk rofl3.gif

trink39.gif

He sounded like Tiny Tim on Helium. Clown can't sing to save his life rofl3.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 11:32 AM)

nothing wrong with that video. Actually, it was pretty good...let's hear YOURS.

But I never claimed to sing as well as Geddy on the Hemispheres tour and play bass as well as Geddy Lee or John Myung and then post videos to "prove" it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 05:30 PM)

But I never claimed to sing as well as Geddy on the Hemispheres tour and play bass as well as Geddy Lee or John Myung and then post videos to "prove" it. confused13.gif

no, but you sure like calling him out on it....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:34 PM)

Sorry, it's not often you see someone claiming to be as good as Geddy in his prime (and implicitly better than Geddy now) and trying to prove this by posting an 18 second video clip. That doesn't strike you as a bit ridiculous?

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:34 PM)

Sorry, it's not often you see someone claiming to be as good as Geddy in his prime (and implicitly better than Geddy now) and trying to prove this by posting an 18 second video clip. That doesn't strike you as a bit ridiculous?

I'm not going to get into this because I don't care (you do though)....but if I'm not mistaken, he said he could sing it better than Geddy could these days....which is likely true. Move on already....