Mike Portnoy Barely Prevails Over Neil Peart

drummer40

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 28 2012, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 28 2012, 06:02 PM)
Gavin Harrison is better than both.

This.

I love Mike Portnoy as a drummer, but Gavin Harrison can do more with just his one bass drum/double bass pedal and his cymbal chime thing than what Mike could do with his three bass drums and all his cymbals.

Neil and Mike were amazing in their heyday, but now their playing is fairly boring and not all that creative. In contrast, Gavin and a whole host of other drummers continue to impress the hell out of me.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jun 28 2012, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 28 2012, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 28 2012, 06:02 PM)
Gavin Harrison is better than both.

This.

I love Mike Portnoy as a drummer, but Gavin Harrison can do more with just his one bass drum/double bass pedal and his cymbal chime thing than what Mike could do with his three bass drums and all his cymbals.

and yet I enjoy the style and sound of Mikes playing better. Talent wise, Gavin is a monster, but there is more to playing music.

Alex Lifeson is average in the realm of guitar players, talent wise, but I love his playing so who cares. atickhum.gif

Well we're not judging the music, though...we're judging the drummers based on proficiency, etc. I mean, I presume. This isn't a Rush vs. DT question or PT versus Rush, so it really comes down to them.

Regardless of whether you like the music or not, Harrison is still the better drummer in my estimation. If you switched all these guys around and had them all record music with the other's respective bands, I'm guessing Harrison would still be the standout player in all cases, no matter which band you paired him with.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 28 2012, 06:26 PM)
Personally, I've always liked Portnoy's drumming better. I think he's technically more skilled, and easily more versatile.

I certainly respect Peart more though.

Then you must jizz over Gavin Harrison.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 28 2012, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 28 2012, 07:51 PM)
lar$ ulrich is the bes!!!

z7shysterical.gif

x2

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 28 2012, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 28 2012, 08:57 PM)
http://puu.sh/ErEe.png

I stand corrected.

The O5Ric stuff really shows off his chops, but the music is just OK, IMO.

GH has lost some spotlight because he hasn't played on any album that has done well recently. His playing on OSI was very moderate. I wonder if Kevin Moore intended this.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 29 2012, 07:38 AM)
Well we're not judging the music, though...we're judging the drummers based on proficiency, etc. I mean, I presume. This isn't a Rush vs. DT question or PT versus Rush, so it really comes down to them.

Regardless of whether you like the music or not, Harrison is still the better drummer in my estimation. If you switched all these guys around and had them all record music with the other's respective bands, I'm guessing Harrison would still be the standout player in all cases, no matter which band you paired him with.

Who's judging proficiency, that stupid poll? Yeah, I doubt it. atickhum.gif

This Rag magazine is a Joke. They should change their name to the Travis Barker Weekly because the guy is in almost every issue. Btw, I think Portnoy is a better drummer than Neil.