Guitarists- what do you think of Alex's playing

jacob's ladder

I am really digging this album, I consider it a masterpiece. That being said I would really like to hear some longer jams & longer guitar solos. I'm not a guitarist, but to me it seems like Alex hardly even solos in this album (with the exception of caravan & headlong flight), but it is just holding out notes & feedback etc.

Can someone who plays guitar tell me what you think of his playing on this album? Is it tougher to play than it sounds?

Thanks! 1022.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Jun 28 2012, 10:55 AM)
I am really digging this album, I consider it a masterpiece. That being said I would really like to hear some longer jams & longer guitar solos. I'm not a guitarist, but to me it seems like Alex hardly even solos in this album (with the exception of caravan & headlong flight), but it is just holding out notes & feedback etc.

Can someone who plays guitar tell me what you think of his playing on this album? Is it tougher to play than it sounds?

Thanks! 1022.gif

Well it's very short, but he does have a pretty cool solo late in Anarchist. He does some very Kirk Hammett like shredding in Headlong.

As far as chords he just does a lot of normal rock chord progressions and riffs. Lots of power chord stuff. I always wished he used dissonant chords more. He does at the end of Cygnus X-1 I believe, but never got too into it.

Dissonant chords can take a section from sounding very normal to giving it a bit of an edgier sound. They sound a little messy and off key in a way, and it works well when used right. It's hard to find examples of rock bands using it but since I listen to Mars Volta a lot (thanks to Neil), they use dissonant chords a LOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2itoyvCJdQ

Around 3:00 he uses them in the background. Can hear them maybe a little better at 3:30 when the vocals go up higher.

I don't play guitar, but to me it sounds like Lerxst is doing a lot more abstract atmospheric layering ala' Larry Lalonde of Primus. This is especially noticeable in Seven Cities of Gold.

Edited by Todem

I have seen various threads that kind of criticize Alex's playing, or at least insinuate that it isn't anything special. I'm not guitar player but I don't get it. He solos more than he has in 20 years, number one. He has some classic Big Al Riffs, like Clockwork Angels, Caravan, Seven Cities, and Carnies. And he has his best solo since Cut to the Chase with The Garden.

I can't speak to how technical or "hard" it is to play what he plays, but he has always been more about emotion and riffing than technically challenging stuff, and this album I think he shines

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 28 2012, 12:40 PM)
I have seen various threads that kind of criticize Alex's playing, or at least insinuate that it isn't anything special. I'm not guitar player but I don't get it. He solos more than he has in 20 years, number one. He has some classic Big Al Riffs, like Clockwork Angels, Caravan, Seven Cities, and Carnies. And he has his best solo since Cut to the Chase with The Garden.

I can't speak to how technical or "hard" it is to play what he plays, but he has always been more about emotion and riffing than technically challenging stuff, and this album I think he shines

I have to disagree about the Garden being his best in 20 years since Cut to the Chase. CTTC is not even a better solo than Animate or Leave That Thing Alone on the same album. But it is purely subjective of course. I like Cut to the Chase a lot. But Animate and LTTA and heck even Cold Fire are far more emotive and signature Lifeson.

And I would say The Way The Wind Blows guitar work and solo section is sizzling. And the solo in the Main Monkey Business is an amazing 2001 space oddessy trip!

The Garden is a solo where I thought the first measure..." here we go another epic Alex solo" but to be honest....it missed the mark overall. It feels rushed. It felt like a take and like Alex settled. He can play much better than that.

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Those solo's are masterpieces and i would never hold The Garden in those solo's jock.

The Garden is a decent solo, served the song....but that was it. It served what is a fantastic song.

He has much better solo's on CA in Headlong Flight, The title Track and even Caravan than The Garden.

But...it is subject to debate like anything.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 28 2012, 11:19 AM)
I don't play guitar, but to me it sounds like Lerxst is doing a lot more abstract atmospheric layering ala' Larry Lalonde of Primus. This is especially noticeable in Seven Cities of Gold.

I was actually thinking this exact thing the other day. Ler (And Alex) are both so underrated. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 28 2012, 11:46 AM)

I have to disagree about the Garden being his best in 20 years since Cut to the Chase. CTTC is not even a better solo than Animate or Leave That Thing Alone on the same album. But it is purely subjective of course. I like Cut to the Chase a lot. But Animate and LTTA and heck even Cold Fire are far more emotive and signature Lifeson.

And I would say The Way The Wind Blows guitar work and solo section is sizzling. And the solo in the Main Monkey Business is an amazing 2001 space oddessy trip!

The Garden is a solo where I thought the first measure..." here we go another epic Alex solo" but to be honest....it missed the mark overall. It feels rushed. It felt like a take and like Alex settled. He can play much better than that.

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Those solo's are masterpieces and i would never hold The Garden in those solo's jock.

The Garden is a decent solo, served the song....but that was it. It served what is a fantastic song.

He has much better solo's on CA in Headlong Flight, The title Track and even Caravan than The Garden.

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Stuff On CA? Pretty good, but mostly forgettable. WAY to many toys and effects going on.

But...that is a personal preference.

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 11:56 AM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Stuff On CA? Pretty good, but mostly forgettable. WAY to many toys and effects going on.

I guess age is a factor? confused13.gif

It's not his flashiest album, but for the most part, what he is playing is exactly what works in the songs. My only complaint is that his solos are too short. Not in the sense that I think every solo needs to be an extended, epic piece, but there are some where, to my ear at least, it almost sounds like he recorded a really awesome solo and then just decided to chop the second half off.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 28 2012, 12:11 PM)
It's not his flashiest album, but for the most part, what he is playing is exactly what works in the songs. My only complaint is that his solos are too short. Not in the sense that I think every solo needs to be an extended, epic piece, but there are some where, to my ear at least, it almost sounds like he recorded a really awesome solo and then just decided to chop the second half off.

I second this!!!! yes.gif

Absolutely what I was thinking! I would love to see some epic solos like 'here again' or 'freewill' etc. fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 28 2012, 11:57 AM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Not sure about age.

Some may agree but seeing him Live certainly puts to bed any ideas of "Is he too old now".

He's amazing live.

I stick with too many effects.

smile.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 12:56 PM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Oh indeed on Freewill and Jacobs Ladder.

Crap all of Permanent Waves my absolute favorite Rush album and the very best Alex performance hands down for me.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 28 2012, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 12:56 PM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Oh indeed on Freewill and Jacobs Ladder.

Crap all of Permanent Waves my absolute favorite Rush album and the very best Alex performance hands down for me.

One of my favorites as well. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 01:12 PM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Not sure about age.

Some may agree but seeing him Live certainly puts to bed any ideas of "Is he too old now".

He's amazing live.

smile.gif trink39.gif

Not talking about physical skills....but different tastes....not feeling the need to be as flashy, acrobatic or inventive as when you are young, but instead, safer, more subdued and more subtle......due to.........you know.....maturity...... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 28 2012, 01:12 PM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Freewill....

That's Alex.

Jacobs ladder.

Some amazing riffs...

That's Alex.

Not sure about age.

He's amazing live.

smile.gif trink39.gif

Yeah, I see where effects come into play too.....

I find his playing great. Lots of arpeggios and suspended chords. All of it may not be as flashy as some of his past work but it's emotive. As a musician you want people to react to your music emotionally. Sadly a lot of guitarists try to get people, specifically other musicians tongue.gif, to react with envy by trying to play 900 MPH. I'm glad Alex doesn't feel the need for that. Edited by hunter

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Headlong Flight IS NO WAY A BETTER SOLO THAN THE GARDEN.

Holy f**k! The Garden has 10 TIMES THE FEEL.

Shredding a Solo does not make. EMOTION, is what MAKES a solo. There is no Emotion in HF, just a wah pedal and really fast notes.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 28 2012, 11:35 AM)
Trenken....with all due repsect. Headlong flight is classic Alex like shredding.

Kirk Hammet is influenced heavily by Alex Lifeson.

On the flip side I know Alex has heavy influences from other guitar players like The Edge, Andy Summers, Jimmy Page, David Gilmore etc.

But I think you got it backwards here.

What he said! yes.gif eyesre4.gif And thank God Alex isn't doing the Mars Volta "edgy" stuff on CA. He did an entire album of "edgy" guitar (VT) and I'm glad to see him going back to his strengths: riffs, power chords, textural parts, and finally some more lead work. smile.gif

I don't think Alex takes a back seat on CA at all. no.gif On nearly every track, there is great guitar work and some unexpected Lerxst moments. My favorites right now are 1) the Robin Trower lead work and What You're Doing riffing in Seven Cities 1022.gif and 2) Alex's unexpected GUP-style solo/chording part in Wish Them Well. 1022.gif

As a player, this is the first album in a while where I've wanted to pick up the Les Paul and learn the tunes to jam on with my drummer friend. Seven Cities, CA, and HF are first up. 1022.gif

AlexFinal.gif notworthy.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 28 2012, 03:32 PM)

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Headlong Flight IS NO WAY A BETTER SOLO THAN THE GARDEN.

Holy f**k! The Garden has 10 TIMES THE FEEL.

Shredding a Solo does not make. EMOTION, is what MAKES a solo. There is no Emotion in HF, just a wah pedal and really fast notes.

I am all about emotion.

Dude....The Garden feels forced compared to a lot of Alex's great emotive solos.

Shredding does not make a solo automatically great.

But his shredding and feel on HF is outstanding. The good old phaser shift sound/Wahwah....the solo feels natural...like a great moment. Like a great take.

Compared to The Garden. It feels fantastic.

The Garden is a good solo...I am not saying it is not good. But it is so far from his best.

And I was responding to best in 20 years?

Edited by Todem