Am I the only one who feels somewhat underwhelmed?

CantStopThinkingBig

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 21 2012, 01:10 PM)
It's the mastering of this CD that's the problem. You want to hear it the way it should sound? Get the vinyl!

goodpost.gif

Taking this further into the philosophy of Rush production I will add this:

It my honest opinion that it is the "production/mastering" that makes older Rush albums still sound great 30+ years on. Memorable, pleasant to listen to. (Not just the music)

If 2112 would have been made using today's production/mastering it would have been UN-listenable.

If ANY of those classic albums were treated as such, the resulting sonic tragedy would have severely limited Rush's success.

I feel that that's whats happening with the last 4 albums.

The sonic onslaught is preventing these albums from becoming "classics" due to the overall sonic stage the music is set upon.

It bothers me to see people on hear continue to think that those of us who are complaining are complaining about the music or the arrangements or Geds voice...etc...NOT TRUE.

This album for me is MUSICALLY FANTASTIC.

These song are going to kick ass live. Best album for me since CP.

I predict this:

Once Rush tours and releases a live blu ray and cd, Not Many will want to listen to the original Clockwork Angels CD because its going to sound sooo much better sonically live.

I read in an Article that Nick Rask..........said he hoped that "True" Rush fans could enjoy Clockwork A without bickering about the mix/mastering of it.

I tell you I take a bit of offense at this. I'm 42, married with 3 grown up kids and have been a fan all my life. I'm just a critical listener who has actually does have a home listening room. I don't give a rats ass about ear buds/computer speakers/or even car audio or Air Play.

I WANT Rush and crew to know how I feel because I've earned the right via tickets, buying albums (sometimes the same ones 4 or 5 times) and Holy shit I've spend a fortune on this band over the years.

I really don't think its asking to much for them to at least acknowledge that the sonic stage this music sits on, was a compromise.

Problem is, Rush and Industry compromise is an unholy statement.

Age has tempered the fight.

Its just....sad.

It does not have to be that way.

All the world may be their stage, but it was US who put them on it.

fists crying.gif

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Karena @ Jun 21 2012, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 21 2012, 02:13 PM)
All the world may be their stage, but it was US who put them on it.

ready, DUCK!

Lol, why duck?

It pretty common knowledge that Rush's success has always hinged upon this large cult following it has always had. I don't see any reason for that statement to upset anyone.

It wasn't radio play or "pop" tunes that kept them going. It was US. It was our dedication to them, whatever the direction they took that allowed them to continue.

In fact, it's more of a testament to those of us who no matter what, will always support this band.

Rush knows this.

If that weren't true, then Rush would have ended with VT. (Or if you really wanna get picky, Careless of Steel) during the down the tubes tour.

What those of us "outlaws" would like to see is a return to Sonic separation.

A time when you could "focus" your ears to any part of an album and listen to either of them, without being run over by a wall of noise in the process.

NOT! a return musically to the 90's 80's 70's.

But a return to sonic comprehension.

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 21 2012, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 21 2012, 01:15 PM)
It's the mastering of this CD that's the problem. You want to hear it the way it should sound? Get the vinyl!

Yeah, you missing alot of clicks and pops when you listen to the cd.

tongue.gif

I take care of my vinyl. No clicks and pops. My point was that not only does vinyl just sound way better, it's also not brickwall limited in the mastering.

heard the dr is 11 on the vinyl, as opposed to the cd which is 7.

Really appreciate a review/comparison of the vinyl.

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Jun 21 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 21 2012, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 21 2012, 01:15 PM)

Yeah, you missing alot of clicks and pops when you listen to the cd.

tongue.gif

I take care of my vinyl. No clicks and pops. My point was that not only does vinyl just sound way better, it's also not brickwall limited in the mastering.

heard the dr is 11 on the vinyl, as opposed to the cd which is 7.

Really appreciate a review/comparison of the vinyl.

Yea I'd like to hear a good quality review of this as well.

Seems to me that the Vinyl record wasn't "separately" mastered. It was "ported" to vinyl from the digital master so I'm not sure about that huge DR 11- 7 difference.

Could be placebo effect.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Jun 21 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jun 21 2012, 01:00 PM)
I know the story arc but feel like I'm looking at 12 Polaroid pictures trying to make out a life story - I expect the novel will fill in all the holes and make me appreciate CA even more.

Very well said.

The story is clearer to me now, which makes me love the album still more.

Listen with the lyric sheet. Listen lots. Catch what Neil told DJ Jim Ladd about the album's story. The storyline makes sense, and enhances one's enjoyment of the album. And yeah, the novel should help, too.

I dont look at Rush as having a cult following to keep going thru the years. Yes i believe they had that label in the 70s... But no radio play where you listening to the radio in the 80s or just not born yet lol... I heard Tom Sawyer , Limelight , Freewill , Big Money , Show Dont tell, Roll the bones , Subdivisions ,Spirit of the Radio, Time stand still all quite exclusively during the 80s... I would say someone like Zappa needed cult following King Crimson maybe...But i dont agree with label on Rush. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 22 2012, 12:12 PM)
I dont look at Rush as having a cult following to keep going thru the years. Yes i believe they had that label in the 70s... But no radio play where you listening to the radio in the 80s or just not born yet lol... I heard Tom Sawyer , Limelight , Freewill , Big Money , Show Dont tell, Roll the bones , Subdivisions ,Spirit of the Radio, Time stand still all quite exclusively during the 80s... I would say someone like Zappa needed cult following King Crimson maybe...But i dont agree with label on Rush. Just my opinion.

Of all those songs you listed, yes they had radio play. However a lot of people changed the station when those songs came on except for Rush's "Cult Following".

Hey I didn't give them that title: Geddy did in Beyond the lighted stage when he said; He himself considered Rush the worlds biggest cult band.

Just sayin.

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 22 2012, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 22 2012, 12:12 PM)
I dont look at Rush as having a cult following to keep going thru the years. Yes i believe they had that label in the 70s... But no radio play where you listening to the radio in the 80s or just not born yet lol...  I heard Tom Sawyer , Limelight , Freewill , Big Money , Show Dont tell, Roll the bones , Subdivisions ,Spirit of the Radio, Time stand still all quite exclusively during the 80s... I would say someone like Zappa needed cult following King Crimson maybe...But i dont agree with label on Rush. Just my opinion.

Of all those songs you listed, yes they had radio play. However a lot of people changed the station when those songs came on except for Rush's "Cult Following".

Hey I didn't give them that title: Geddy did in Beyond the lighted stage when he said; He himself considered Rush the worlds biggest cult band.

Just sayin.

Rush without a doubt has one of the biggest cult followings in music, I mean some people just hate this band but we couldn't be more obsessed, or at least myself wub.gif

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 22 2012, 12:59 PM)
o.k. you guys win lol.. i just remember looking back in 80s all my buddies dug Rush..And nobody turned them off.. Maybe for Van Halen lol But i agree they have maybe digressed to that point since

Hey no worries, Its a thing we should all be proud of!

No winners or losers here.

We gave this Band our love and never let go. Not many bands can say they have fans like Rush has.

We're all brothers and sisters! (We fight like brothers and sisters too!)

Peace! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 21 2012, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 20 2012, 08:18 PM)
Don't get me wrong, it's a good album... and it blows away S&A (which isn't hard to do). But I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much... maybe it was all the anticipation. I also feel like the 3 singles we got to hear ahead of time are the main highlights of the album, so everything else is just "meh". I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

I agree. Its terrifically mediocre, imo.

I would love to know what you like listening to smile.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 22 2012, 06:25 PM)
Don't get me wrong, it's a good album... and it blows away S&A (which isn't hard to do). But I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much... maybe it was all the anticipation. I also feel like the 3 singles we got to hear ahead of time are the main highlights of the album, so everything else is just "meh". I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

good music... albums like Moving Pictures and Vapor Trails

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 22 2012, 06:25 PM)

He's a Burt Bacharach closet type.

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 22 2012, 11:12 AM)

It's hard to label them as having a "cult following" when they've sold over 40 millions albums...

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 21 2012, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 21 2012, 07:44 PM)
Honestly, I could care less about the story. It's ALL about the music.....

Agreed. Like I once said, if the music doesn't first speak to me, the lyrics never will.

I feel EXACTLY the opposite.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 25 2012, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 21 2012, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 21 2012, 07:44 PM)
Honestly, I could care less about the story. It's ALL about the music.....

Agreed. Like I once said, if the music doesn't first speak to me, the lyrics never will.

I feel EXACTLY the opposite.

so you don't like instrumentals?

When you compare old Rush (more "out there") and new Rush (repeated chord progressions, more mainstream) you have to consider the music industry's influence on the band. When they have no influence, you get stuff like 2112, which was basically a giant middle finger to their record label. But after almost 40 years of working with the music industry, you get the less creative stuff we have today, which is based less on melody and more on chord progressions and would appeal more to the average person.

I do not like chord progression Rush. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of chord progressions there are probably thousands of bands that could fill that need.

------------------------

I fell in love with Rush after my first listen to Moving Pictures. One listen. It absolutely blew me away. Now after one listen to CA, I can't even tell the songs apart from each other. None of them really stood out to me (except for the three singles I had already heard).

Great albums only need one listen. Good albums require many more. I think that in time I will begin to recognize CA as a good album, but it will never be a great album.

And I think we can all agree that great is better than good, right?

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 25 2012, 11:32 PM)
When you compare old Rush (more "out there") and new Rush (repeated chord progressions, more mainstream) you have to consider the music industry's influence on the band. When they have no influence, you get stuff like 2112, which was basically a giant middle finger to their record label. But after almost 40 years of working with the music industry, you get the less creative stuff we have today, which is based less on melody and more on chord progressions and would appeal more to the average person.

I do not like chord progression Rush. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of chord progressions there are probably thousands of bands that could fill that need.

------------------------

I fell in love with Rush after my first listen to Moving Pictures. One listen. It absolutely blew me away. Now after one listen to CA, I can't even tell the songs apart from each other. None of them really stood out to me (except for the three singles I had already heard).

Great albums only need one listen. Good albums require many more. I think that in time I will begin to recognize CA as a good album, but it will never be a great album.

except that Hemispheres, AFTK, P/g, Signals, and PoW took several listens to get into.

Sorry, wrong again dude.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 26 2012, 12:43 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 25 2012, 11:32 PM)

------------------------

except that Hemispheres, AFTK, P/g, Signals, and PoW took several listens to get into.

(For you.)

Sorry, wrong again dude.

Again?