Clockwork Angels is....

Tick

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 21 2012, 11:54 AM)
Music is subjective. All ears were not built alike. atickhum.gif

Yes. Some have more wax, hair, and holes than others.

yes.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 04:17 PM)
In the top 10 of all-time Rush albums.  its that good.

I have it in the top 10 too at number 10...

trink36.gif

DEF in top ten for me........only albums to me that ecclipse it, some not by much, are Hem, Perm, Moving, Signals, Grace, Power, and HYF..........fOR NOW....let's see how it stacks up a year from now.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 20 2012, 03:32 PM)
You can all think what you like, but the album is a classic.
Snakes And Arrows is an ok Rush album.

3 or 4 good songs but nowhere near a classic for me. it doesn't flow along easily imo. too much geddy singing which i didn't want on this album and some of the songs are just all over the place. doesn't have that flow they had from the 70's and some of the 80's.

See this is what happened when humans got Cryogenically Frozen in the early 80's. I think it's time for another nap!

schla03.gif wacko.gif schla03.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 21 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 21 2012, 11:54 AM)
Music is subjective. All ears were not built alike. atickhum.gif

Yes. Some have more wax, hair, and holes than others.

yes.gif

Stop looking in my ears, bitch! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 18 2012, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 18 2012, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2012, 08:04 AM)
Good thing that is just opinion, Tickster. S&A still ranks over CA with me. S&A is much more dynamic. While CA is in your face, S&A is easier to listen to start to finish without wall of sound mix issues. You can hear Alex's guitar much more clearly as well as Neil's drums. CA is very good, but to me, it just doesn't top S&A as a complete release.

Remember Gompers, opinions are like assholes. I happen to have an asshole, and my asshole is the right asshole.

Snakes does not hold a candle, in my humble asshole. Clockwork Angels has better crafted songs, that have more layers than a vidalia onion.

You have an opinionated asshole, as do I. Neither is right or wrong. What you like in a song and what I do are different. I like Lobster with a nice green salad a baked potato and glass of wine and you like pizza with everything possible on it and extra cheese with a pitcher of beer. Both are great meals. atickhum.gif

I had Lobster for Fathers day. No salad was necessary. atickhum.gif

Well, I like S&A so feel free to toss my salad.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 19 2012, 07:59 AM)
A good late career album, but not as great as anything from the classic 70s -80s era.

This is true and yet it still makes the top 10.

Except it is as good as 70's and 80's stuff. This album is better then...

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

The problem is, its hard for a current album to ever measure up to the nostalgic warm and fuzzy feelings we hold on to from our beloved albums of our youth.

We are all guity of that. Its human nature to look back fondly as we get old. Things that were good at the time, often become great as the years pass.

If Rush gave us Power Windows now, it would not be hailed as a classic? Who knows.

If Clockwork Angels was born in the 80's it would be a classic today in most peoples eyes.

In my opinion.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 21 2012, 02:09 PM)
A good late career album, but not as great as anything from the classic 70s -80s era.

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

The problem is, its hard for a current album to ever measure up to the nostalgic warm and fuzzy feelings we hold on to from our beloved albums of our youth.

We are all guity of that. Its human nature to look back fondly as we get old. Things that were good at the time, often become great as the years pass.

If Rush gave us Power Windows now, it would not be hailed as a classic? Who knows.

If Clockwork Angels was born in the 80's it would be a classic today in most peoples eyes.

In my opinion.

I've got it slightly behind Power Windows but I accept the claim that it could be as good, and it might be as good as Fly By Night and Caress of Steel, I've got it ahead of RUSH. So no argument from me...

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

In my opinion.

Yeah, I was having this same discussion with a friend . He was saying how it isn't fair to compare CA to all the classics we grew up on ,since we've been listening to those albums for years. Power Windows was the first Rush I heard, on vinyl, back in '86....so it holds a special place for me.

Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 21 2012, 04:07 PM)

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

In my opinion.

Yeah, I was having this same discussion with a friend . He was saying how it isn't fair to compare CA to all the classics we grew up on ,since we've been listening to those albums for years. Power Windows was the first Rush I heard, on vinyl, back in '86....so it holds a special place for me.

While it may be true we each hold a special generational affinity to certain albums,

I ask you this:

Do the older albums still sound sonically pleasing (even if its not your favorite?)

What about VT to CA? Do they sound just as sonically pleasing? Or do you find yourself, grimacing or "turning it down" on a more often basis than you would say, Signals? (Even if Signals wasn't your favorite,its still pleasing to the ears to listen to right?)

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 21 2012, 05:22 PM)

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

In my opinion.

While it may be true we each hold a special generational affinity to certain albums,

I ask you this:

Do the older albums still sound sonically pleasing (even if its not your favorite?)

What about VT to CA? Do they sound just as sonically pleasing? Or do you find yourself, grimacing or "turning it down" on a more often basis than you would say, Signals? (Even if Signals wasn't your favorite,its still pleasing to the ears to listen to right?)

I'm not sure I quite follow? Some albums age better than others.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 21 2012, 05:14 PM)

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

In my opinion.

I ask you this:

What I mean Tick is that regardless of the musical generation you happen to like about Rush, the new "production" values render the new stuff harder to enjoy regardless of the musical content.

Old stuff will always sound "sonically great" even if you hate the musical aspect of it.

This new album is absolutely amazing. Hands down the best in a long time.

I however, find it hard to listen to at reference volumes or even a bit below.

It can be harsh.

I blame Alex's guitar for most of it.

WRITTEN FOR ME. I am not yet mature enough to just let people's hatred and evil just bounce off of me as the theme of the album suggest, as I still hold a lot of the hatred and angst in my hardened heart, obviously NP has been able to deal with it.

It is one of the best, if not the best album, because of the incredible lyrics. I'm pretty much a new Rush fan ... I mean I've heard the classics all my life, but didn't really get into them until relatively recently.

I am lyrics person, and that is why I love Rush, and I love the whole concept album concept.

I understand people's concern about the wall of sound, but I didn't expect anything different when I saw it was a roadrunner record.

I can't wait to see Rush live, in Atlanta, and I can't think of a better album to see promoted first.

I can't quit listening to this album ... it just gets better and better.

Just my honest opinion, so let the insults begin.

QUOTE (Aikenrooster @ Jun 21 2012, 05:24 PM)
WRITTEN FOR ME.  I am not yet mature enough to just let people's hatred and evil just bounce off of me as the theme of the album suggest, as I still hold a lot of the hatred and angst in my hardened heart, obviously NP has been able to deal with it.

It is one of the best, if not the best album, because of the incredible lyrics.  I'm pretty much a new Rush fan ... I mean I've heard the classics all my life, but didn't really get into them until relatively recently.

I am lyrics person, and that is why I love Rush, and I love the whole concept album concept.

I understand people's concern about the wall of sound, but I didn't expect anything different when I saw it was a roadrunner record.

I can't wait to see Rush live, in Atlanta, and I can't think of a better album to see promoted first.

No insults from me, congrats and welcome!

It is a fantastic album and once you hear this live, it will forever change your life. I promise.

People like you are the reason the "phenomenon" of Rush will continue forever.

Best wishes, and best seats!

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 21 2012, 05:23 PM)

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

In my opinion.

I ask you this:

What I mean Tick is that regardless of the musical generation you happen to like about Rush, the new "production" values render the new stuff harder to enjoy regardless of the musical content.

Old stuff will always sound "sonically great" even if you hate the musical aspect of it.

It can be harsh.

Never grimace, never turn them down, don't find them taxing, sound great to me.

QUOTE (Aikenrooster @ Jun 21 2012, 05:24 PM)
WRITTEN FOR ME. I am not yet mature enough to just let people's hatred and evil just bounce off of me as the theme of the album suggest, as I still hold a lot of the hatred and angst in my hardened heart, obviously NP has been able to deal with it.

It is one of the best, if not the best album, because of the incredible lyrics. I'm pretty much a new Rush fan ... I mean I've heard the classics all my life, but didn't really get into them until relatively recently.

Im so glad you feel that way and I share a lot or most of what you said!

It's sad that people like you, who is expressing honest and sincere love for the album, expects to be insulted here thanks to a rotten few who label people who love new Rush music as delusional fanbois. That pisses me off too.

QUOTE (jc4gd @ Jun 18 2012, 10:36 PM)
......... blah, blah, blah...........if it's Rush, it's all good!

goodpost.gif

No matter how crappy of an album Rush creates *cough*Hold Your Fire*cough*, I'll love it anyways... well, if it's bad enough, I'll maybe only like three or so songs from it.

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 21 2012, 06:23 PM)

In my opinion.

I ask you this:

It can be harsh.

As a youngster who was reaching the getting-into-music age at the turn of the century, I've never been bothered with the production values on the newer albums -- mostly because that became the standard by the time I was listening. Yes, if I stop to think about it, I could maybe use a little more oomph in the top end on CA, but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

Perhaps the "nostalgia factor" is why I love the much-maligned Vapor Trails -- for me, VT was the first Rush album to come out after my "Rush awakening". In fact, I owned it before I owned anything from PoW through T4E. Hell, I didn't even know they had been making music up until the mid-90s before that.

All this to say that... yes, you are right, we cannot be objective about the past. I feel like there's about a dozen Neil lyrics that deal with this...

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 21 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 21 2012, 05:23 PM)

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

As good as...

Power Windows

In my opinion.

I ask you this:

It can be harsh.

Never grimace, never turn them down, don't find them taxing, sound great to me.

What we have in this forum is a technical audio breakdown between us folks.

Sometimes when one says it "sounds bad" others think, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? This is the greatest album since......and guess what?

CA IS an amazing musical piece.

But those of us who have criticized the last few releases are not referring to the musicality of the album at all. Its a different beast we refer to.

I firmly believe that if everyone understood the difference, everyone would be clamoring for a new mix/master.

VT was soooo over the top, Rush HAD to admit the fact it was, sonically aweful.

I'm sorry, but from where I sit, everything since, has been "better" yes, but not that far from the same fate.

Its about listening pleasure at any volume folks. Not about the music itself.

If you dropped Caravan into a Moving pictures mix/master , you might be surprised that it would be much more pleasing to your ears while still sounding fresh and new.

I dunno how else to explain it.

Oh wait....I do.

Picture a Hot Chic.

With some sexy classy cloths on.

That's the 70's 80's.

Now picture the same exact Chic with overalls on.

Its harder to see the sexiness.

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 21 2012, 07:56 PM)
Picture a Hot Chic.
With some sexy classy cloths on.
That's the 70's 80's.

Now picture the same exact Chic with overalls on.

Its harder to see the sexiness.

Everybody just image-searched "hot chick in overalls", didn't they?

I'm really glad my ears don't register the fact the album isn't "sonically great".

It is just plain great for me. I actually need to chill on playing Clockwork Angels before I wear it out. I have not been this into a Rush album in a long time. Can't get the songs out of my brain. bacon.gif