Touring with an Orchestra

ScottT67

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do losing it, is there Any doubt, they will have Ben Mink sit in on that!!! smile.gif

( For those who don't know: Ben recorded the electric violin solo on Losing it, and a grip of music with Ged on MFH)

It would be Epic!!!

EmotionDetector - Regarding your Set list...

lol smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about them choosing a setlist that will put us to sleep! The strings won't determine everything they play, but there presence will affect the gravity of the situation.

Barry Posted:

"Not having Aimee Mann on the road with them has never stopped them from playing Time Stands Still... >snip"

I can see it now: "Ladies and gentlemen, at this time we'd like to welcome to the Stage, Aimee Mann!"

I Would be so totally cool with this! Aimee sings some strong backing vocals on Time Stand Still (not just the 1 line). I say go fo it! smile.gif

Split feelings on this one:

Pro: Will be great to hear the orchestra on the CA songs. they enhance the music on the CD and will do the same live.

Con: DO NOT want to hear an orchestra muddy up the classic songs we love, with one exception:

I think this confirms for sure that they are playing LOSING IT, which is simply amazing.

BUT: Overall, I dont know how I feel about this announcement.

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 05:31 PM)

Pro: Will be great to hear the orchestra on the CA songs. they enhance the music on the CD and will do the same live.

Con: DO NOT want to hear an orchestra muddy up the classic songs we love, with one exception:

I think this confirms for sure that they are playing LOSING IT, which is simply amazing.

I think you can take it to the bank that Manhattan Project is in the set list as well.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

It seems that they're really adamant about bringing back old songs, that they've either never played or haven't played in a while. Good...maybe we won''t get the same songs again.

Nobody's Hero is the very first song I think they should consider. Since it actually has strings in it. And anything from the Power Windows, Hold Your Fire era. A few songs I can think of are: Marathon (duh), Mystic Rhythms, Manhattan Project, Prime Mover, Mission.

What I think they should do is this:

First set with the orchestra. All the CwA songs and other songs they want to use the orchestra for.

Second set without the orchestra. Your typical Rush rock show. All the heavy rock songs that definitely should not have an orchestra

Edited by GuitarPlyr01

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 11:32 AM)
I don't think it's going to happen. For the sound dynamics to be right, Rush would have to turn way down. There's only so much you can amplify a string section before it starts to sound synthetic, and at that point, you might as well be using recorded samples in the first place.

I saw the Moody Blues do this and it sucked. In order for the orchestra to sounds right, the band had to turn way down. so during the songs, the audience had to be stone quiet. Even slight talking was audible. Horrible, horrible show.

You'd be surprised how much they actually wouldn't have to turn down.

Ever heard of these guys?

There's a drummer, two guitar players, a bass player, two keyboard players, AND they have an 8 piece ensemble on the side. The orchestra is actually very loud and very clearly there.

Now imagine RUSH. Just 3 other guys on top of an 8 piece ensemble.

They could play the same volume as they always have. It wouldn't make a difference

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jun 19 2012, 07:58 PM)
Am I the only one who seriously doubts that Losing It will be performed?

My doubt comes from the fact that there is hardly any guitar (or real bass) in that song to speak of. I am pretty sure that Alex is NOT crazy about that fact. So, you'll basically have Geddy playing synth, Neil playing drums and the strings. The whole idea of them bringing a string section on tour (which I am still not completely sold on the idea, to be perfectly honest) would be for the three guys to stick with their primary instruments. So, that would mean basically writing a new bass and guitar part for the song.

I say, leave those strings at home! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:46 PM)

My doubt comes from the fact that there is hardly any guitar (or real bass) in that song to speak of. I am pretty sure that Alex is NOT crazy about that fact. So, you'll basically have Geddy playing synth, Neil playing drums and the strings. The whole idea of them bringing a string section on tour (which I am still not completely sold on the idea, to be perfectly honest) would be for the three guys to stick with their primary instruments. So, that would mean basically writing a new bass and guitar part for the song.

Losing It has plenty of Guitar, they are all chords and rhythm but they are there.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 19 2012, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:46 PM)

Losing It has plenty of Guitar, they are all chords and rhythm but they are there.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

*Ahem* We ALL know how dear ol' Lerxst feels about songs that are heavy with the synthesizers. unsure.gif Just don't see it happening. And, I really LIKE that song...a LOT!

I didn't say there WASN'T guitar, I just said that there was HARDLY any guitar. A few chords in the chorus and scattered here and there through the song is not "plenty" as far as I am concerned. Not for a "rock" song, at least. And, the guitar that is there is SERIOUSLY drowned out by the synth and violin. I have to really tweek the EQ and listen through my expensive studio headphones to hear it. cool.gif

Sorry...I'm just not thinking it will happen. I won't be disappointed at all to see it on the set list...just surprised. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jun 19 2012, 08:58 PM)

No, I still doubt it as well.

I do love the song...and I think they could pull it off live. I'm just not sure they will take the chance...even with a string section.

But hey...you never know. We will find out in a few months...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jun 19 2012, 08:58 PM)

No, I still doubt it as well.

I do love the song...and I think they could pull it off live. I'm just not sure they will take the chance...even with a string section.

But hey...you never know. We will find out in a few months...

Well,

That and "The Garden" back to back would be so awesome! 1022.gif 2.gif 653.gif

Nope. Am I the only one who takes EVERYTHING Alex says about upcoming shows with a grain of salt, and seriously doubts there will be a string section in the first place?

Edited by Ron2112

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 07:05 AM)

Nope. Am I the only one who takes EVERYTHING Alex says about upcoming shows with a grain of salt, and seriously doubts there will be a string section in the first place?

laugh.gif

Watch that be the case...

i am not happy at all that they want to use the strings section with some of the classics.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 01:27 PM)

Pro:  Will be great to hear the orchestra on the CA songs.  they enhance the music on the CD and will do the same live.

Con:  DO NOT want to hear an orchestra muddy up the classic songs we love, with one exception:

i am not happy at all that they want to use the strings section with some of the classics.

I have to agree.