Clockwork Angels now available at HDTracks.com

MUSICinTheABsTrAcT

The Hi-Rez tracks sound great.

FYI, HD Tracks has the titles swapped for Carnies and Halo Effect on the download. I sent them a message so it may be corrected soon.

The site shows the tracks switched but they are in the right order on the download.

-Rob

Edited by Robinator

Just curious here...this means that the record label has submitted a 96kHz master to this site for conversion to Flac? If so, how are you sure? I would hope that what they're selling is Not just an up-converted rip of the CD.

It's a valid question, especially because high-res album versions aren't normally released the same day as the standard CD.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2012, 02:30 PM)
Just curious here...this means that the record label has submitted a 96kHz master to this site for conversion to Flac? If so, how are you sure? I would hope that what they're selling is Not just an up-converted rip of the CD.
It's a valid question, especially because high-res album versions aren't normally released the same day as the standard CD.

Roadrunner records reported, some weeks back, that HDTracks.com was going to be the venue for the high-res release . . .

http://news.cygnus-x1.net/2012/04/clockwor...eleased-in.html

Please report back about the high res tracks. The dynamics and mastering on the vinyl is better than the cd, but at least my copy is plagued by QC pressing issues (sibilance, fingerprints all over, etc). So I'm hoping the 24-96 tracks will be an improvement over the murky cd. This album is too good to not have sounding as good as possible.

QUOTE (Robinator @ Jun 12 2012, 11:21 AM)
The Hi-Rez tracks sound great.

FYI, HD Tracks has the titles swapped for Carnies and Halo Effect on the download. I sent them a message so it may be corrected soon.

The site shows the tracks switched but they are in the right order on the download.

-Rob

weird, same with itunes.

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Jun 12 2012, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2012, 02:30 PM)

Roadrunner records reported, some weeks back, that HDTracks.com was going to be the venue for the high-res release . . .

http://news.cygnus-x1.net/2012/04/clockwor...eleased-in.html

That's what I wanted to see. Thank you!

QUOTE (mandydog @ Jun 12 2012, 02:59 PM)
I'm considering this download. A question for the knowledgeable.
How does one get these files burned to a listenable format? Thanks!

They don't. They get played back through a home stereo system that is set up through a computer with a sound card capable of outputting the high resolution format.

This is not made for portability. Portability is the reason why stuff like this needs to exist. Sound/mixing/mastering quality has deteriorated so much over the years due to the need to be portable.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 02:04 PM)

They don't. They get played back through a home stereo system that is set up through a computer with a sound card capable of outputting the high resolution format.

This is not made for portability. Portability is the reason why stuff like this needs to exist. Sound/mixing/mastering quality has deteriorated so much over the years due to the need to be portable.

I have a DVD audio player and many DVD audio discs in 96/24 an 5.1. Surely there is a way to burn these files to a DVD for playback. Sorry I called you "shirley".

QUOTE (mandydog @ Jun 12 2012, 03:13 PM)

I have a DVD audio player and many DVD audio discs in 96/24 an 5.1. Surely there is a way to burn these files to a DVD for playback. Sorry I called you "shirley".

Good point. Perhaps you can burn to a DVD-A. That would be the way I'd guess. For me though I know going through my pc would be easiest.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 12:14 PM)

Good point. Perhaps you can burn to a DVD-A. That would be the way I'd guess. For me though I know going through my pc would be easiest.

Yeah, but that for me defeats the whole purpose of having a supposedly "audiophile" version. If you can't play it through a high-quality amp/pre-amp/intergrated amp & CD player, you're losing a tremendous amount by having to play it through a crappy computer CD player.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 12 2012, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 12:14 PM)

Yeah, but that for me defeats the whole purpose of having a supposedly "audiophile" version. If you can't play it through a high-quality amp/pre-amp/intergrated amp & CD player, you're losing a tremendous amount by having to play it through a crappy computer CD player.

I have high definition analog and digital out on my pc, so it's going into my home stereo which is capable of outputting 24/96 :-)

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 01:14 PM)
So apparently the 24/96 doesn't sound any less compressed than the regular cd. Still has a DR rating of 6. That's pretty compressed folks. Some might not hear it, but it is.

I hear it, and doing my best to ignore it because I love the album.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 12 2012, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 01:14 PM)
So apparently the 24/96 doesn't sound any less compressed than the regular cd.  Still has a DR rating of 6.  That's pretty compressed folks.  Some might not hear it, but it is.

I hear it, and doing my best to ignore it because I love the album.

Me too, it's just disappointing.

I've listened to it 6 times in the last couple days, so obviously it's not completely in the way of me enjoying the album.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:48 PM)
What I'm hearing is that HD tracks has merely upsampled the 16/44.1 tapes to 24/96...waste of time if this is truly the case. They wouldnt be high rez if this is fact.

Where did you hear that? I heard the exact opposite over on the Stevehoffman forums.