Another Clockwork Angels Review

Middletown

QUOTE (Middletown @ Jun 7 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 09:53 PM)
You lost me at saying Wish Them Well is great. That song is baaaaadddddd. It doesnt flow well, feels like a bunch of parts written months apart glued together, and even Neil himself hates it!

Otherwise a good in depth review. I dont personally think its better than anything prior to maybe Presto or RTB, aside from the debut, but its the best of what I consider modern Rush.

Overall for me too many of the songs have parts that dont seem to fit that great together keeping them from having that say perfectly written Limelight iconic sound. It sounds like the parts were jammed out at separate times then put together like a puzzle, unlike in the past when they say down to work on say Big Money, Geddy said songs like that were written with every part intended to be there. Not sure how much I like these just jammed out songs but there some good parts on it for sure.

Your comments are interesting about how the song parts don't fit together. Do you feel the same way about "Xanadu"? "The Camera Eye"? "By-Tor"? "Red Lenses"? "Twilight Zone"?

The flow in the Camera Eye and Xanadu feels much more natural than in any of the song structures found on CA. I love CA right now, but even I know that some parts here and there feel a little clumsy or don't transition quite right.

Edited by Czarcasm

Great review, couldn't agree more :

Off topic, why are these cynics in every thread who are trying to rain on people's parade who...

A.) Love the album beyond words and the band (Isn't that why we're here?)

B.) Feel the need to trash talk someone for having an emotional response "to music", you know... that thing to make you 'feel'?

I'm starting to think you feel it's your duty to pull others down because they feel great listening to some incredible music. Just ditch it and let people enjoy this amazing album.

*Rant off*

Back to CA!

QUOTE (Aeolian @ Jun 8 2012, 12:34 AM)

Off topic, why are these cynics in every thread who are trying to rain on people's parade who...

B.) Feel the need to trash talk someone for having an emotional response "to music", you know... that thing to make you 'feel'?

I'm starting to think you feel it's your duty to pull others down because they feel great listening to some incredible music. Just ditch it and let people enjoy this amazing album.

*Rant off*

Back to CA!

People get off on diminishing the enthusiasm of others, and when you call them on it - they cry a river about how important their opinion is - even though it's been presented ad-nauseum.

I've always thought it was creepy.

This is typical of messageboards, though - and the main reason I don't spend nearly as much time on them as I used to.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jun 8 2012, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (Middletown @ Jun 7 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 09:53 PM)
You lost me at saying Wish Them Well is great. That song is baaaaadddddd. It doesnt flow well, feels like a bunch of parts written months apart glued together, and even Neil himself hates it!

Otherwise a good in depth review. I dont personally think its better than anything prior to maybe Presto or RTB, aside from the debut, but its the best of what I consider modern Rush.

Overall for me too many of the songs have parts that dont seem to fit that great together keeping them from having that say perfectly written Limelight iconic sound. It sounds like the parts were jammed out at separate times then put together like a puzzle, unlike in the past when they say down to work on say Big Money, Geddy said songs like that were written with every part intended to be there. Not sure how much I like these just jammed out songs but there some good parts on it for sure.

Your comments are interesting about how the song parts don't fit together. Do you feel the same way about "Xanadu"? "The Camera Eye"? "By-Tor"? "Red Lenses"? "Twilight Zone"?

The flow in the Camera Eye and Xanadu feels much more natural than in any of the song structures found on CA. I love CA right now, but even I know that some parts here and there feel a little clumsy or don't transition quite right.

I know what you are saying...

I felt the same way after the first couple of listens.

I put on my headphones, and listened, and it began to make sense...this is the way these guys push the progressive envelope. They shake things up right in the middle of a song, like the mandola in Working Them Angels on S & A or the mandolin in Halo Effect, or the bluesy/jazzy middle eight in Clockwork Angels...

It will eventually feel smoother after a couple of more listens....

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 7 2012, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Jun 7 2012, 10:37 PM)
Laugh everytime somebody writes I  fists crying.gif  after hearing The Garden or The Wreckers. Really grow a pair RUSH isnt for  cat.gif

Nothing says "I'm a giant p*ssy " more then this post.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 8 2012, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (Aeolian @ Jun 8 2012, 12:34 AM)

I'm starting to think you feel it's your duty to pull others down because they feel great listening to some incredible music.  Just ditch it and let people enjoy this amazing album.

*Rant off*

Back to CA!

People get off on diminishing the enthusiasm of others, and when you call them on it - they cry a river about how important their opinion is - even though it's been presented ad-nauseum.

I've always thought it was creepy.

This is typical of messageboards, though - and the main reason I don't spend nearly as much time on them as I used to.

Typical trolling.......it's a part of discussion forum reality, unfortunately.

Laugh everytime somebody writes I fists crying.gif after hearing The Garden or The Wreckers. Really grow a pair RUSH isnt for cat.gif

This is something a 14 year old kid would say who thinks hes all cool and cocky. Maybe you are one of those teens. Grow up dude.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 8 2012, 06:03 AM)
Laugh everytime somebody writes I  fists crying.gif  after hearing The Garden or The Wreckers. Really grow a pair RUSH isnt for  cat.gif

This is something a 14 year old kid would say who thinks hes all cool and cocky. Maybe you are one of those teens. Grow up dude.

This

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 8 2012, 06:26 AM)
Great review! One thing, BU2B2 is actually after HF, not after The Wreckers wink.gif

Still, I love the points you make, and I pretty much agree wholeheartedly 1022.gif

Wow, I just checked the track listing I downloaded and see that BU2B2 and The Wreckers are both listed as track "08". I've been listening to them out of order?!!!! One more reason to officially purchase the tunes on Tuesday!

Anonymity breeds larger testes. If you check out these guys' post history you'll find most of it negative or contrary to the points of those they are engaged with. I'm quite the accomplished internet troll myself. But I confine my war cries to motorcycle websites and those who think their HD products possess some form of quality or desirability.

Why does the the lead in The Garden make me tear up? My first concert was Grace Under Pressure Tour at the Philadelphia Spectrum, 1984. Y&T opened up for them. Myself and nearly my entire high school class (Wildwood, NJ) were huge Rush fans. They are the soundtrack of my entire life thus far. I've slept out for tickets countless times (back when that actually worked). I've stood front row in Philly nearly every tour since 1984. Travelled to see them in numerous other cities. They are music to me. So, when I hear something from them that soul stirring, 28 years after my first show, and 30 years after I first discovered them, it's a tad moving. I'm invested.

QUOTE (Middletown @ Jun 8 2012, 09:06 AM)
Great review! One thing, BU2B2 is actually after HF, not after The Wreckers  wink.gif

Still, I love the points you make, and I pretty much agree wholeheartedly  1022.gif

Wow, I just checked the track listing I downloaded and see that BU2B2 and The Wreckers are both listed as track "08". I've been listening to them out of order?!!!! One more reason to officially purchase the tunes on Tuesday!

Anonymity breeds larger testes. If you check out these guys' post history you'll find most of it negative or contrary to the points of those they are engaged with. I'm quite the accomplished internet troll myself. But I confine my war cries to motorcycle websites and those who think their HD products possess some form of quality or desirability.

Why does the the lead in The Garden make me tear up? My first concert was Grace Under Pressure Tour at the Philadelphia Spectrum, 1984. Y&T opened up for them. Myself and nearly my entire high school class (Wildwood, NJ) were huge Rush fans. They are the soundtrack of my entire life thus far. I've slept out for tickets countless times (back when that actually worked). I've stood front row in Philly nearly every tour since 1984. Travelled to see them in numerous other cities. They are music to me. So, when I hear something from them that soul stirring, 28 years after my first show, and 30 years after I first discovered them, it's a tad moving. I'm invested.

I think I love you. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 8 2012, 06:03 AM)

Yes, that comment is uncalled for an immature. While, I don't hear the greatness in The Garden that so many others seem to here, it's still a good song. It doesn't choke me up or bring tears to my eyes, in fact no Rush song has ever done that to me, but if it does that for some people it really shows the songwriting power this band has.

As for the review in the first post, good job applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Middletown @ Jun 8 2012, 08:06 AM)
Great review! One thing, BU2B2 is actually after HF, not after The Wreckers  wink.gif

Still, I love the points you make, and I pretty much agree wholeheartedly  1022.gif

Hats off! You are an amazing fan! trink39.gif