The Voice

Gilbertk

At first I thought it was the Watchmaker, but after reading the lyrics.. could it be the Anarchist?

Is the story Hero vs Anarchist and the Watchmaker is simply a figure in the world that actually plays no part in the story?

I'm not 100% (or even 10%) clear on the story.. I can't wait for the book.

Edited by Gilbertk

My only problem is it seems Caravan through Carnies is one story of Hero vs Anarchist and then from Halo Effect onward it goes on a completely different tangent. So no, I don't think the Watchmaker has any impact on the story.

If you are refering to the voice at the end of two of the songs which asks " What do you lack?" that's the voice of the Peddlar!

i The Peddlar

ii The Peddlar

If not, I don't know what you are refering too.

confused13.gif

For a second, I thought this was related to the TV show.

I don't know about the deep voice in HF, but I think the "telephone voice" (as one reviewer called it) might be an effect that's being used when the song switches the point of view away from the main character.

i.e. the bluesy part in Clockwork Angels might be either the Watchmaker... or the angels? And in the Anarchist the "I lack their smiles and their diamonds" part is obviously the point of view of the Anarchist.

I could be totally off about that! I just think the plotline jumps around so much that it can't all be representing one person.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 7 2012, 12:14 PM)
I don't know about the deep voice in HF, but I think the "telephone voice" (as one reviewer called it) might be an effect that's being used when the song switches the point of view away from the main character.

That's a good theory, like how Ged switches from singing (hero) to wailing (Priests) in 2112.

Only this time it's as easy as using a megaphone (?) or turning on a mic effect.

Another way this album is somewhat like Tommy or Quadrophenia- different songs about different character with many voices and a vague plot. . . but I'm still baffled confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 7 2012, 11:41 AM)
If you are refering to the voice at the end of two of the songs which asks " What do you lack?" that's the voice of the Peddlar!

i The Peddlar
ii The Peddlar

If not, I don't know what you are refering too.

confused13.gif

"The days were dark

And the nights we bright..

Hey man...

I would never trade tomorrow for today

Yeahhhh....."

*ENTER SNARE SOLO*

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 7 2012, 12:51 PM)
Another way this album is somewhat like Tommy or Quadrophenia- different songs about different character with many voices and a vague plot. . . but I'm still baffled confused13.gif

Exactly. I'm glad they tried to make the album in a way that lets the individual songs breathe but.. a LITTLE context apart from the novel would have been nice.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait for the book to fully understand confused13.gif

Oh and thanks, now I've got 'The Real Me' stuck in my head!

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 7 2012, 07:39 PM)

Not the worst thing in the world wink.gif

The deep voice in HF is pretty obviously Fredrich Gruber.

I'm still not sure what the deal with the megaphone is. I think it's the Watchmaker during the title track and the Anarchist during The Anarchist. Like someone else said, it might be a device to switch perspective away from the hero.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 7 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 7 2012, 09:23 PM)

No, it's Alex. Freddie Gruber had already passed when they recorded Headlong Flight so he didn't make a cameo

No, I mean the character "Fredrich Gruber". He's mentioned in the HF song description. He's a tribute to Freddie.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 7 2012, 10:23 PM)

I'm still not sure what the deal with the megaphone is. I think it's the Watchmaker during the title track and the Anarchist during The Anarchist. Like someone else said, it might be a device to switch perspective away from the hero.

Do you think Fredrich Gruber is to this protagonist as Pangloss is to Candide?

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 7 2012, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 7 2012, 07:39 PM)

Not the worst thing in the world wink.gif

Hence the "thanks"!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 7 2012, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 7 2012, 09:23 PM)

No, it's Alex. Freddie Gruber had already passed when they recorded Headlong Flight so he didn't make a cameo

facepalm.gif

In the liner notes, a character named Fredrich Gruber is mentioned.

QUOTE ( Neil Peart @ CA)
THINKING BACK OVER MY LIFE, AND TELLING STORIES ABOUT MY "GREAT ADVENTURES" - they didn't always feel that grand at the time. But on balance, I wouldn't change anything. In the words of one of our great alchemists, Friedrich Gruber, "I wish I could do it all again."

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 8 2012, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 7 2012, 10:23 PM)

Do you think Fredrich Gruber is to this protagonist as Pangloss is to Candide?

You assume that I'm capable of reading books.

Gruber is a mentor to the hero, which makes sense considering that the real-life Freddie Gruber was something of a mentor to Neil.

There seem to be many parallels between Candide and CA. That's rush for ya', getting me all fired up about literature.

Edited by Dscrapre