Geddy's vocals compared to S&A

SchemingDemon

I think Geddy's vocals sound much better on CA compared to S&A. On Snakes, there are quite a few spots where it's very obvious his voice is cracking or just sounds sub-par (Good News First quickly comes to mind). On CA, nothing is very noticeable to me. Maybe it's just the way he's singing now or simply the way the album was mixed, I'm not sure, but I think he sounds very, very good.

What are your opinions?

2.gif

I don't know whether his voice is better or worse on either album, all I know is that on the new album, his voice fits perfectly with the music. I would never want any other singer to sin these tracks, or any other Geddy! It's just perfect. 653.gif

Close to the same. I don't know the new album well enough just yet. Different stylings anyhow. He did more of the folksy thing on the last one and is stretching out more here. By doing so he opens himself up to a few spotty moments, however.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 6 2012, 09:19 PM)
Geddy's voice is much weaker and his range has diminished. But, he sings to his ability and, in a lot of ways, it's a still a strength.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I think Geddy believed his range was higher with S&A than it actually was which led to some mishaps, but five years later, he's realized exactly what he can do with his voice, and has kept it constrained to his abilities.

I like what he did with this album which is sing low throughout most of the songs so that when he does sing high, it sounds a little better, and overall the key is lower in the highs so they actually arent very high, but sound high since everything else around them is lower. Smart move.

But when he sings with everything stripped away and no loud music to cover up the flaws, the current condition of his voice is exposed and sounds really horrible to me. Like the breakdown of Garden which I mentioned in another thread. It's the worst Ive ever heard his voice sound.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 07:48 PM)
I like what he did with this album which is sing low throughout most of the songs so that when he does sing high, it sounds a little better, and overall the key is lower in the highs so they actually arent very high, but sound high since everything else around them is lower. Smart move.

But when he sings with everything stripped away and no loud music to cover up the flaws, the current condition of his voice is exposed and sounds really horrible to me. Like the breakdown of Garden which I mentioned in another thread. It's the worst Ive ever heard his voice sound.

Yeah.... Ged's voice was the reason I thought The Garden was one of the worst tracks on the album on first listen. His voice drives the song and generally features too prominently.... it sounds kind of strained and is difficult to listen to at times. But the melody and arrangement are strong enough that it's grown on me a lot since then.

I agree with your other point too.... he seems to have found a comfortable place range-wise to sing for most the album. The quality of his voice was better on S&A, but what he chooses to do with it is better here on CA.

Edited by CrossedSignals

Weird, i personally think the garden is a career vocal highlight for Ged. His singing with a lot of conviction and passion there.On the other hand, Snakes doesnt have any really memorable vocal performance IMO. I like what he did in Spindrift but that's pretty much it for me.

Overall, i think he knows he has lost his power and sharpness and now has a vulnerable voice and he actually uses that to his advantage. Very moving album vocally in my opinion. There's only a line here and there i dont like in Caravan, Carnies, and Wish them well and again is just a line or a word every thing else sounds pretty stellar to me. Honestly i prefer his vocal delivery in CA over his rather bland performances in albums like RTB and T4E even if he is singing more technically sound on those. Vocals just have more bite and swagger to them in CA than in any other album in quite some time.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Jun 6 2012, 11:52 PM)
Weird, i personally think the garden is a career vocal highlight for Ged. His singing with a lot of conviction and passion there.On the other hand, Snakes doesnt have any really memorable  vocal performance IMO. I like what he did in Spindrift but that's pretty much it for me.

Overall, i think he knows he has lost his power and sharpness and now has a vulnerable voice and he actually uses that to his advantage. Very moving album vocally in my opinion. There's only a line here and there i dont like in Caravan, Carnies, and Wish them well and again is just a line or a word every thing else sounds pretty stellar to me. Honestly i prefer his vocal delivery in CA over his rather bland performances in albums like RTB and T4E even if he is singing more technically sound on those. Vocals just have more bite and swagger to them in CA than in any other album in quite some time.

I think his intentions are good and the melodies themselves are fine, but its just the quality of his voice. It sounds just completely shot there.

More than anything its that vibrato. It's so bad right now that we heard in the behind the scenes vid Nick was trying to get him to do less of it. And when Ged sings low he insists on doing it and it just makes things worse.

I dont personally think he's been a GREAT singer since Power Windows. It started to decline with HYF. Those opening notes of Mission are painful. There was nothing like that on PoW, so even stuff like T4E I just think he sounds very average, not exceptional.

Edited by trenken

About the same, maybe a bit weaker, but still good ole Ged.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 6 2012, 10:42 PM)
I like that there is little to no yodeling and less geddy choirs biggrin.gif .

No yodeling? sad.gif

Next you gonna tell me they took out the Polka Solo like they've been hinting at for the past couple of years. chickendance.gif

I think Nick has taken them to a new horizon

Pushing them to the top

Geddy sounds so fierce on this new songs!

And I couldnt believe how good he sang last year at Vegas Show

Awesome, he really put his heart on it.

CA seems to be maybe the best album since 2112

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:27 PM)
I honestly like his vocals on both albums.

Then again, I've never really had an issue with his vocals. He still sounds good to me.

In fact, I'd argue that his voice sounds better on these two records than on VT. Just my opinion though.

And honestly, I just like him BETTER generally speaking the past 25 years over say the first 5 or so years. His voice was young and spry but I'd rather listen to him belt out The Garden than endure his high pitch wail.

I realized this morning on the way to work that its even worse in BU2B2. Whats funny about that though is in the 2nd part of it they add effects to his voice, and it sounds better. Should have done that in the breakdown effect of the Garden.

Doesnt need to be crazy effects like Jacobs Ladder, but something to make him sound better instead of just him and a mic.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 7 2012, 01:10 PM)
I realized this morning on the way to work that its even worse in BU2B2. Whats funny about that though is in the 2nd part of it they add effects to his voice, and it sounds better. Should have done that in the breakdown effect of the Garden.

Doesnt need to be crazy effects like Jacobs Ladder, but something to make him sound better instead of just him and a mic.

But what about his "vibrato" ?

Please, trenken, tell us more about his "vibrato"

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 7 2012, 02:23 PM)

rofl3.gif

Geddy uses a vibrator?

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 7 2012, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 7 2012, 02:23 PM)

rofl3.gif

Geddy uses a vibrator?

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

rofl3.gif

I'm laughing so hard I'm choking on my vomit.