The Garden

UltimoGuitarist

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 5 2012, 08:33 PM)
Really not into it too much. I think the vocals are just killing it for me and sucking me right out of the mood of the song. Geddy sounds baaaddddddd on this one imo.

I like this guy.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 5 2012, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 5 2012, 08:33 PM)
Really not into it too much. I think the vocals are just killing it for me and sucking me right out of the mood of the song. Geddy sounds baaaddddddd on this one imo.

I like this guy.

no.gif

I love it! The melody, Ged's vocals, the strings, it all comes together for me. I've always been a huge fan of Tears and I like it when they change it up with songs like these.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jun 5 2012, 10:38 PM)
This song just reminds me of Available Light..

I've read a few posts that have said that but i'm sorry, I do not get the same feeling from this song that I do from Available Light. The Garden is a good song, that's it, just good but Available Light is great and The Garden isn't close to being in the same league. Both musically and lyrically Available Light blows The Garden away.

Well I'm younger than the 44 crowd and I get this song and agree 100% that it is one of their finest achievements, especially in terms of emotionally-centered songs. It reminds me quite a bit of Bravado in terms of sophisticated power achieved in a way that seems effortless and simple. And sometimes a great song like this can come easy if you have the ear and talent to channel it.

But for sure there is a type of listener that does not gravitate to this type of material, dating back to Tears. For me it's refreshing. I'm that other type that thinks La Villa Strangiato is a tiresome mess containing the phenomenal, sweet 2 minutes going into Alex's emotive lead. If focused, that could have been a dream of a developed song. I know, sacrilege to say! Or Malignant Narcissism--an insane 2-minute jam, tossed out like a snack when it could have been the main course. RUSH sound great and play wonderfully. But there has always been the battle in song structure between piling on and piecing together as opposed to stripping away and sharpening the arrow. I'll choose a song like The Garden every time.

Ok, I'm 43. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 5 2012, 08:47 PM)
I like the song and it's a nice way to close out the album. But it's not my favorite of the new material. I put the first five songs, Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers and Headlong Flight all above it. It's a good song for sure but one of their best ever? One of the top ten songs they've ever recorded? Really people? Not even close.

Agree 100%. Correct sir.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 5 2012, 07:47 PM)
I like the song and it's a nice way to close out the album. But it's not my favorite of the new material. I put the first five songs, Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers and Headlong Flight all above it. It's a good song for sure but one of their best ever? One of the top ten songs they've ever recorded? Really people? Not even close.

For me it's a slam dunk. But it's all about what you get out of music. Your list is almost exclusively the "rockers" of the album. There's nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying people have different priorities.

I actually enjoy Halo Effect more.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 5 2012, 07:43 PM)
A good example is that guy Jacob Moon who covered Subdivisions. That guy has a really great voice, and if he sang this I know I would love it.

Maybe we can get Jacob to sing "Hurt" instead of Johnny Cash, or sing "You Are So Beautiful" instead of Joe Cocker...

I am sure that would make them much better as well!

tongue.gif