Tai Shan

rugen

Geddy said in a interview that one of Alex and him least favorite song is Tai Shan. Not very kind for the one who wrote that song : Neil.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geddy acknowledged that lyrically, the song was very personal for Neil. He doesn't think that musically, he and Alex contributed what the lyrics deserved. Geddy said he finds the song "boring" and by that I have to think he's still talking "musically". Neil's lyrics are very good.

I have to agree with Geddy's assessment. "Tai Shan" is my own second least-listened to song, right before "Rivendell", and just after "The Necromancer".

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 07:49 PM)
i like tai shan. the music matches the lyrics perfectly. geddy's wrong.

I'm so glad you can make the decision on who's right and wrong. Are you the copyright holder?

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 4 2012, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 07:49 PM)
i like tai shan.  the music matches the lyrics perfectly.  geddy's wrong.

I'm so glad you can make the decision on who's right and wrong. Are you the copyright holder?

maybe. sarcasm.gif

To each their own. I happen to like Tai Shan. But I can definitely see how folks would not. Its a very different style given the musical influence is sort of non traditional (unless one is into classical Chinese music). Although I am of European background I enjoy traditional Chinese & Japanese music so it clicks with me.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 4 2012, 05:45 PM)
To each their own.  I happen to like Tai Shan.  But I can definitely see how folks would not.  Its a very different style given the musical influence is sort of non traditional (unless one is into classical Chinese music).  Although I am of European background I enjoy traditional Chinese & Japanese music so it clicks with me.

Yeah,

I enjoy it also. Just have to be in the mood for it.

I'd like to think that Rush overall still likes Hold Your Fire though since it's my favorite album.

Seems like I remember Neil saying it's one of his faves from a fan's point of view.

I like it and there's should be more of that kind of song on Rush album, instead of having only fast pace hard rock songs. I like the mood and atmosphere.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Jun 5 2012, 10:45 AM)
To each their own. I happen to like Tai Shan. But I can definitely see how folks would not. Its a very different style given the musical influence is sort of non traditional (unless one is into classical Chinese music). Although I am of European background I enjoy traditional Chinese & Japanese music so it clicks with me.

I don't know man...Tai Shan sounds nothing like Japanese enka. Tai Shan is passable while Japanese enka sounds like some tortured obachan moaning about a bargain sale.

I do like this song, but, there is no longer any Rush song that I don't like. There use to be a few, but time has smoothed that over. Tai Shan wasn't one of those. I certainly do understand Geddy's point of view. Rush has a lot of songs. The creators of those songs aren't going to like them all as time goes by. As an artist, you will have certain regrets.

Never mind Tai Shan..what about the lack of love for the Show of Hands era hairstyles tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 5 2012, 05:18 AM)
Never mind Tai Shan..what about the lack of love for the Show of Hands era hairstyles tongue.gif  laugh.gif

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/geddy-lee-guitar-world-magazine-1988-bb72.jpg

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 09:40 PM)
I've always said that I'm really glad that China sang to Neil. I just wish he had kept that to himself. tongue.gif

http://www.rocklopedia.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/chinakantner_med.jpg

I didn't realize she COULD sing.

Now her mother on the other hand..... ohmy.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 4 2012, 03:24 PM)
Geddy said in a interview that one of Alex and him least favorite song is Tai Shan. Not very kind for the one who wrote that song : Neil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZY_loemUw

"Tai Shan" is up on the list of my least favorite Rush songs, quite like "Rivendell" or "Dog Years." But there is a time and place for everything and I listened to "Tai Shan" yesterday and didn't gag once! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 5 2012, 05:48 AM)

"Tai Shan" is up on the list of my least favorite Rush songs, quite like "Rivendell" or "Dog Years." But there is a time and place for everything and I listened to "Tai Shan" yesterday and didn't gag once! tongue.gif

Did you gag twice? confused13.gif

A song this Bad should not have it's own thread.

I love Tai Shan and always have done, along with the rest of HYF. So I respectfully disagree with Alex and Geddy on this one. What a fantastic interview though - Geddy just comes across as one of the coolest dudes on the planet!

GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 5 2012, 05:48 AM)

Did you gag twice? confused13.gif

laugh.gif

Surprisingly no! I kept my stomach contents firmly in my gut.

Miracles DO happen!

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jun 5 2012, 09:37 AM)
I love Tai Shan and always have done, along with the rest of HYF. So I respectfully disagree with Alex and Geddy on this one. What a fantastic interview though - Geddy just comes across as one of the coolest dudes on the planet!
GeddyFinal.gif

Even if that guy's accent was a wee bit hard to understand. . . doh.gif