Clockwork Angels

Tombstone Mountain

The last two efforts S&A and Clockwork Angels have a refined yet raw sound...Is this all due the production team of Nick and Rich? If so, thank you Nick...you certainly know what the hell you're doing! How was he able to get what other producer's seem to fail at...which is a fantastic sound and getting the band to attack their instruments???

bd.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 30 2012, 02:14 PM)
The last two efforts S&A and Clockwork Angels have a refined yet raw sound...Is this all due the production team of Nick and Rich? If so, thank you Nick...you certainly know what the hell you're doing! How was he able to get what other producer's seem to fail at...which is a fantastic sound and getting the band to attack their instruments???

bd.gif

Rush didn't have other producers that failed at it. Actually I think the only time it ever really failed was Vapor Trails, and that was because they tried to produce much of it themselves.

They didn't have a guy in the studio saying, "NO Geddy, STOP layering your vocals!" They took total control of VT and it was a mistake. They are not producers and it helps to have someone in there for quality control.

That's what all producers do so it's not Nick per say, but just the fact that Rush let him be a real producer. Any producer with any skill can get Rush to sound good, but Rush has to be willing to listen to them and take their advice. If they don't, we end up with VT that sounds worse than some garage band recordings Ive heard.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 30 2012, 02:17 PM)

bd.gif

Rush didn't have other producers that failed at it. Actually I think the only time it ever really failed was Vapor Trails, and that was because they tried to produce much of it themselves.

They didn't have a guy in the studio saying, "NO Geddy, STOP layering your vocals!" They took total control of VT and it was a mistake. They are not producers and it helps to have someone in there for quality control.

That's what all producers do so it's not Nick per say, but just the fact that Rush let him be a real producer. Any producer with any skill can get Rush to sound good, but Rush has to be willing to listen to them and take their advice. If they don't, we end up with VT that sounds worse than some garage band recordings Ive heard.

I gotta say that T4E sounds weak to me. the songs are OK but nothing that sticks with me. Nick has had a HUGE impact on Neil, more so than any producer i can recall. I wonder why Nick was able to work with neil in ways other producers couldn't???

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 30 2012, 02:27 PM)

bd.gif

I gotta say that T4E sounds weak to me. the songs are OK but nothing that sticks with me. Nick has had a HUGE impact on Neil, more so than any producer i can recall. I wonder why Nick was able to work with neil in ways other producers couldn't???

Because Nick is also a HUGE Rush fan! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 30 2012, 03:57 PM)
getting the band to attack their instruments???

i don't hear them attacking their instruments on caravan and bu2b and it sounds very undistinguished and boring. than there was the whole s & a debacle....

You don't hear them attacking their instruments on those two songs? Are you waiting for them to literally smash the instruments into the wall?

I thought the playing was powerful and could hear a lot of effort being put into their performance.

i don't hear them attacking their instruments on caravan and bu2b and it sounds very undistinguished and boring. than there was the whole s & a debacle....

Dude what are your smoking?

cool10.gif

It's altering your perception!

yes.gif

Far Cry, Caravan, BU2B and now Headlong Flight has brought back the 2.gif that everyone loves. That high energy, complex instrumentation, we all love to hear from these guys!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 30 2012, 04:34 PM)

cool10.gif

yes.gif

Far Cry, Caravan, BU2B and now Headlong Flight has brought back the 2.gif that everyone loves. That high energy, complex instrumentation, we all love to hear from these guys!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I agree. Too bad the rest of SnA couldn't have been more like Far Cry. I think they will be ALL the way back on this record.

cool10.gif

yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

headlong flight yes and the rest no.

Speaking of Boouzhie or howeverTF you spell it...

I totally forgot to mention this earlier, but I noticed the CLockwork Angels ASIN on Amazon the other day... Spooky....

Audio CD (June 12, 2012)

Original Release Date: 2012

Number of Discs: 1

Label: Roadrunner Records

ASIN: B007I2BZIE

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 30 2012, 05:12 PM)
Speaking of Boouzhie or howeverTF you spell it...

I totally forgot to mention this earlier, but I noticed the CLockwork Angels ASIN on Amazon the other day... Spooky....

Audio CD (June 12, 2012)
Original Release Date: 2012
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Roadrunner Records
ASIN: B007I2BZIE

cool10.gif

Haha that's awesome

bd.gif

T4E is a decent quality recording, just nothing special about it. The dynamics are a little weak.

As far as Neil, I'm really not hearing anything very special with him on the new songs. I know a lot about drumming and I know what he's doing now is not nearly as difficult as some of what he was doing in the past.

I think what Nick is getting Neil to do is free flow more, more improvisational style drumming rather than compositional, if you know what I mean by that. But to me that isn't usually apparent to the listener. I'm sure Neil is very excited about it, but us as the listener can't usually notice the difference. When I listen to HF, I can't hear a guy that's free flowing that much, I just hear him playing the parts we're meant to hear.

cool10.gif

yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 30 2012, 07:20 PM)

bd.gif

T4E is a decent quality recording, just nothing special about it. The dynamics are a little weak.

As far as Neil, I'm really not hearing anything very special with him on the new songs. I know a lot about drumming and I know what he's doing now is not nearly as difficult as some of what he was doing in the past.

I think what Nick is getting Neil to do is free flow more, more improvisational style drumming rather than compositional, if you know what I mean by that. But to me that isn't usually apparent to the listener. I'm sure Neil is very excited about it, but us as the listener can't usually notice the difference. When I listen to HF, I can't hear a guy that's free flowing that much, I just hear him playing the parts we're meant to hear.

I don't think it really matters if what Neil is doing is difficult or not. As long as it kicks ass, pleases him, and serves the purpose of the song, then that is great. Neil is a lot more aggressive on the new tracks and the overall consensus around the internet is that people are excited about Neil's drumming. Those who have covered Neil on youtube for Headlong Flight have said the drumming is very fun.

Difficult playing doesn't always equal a good song.

(And in my opinion, I do think what he does at points is pretty difficult, although he surely has done more difficult stuff in the past. Regardless, the drumming is great.)

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 30 2012, 05:09 PM)

cool10.gif

yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I agree. Too bad the rest of SnA couldn't have been more like Far Cry. I think they will be ALL the way back on this record.

Agreed!

Far Cry was actually written in the studio while recording S&A and under supervision of Nick. So I would like to think that he have had some influence on that song.

Regarding Caravan and BU2B, it is their most energetic songs in many albums. Though they are mid tempo they rock like hell and are very heavy.

HF continues the energeticness... and adds tempo to it as well. HF is their fastest rocker since when....? Dog Years?

I love Dog Years by he way. You may not like the lyrics but I find the song seriously rocking.

bd.gif

Isn't that a new space for neil in terms of recording? And after all, isn't recording material in a new or fresh way a big thing for the band? In terms of being his most difficult, well, to me songwriting is about feel. it's nice to have those chops and play all those notes, but ultimately aren't songs about feel?

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

bd.gif

Do you know much about the brand of snare he uses for HF? Has a great sound! Do you know much about it?

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 30 2012, 04:27 PM)

You don't hear them attacking their instruments on those two songs? Are you waiting for them to literally smash the instruments into the wall?

I thought the playing was powerful and could hear a lot of effort being put into their performance.

what can i say dude, i don't like the way caravan and bu2b sounds. it's a shame because they're going to be in the setlist again. sad.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

we could never have imagined what we are going to hear when we recieve this record. they played a major freaking part in it. i hope they continue their working relationship with this crew!!!