Clockwork Angels---Geddy's voice

Tombstone Mountain

Over the years we've all witnessed how Geddy's singing has matured. At this stage of the game it appears that he is going back to really wailing and letting it rip (see HF)...is this the Geddy we all be waiting for? bacon.gif

Nah, I still prefer more the more articulated vocal style of yesteryear. I don't think he can suddenly flip the switch and make that happen at this point. Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 30 2012, 12:06 PM)
Over the years we've all witnessed how Geddy's singing has matured. At this stage of the game it appears that he is going back to really wailing and letting it rip (see HF)...is this the Geddy we all be waiting for? bacon.gif

Reason why I bring it up is because the more I listen to the three songs, I find that his voice has a powerful aura to it...reminscent of pre-80's rush. First of all its amazing that he's almost 60 and still kickin it, but the power of his voice on the new releases, especially HF, take me back to the 70's...which isn't a bad thing!

common001.gif

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ May 30 2012, 12:18 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks his age has matured his voice and it's better than ever?

That's what I'm saying...Nick really encourged him to throw caution to the wind and wail...been a looooong time since we've had that kind of effort.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 30 2012, 12:22 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks his age has matured his voice and it's better than ever?

That's what I'm saying...Nick really encourged him to throw caution to the wind and wail...been a looooong time since we've had that kind of effort.

Just prepare though that rest entire album might not have that type of vocal delivery, so don't get disappointed. There are definitely going to be softer and more melodic moments on the album, so they'll probably be a diversity in his delivery. smile.gif

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 30 2012, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 30 2012, 12:22 PM)

Just prepare though that rest entire album might not have that type of vocal delivery, so don't get disappointed. There are definitely going to be softer and more melodic moments on the album, so they'll probably be a diversity in his delivery. smile.gif

Yeah, that won't be a disappointment in my book. According to the reviews that have come out there are only a few tracks where Rush takes "the foot off the gas" so to speak. To me his voice has never really sounded better than at this point. we are in for a real treat!!!!

trink38.gif yes.gif cheer.gif bacon.gif

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ May 30 2012, 06:18 PM)

I like his voice much better now than it was in the early days.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 30 2012, 12:06 PM)

Agreed, hope he can bring the old stuff live.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 30 2012, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ May 30 2012, 06:18 PM)

I like his voice much better now than it was in the early days.

I'd say the edge is off and now it"s Smoooooovvvvvvvveeeeee!!!!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I can't think of many rock vocalists of his generation who can sing as well as he still does. What he may lack in precision he makes up for in sheer passion.

Let's be honest, these guys are so good we have gotten spoiled. At 58 years old, with the style of singing he is known for and the amount of touring they do, there is no reason why Geddy Lee should not sound utterly horrible at this point - especially in a live situation, so I'm perfectly willing to accept a crack here and there and less the razor sharp "enunciation" as a very small price to pay for what he can still deliver.

On the tracks we have heard so far, he is singing with a youthful exuberance that fits well within his range. By the time they go on tour he will have rested his voice for a year.

Its all good - rock on Ged smile.gif

Edited by eshine

QUOTE (eshine @ May 30 2012, 01:20 PM)
I can't think of many rock vocalists of his generation who can sing as well as he still does. What he may lack in precision he makes up for in sheer passion.

Let's be honest, these guys are so good we have gotten spoiled. At 58 years old, with the style of singing he is known for and the amount of touring they do, there is no reason why Geddy Lee should not sound utterly horrible at this point - especially in a live situation, so I'm perfectly willing to accept a crack here and there and less the razor sharp "enunciation" as a very small rice to pay for what he can still deliver.

On the tracks we have heard so far, he is singing with a youthful exuberance that fits well within his range. By the time they go on tour he will have rested his voice for a year.

Its all good - rock on Ged smile.gif

Agreed...and he is creating interesting bass lines once again!!! How much of an impact do you think Nick has had on RUSH to take this path and evolve in this way? It seems that the production value and power of RUSH has been captured in a way not familiar to us in recent memory...certainly nothing as heavy..meaning...this f***ing heavy. When I hear Neil play on HF i hear a thrash element that blows me away..what do you think?

icon_alienjig.gif

The thing I'm noticing him doing on S&A and now these 3 new songs is he is singing lower much of the time, so that when it sounds like he's hitting high notes, they actually aren't that high so he doesn't have to strain as much, but they sound high since everything else around them is lower. But if you're a singer much younger than him and try to sing them you realize the highs aren't that high at all.

I've said before I think it's a smart move for him. His vocals are just not nearly as good as they used to be, his vibrato isnt even close to as tight as it was on albums like GUP so don't try to do them as often, and he isn't now, and his highs are not silky smooth like they were in the old days, so don't try to hit them and he doesn't even come close to hitting highs like them on any of these 3 songs.

He's finally trying to sing within his comfortable range. I'm sure live he will still struggle to hit even these highs, I heard it when they played the 2 new songs on the last tour, but at least he won't sound like he's dying on the album.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 30 2012, 01:28 PM)
The thing I'm noticing him doing on S&A and now these 3 new songs is he is singing lower much of the time, so that when it sounds like he's hitting high notes, they actually aren't that high so he doesn't have to strain as much, but they sound high since everything else around them is lower. But if you're a singer much younger than him and try to sing them you realize the highs aren't that high at all.

I've said before I think it's a smart move for him. His vocals are just not nearly as good as they used to be, his vibrato isnt even close to as tight as it was on albums like GUP so don't try to do them as often, and he isn't now, and his highs are not silky smooth like they were in the old days, so don't try to hit them and he doesn't even come close to hitting highs like them on any of these 3 songs.

He's finally trying to sing within his comfortable range. I'm sure live he will still struggle to hit even these highs, I heard it when they played the 2 new songs on the last tour, but at least he won't sound like he's dying on the album.

I was quite pleased with his vocals on Rush material dating from 1988 to present on the last tour...especially Caravan and BU2B.

Guys, we're talking about Geddy Lee here! Sure his voice may be given out to sing the high-pitched vocal parts (like in "Freewill"), but he sure as hell knows how to make his voice work with certain classics today (like the "Limelight" chorus). His voice came out fantastic in Headlong Flight, if you ask me.

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ May 30 2012, 01:48 PM)
Guys, we're talking about Geddy Lee here! Sure his voice may be given out to sing the high-pitched vocal parts (like in "Freewill"), but he sure as hell knows how to make his voice work with certain classics today (like the "Limelight" chorus). His voice came out fantastic in Headlong Flight, if you ask me.

You nailed it...his passion and power really shine through on that track. If the three songs are indicative of what is to come, which supposedly they are, it could be his most accessible vocal effort for the non rush fan.

Well, unlike most people...I've never had an issue with his vocals.

People keep complaining about his vocals nowadays...yeah, he's almost 60 now. He's not going to sing like he's 20. That's just a fact of life.

I love the way he sings now...his vocals were fantastic on S&A and are equally fantastic on the first three singles of CA as well IMO.

I do agree that he should keep focusing on singing at a lower register. But, I will say...his vocals on HF (especially the "I wish that I could live it all aggggaaaaaaaainn") give me chills. Love it. 1022.gif

Geddy is sounding pretty good for a rock singer of his age. When I listened to HF the first time, and heard that long note....(I wish that I could live it all agaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiinnn!!) it took me right back to the last note of "Working Man" on the TM tour. (Well they call me the Working Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn!) I could not help but think about what the band's original plan was for the recording of the new album. They wanted to get in "touring shape" and then go in to the studio and record the album. Well, there was a break in there after the tour. But, it sounds like it still worked out like they had originally wanted to some degree. They wanted to stretch out with their instruments, Geddy's voice included. 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ May 30 2012, 01:48 PM)

He struggles to sing stuff like Limelight. You can just hear his voice is really beat down after all these years of abusing it, and smoking for many years sure didn't help either.

He's doing what he can, but his voice is clearly so tired, and it sounds like that right from the start of tours. He barely sounds like the same guy from 30 years ago. It's very odd to me how he doesn't even sound like the same singer, his actual voice itself has really changed due to deterioration.

A lot of guys with very powerful voices like for example Sammy Hagar still sounds like the same guy he did when he was 25, and is still able to nail extreme highs like Geddy did when he was a kid. Sammy isn't a smoker but is a big time tequila drinker, although drinking doesn't have as much of a negative effect on your vocals.

• Like 1

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 30 2012, 02:02 PM)
Well, unlike most people...I've never had an issue with his vocals.

People keep complaining about his vocals nowadays...yeah, he's almost 60 now. He's not going to sing like he's 20. That's just a fact of life.

I love the way he sings now...his vocals were fantastic on S&A and are equally fantastic on the first three singles of CA as well IMO.

I do agree that he should keep focusing on singing at a lower register. But, I will say...his vocals on HF (especially the "I wish that I could live it all aggggaaaaaaaainn") give me chills. Love it. 1022.gif

Geddy Lee: Still getting it done at age 58. Chills indeed!! yes.gif