Pearts playing!!!!

richellis1974

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 25 2012, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 23 2012, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (richellis1974 @ May 23 2012, 03:58 PM)
@ReRushed.....ha ha ha!!!! there is more to a band than just the drummer BUT yeah...I saw them on the Time Machine tour and was there for the MUSIC, not just the Drummer, BUT as a Drummer myself I obviously get drawn to that. Peart himself underwent "ground-up" re-learning under Freddie Gruber, who took him away from the grandstanding double-bass thing and took him back to the hi-hat on beats 2 and 4 in the bar to "feel" the time(Pearts own words)...this to me has taken him down a simpler and less "showy" approach which to me is NOT as exciting as the psuedo jazz-rock type finesse shown on earlier albums.... THAT IS ALL I AM TRYING TO SAY........

Alright dude...you have your opinion....it stands.....most skilled and experienced drummers I know however dont agree with you.

I understand Saying something negative about a rush member is a bad way to make a first post, bu also, most skilled and experienced drummers actually would agree that Neil hasn't reached the peak he did with Hemi. I love rush and Neil, but seriously, Neil is not all that great man. He's ridiculously good, yeah, but there are tons others how are, from a technical standpoint, more talented.

Well yeah most people who know anything about drummers knows there are guys that can spin circles around Neil technically. That guy Thomas Pridgen is far more talented that Neil ever was on the kit, BUT.... the thing that to me makes Neil better than almost every rock drummer ever is the total package.

Aside from being a strong drummer, he is also a great lyricist. That is VERY rare. So sure, Neil is not quite as good as he once was, and there are many drummers doing things far more difficult than Neil ever did, but drumming is just half of what he brings to the band he's in, which to me makes him more valuable than someone who is better than him on the kit.

Look at this guy. His stick work is much faster and more precise than Neil's on his best days when he was younger. He was never able to play like Pridgen. He's really the big talk of the drumming world right now because his skills are just other worldly and only matched by very few drummers out there. The stuff he's doing at 2:30 on is just f***ing insanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yH6HPhidM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ May 25 2012, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2012, 05:01 PM)
@ReRushed.....ha ha ha!!!! there is more to a band than just the drummer BUT yeah...I saw them on the Time Machine tour and was there for the MUSIC, not just the Drummer, BUT as a Drummer myself I obviously get drawn to that. Peart himself underwent "ground-up" re-learning under Freddie Gruber, who took him away from the grandstanding double-bass thing and took him back to the hi-hat on beats 2 and 4 in the bar to "feel" the time(Pearts own words)...this to me has taken him down a simpler and less "showy" approach which to me is NOT as exciting as the psuedo jazz-rock type finesse shown on earlier albums.... THAT IS ALL I AM TRYING TO SAY........

Alright dude...you have your opinion....it stands.....most skilled and experienced drummers I know however dont agree with you.

I understand Saying something negative about a rush member is a bad way to make a first post, bu also, most skilled and experienced drummers actually would agree that Neil hasn't reached the peak he did with Hemi. I love rush and Neil, but seriously, Neil is not all that great man. He's ridiculously good, yeah, but there are tons others how are, from a technical standpoint, more talented.

Well yeah most people who know anything about drummers knows there are guys that can spin circles around Neil technically. That guy Thomas Pridgen is far more talented that Neil ever was on the kit, BUT.... the thing that to me makes Neil better than almost every rock drummer ever is the total package.

Aside from being a strong drummer, he is also a great lyricist. That is VERY rare. So sure, Neil is not quite as good as he once was, and there are many drummers doing things far more difficult than Neil ever did, but drumming is just half of what he brings to the band he's in, which to me makes him more valuable than someone who is better than him on the kit.

Look at this guy. His stick work is much faster and more precise than Neil's on his best days when he was younger. He was never able to play like Pridgen. He's really the big talk of the drumming world right now because his skills are just other worldly and only matched by very few drummers out there. The stuff he's doing at 2:30 on is just f***ing insanity.

i'm not defending either party but pridgin's playing in that video sounds horrible to me, maybe because if you play a zillion notes like on a guitar at light speed, it sounds like sheet. tongue.gif

Maybe there are more technical advanced drummers in the world, but no other drummer can move me like Neil Peart.

The excitement, energy, emotion and drama in Neil's drumming in songs like Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, The Camera Eye, Marathon, One Little Victory, Working Them Angels and Headlong Flight makes him the greatest drummer in my book.

Also I don't think Neil's peak was Hemispheres. His best drumming came after that. His drumming on Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions is astonishing. And he's still awesome.

Yngwie Malmsteen is a technically superior guitarist than Eddie Van Halen and Jeff Beck... So he must be better and those guys really aren't that good? ..

Like someone said, it's the total package and not just a speed/ chops competition.. I for one find those guys FUN to watch , the speed guys, but it just seems like they are playing their rudiments at hyper speed with no musical merit.. But that's just me..

How both guys like Bonham and moon? Can we pick apart their lack of progress in their playing as well?

Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 25 2012, 07:23 PM)
How both guys like Bonham and moon? Can we pick apart their lack of progress in their playing as well?

I may be wrong, but I strongly suspect that I know what's been holding them back all these years. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 25 2012, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 25 2012, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2012, 05:01 PM)

i'm not defending either party but pridgin's playing in that video sounds horrible to me, maybe because if you play a zillion notes like on a guitar at light speed, it sounds like sheet. tongue.gif

He isn't trying to play a nice beat or anything thats easy to digest. It was at a modern drummer event where the sole purpose is to show off what you can technically do, and what he is doing there is extremely controlled and very difficult to do. That's the point, there are drummers out there technically much better than Neil ever was.

As I said if I had to choose a drummer for my band, I would take Neil due to being able to provide lyrics as well. But if Im just looking for a guy who is just a beast of a drummer, Im taking Pridgen over Neil anyday. And what he's doing there is far more difficult than shredding on a guitar.

What he's doing there is so rare that he was the youngest person ever sponsored at just 14 I think. And now he's far better than he was then and is basically the main guy being talked about in the drumming world. He's in all the magazines and people pay some serious money to go to his clinics. He's a very rare talent.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 25 2012, 07:23 PM)
Yngwie Malmsteen is a technically superior guitarist than Eddie Van Halen and Jeff Beck... So he must be better and those guys really aren't that good? ..

Like someone said, it's the total package and not just a speed/ chops competition.. I for one find those guys FUN to watch , the speed guys, but it just seems like they are playing their rudiments at hyper speed with no musical merit.. But that's just me..

It really just depends. The original poster was just talking about Neil's technical ability, so although I agree the total package is more important than just having a guy that can play really difficult stuff, that's not really what this topic was about I dont think.

Its just about Neil's playing now which I think is a fair discussion. He really is not as good as he was. He makes a lot more mistakes now, and his fill work in particular is not nearly as creative as it was. He does a lot of standard issue fills now, where in the past he used to do some really wacky shit that doesn't seem like it would fit and almost doesnt, but just barely works and was super cool.

He doesnt do that anymore. On top of it he's been making a lot of mistakes live lately. You can see them on every live video they release now, where in the past he was just spot on like a robot all the time. But he probably doesnt play as much as he used to, with the baby and being old now, so he just simply isnt as good anymore. You play less, you wont be as good. Simple as that.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ May 23 2012, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (richellis1974 @ May 23 2012, 03:09 PM)
Hi guys/girls!!! LONGTIME rush fan!!! NEWBIE to forum!!! is it me or did Pearts playing PEAK on Hemispheres???? and seemingly NEVER quite hit those heights on ANY album since??? Also has anyone else seen him sitting in with Buddy Richs band in 1991??? Truly abysmal!!!!!! I AM A HUGE FAN OF THE MAN but do wonder what has gone on........

Get back in your closet and put the gag ball back in your mouth...master will be home soon!

banghead.gif

You just bring out the gimp in him.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 26 2012, 02:52 AM)
Peart? Now let me see...he's the drummer right???

unsure.gif huh.gif ph34r.gif

No, he is the real estate developer. yes.gif

>Someone new presents their opinion which is as equally valid as anyone elses

>Their opinion is different from the norm.

>"HEYYYY!! THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT OUR BLOATED AND UNJUST FANBOY OPINIONS!! BLABLAHBLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUU! TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL...

Are you people insecure in what you like, paranoid about being trolled or just stupid in general?

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ May 26 2012, 12:06 PM)

In general, this argument is simply not true.

As for the tone of this thread, I think a lot of us don't appreciate a new poster stirring things up with a topic that's been done to death on this board.

Introduce yourself, participate, feel at home, debate and argue. Not the other way around.

>"HEYYYY!! THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT OUR BLOATED AND UNJUST FANBOY OPINIONS!! BLABLAHBLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUU! TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL...

Are you people insecure in what you like, paranoid about being trolled or just stupid in general?

We are insecure. Leave us be.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 26 2012, 11:14 AM)

As for the tone of this thread, I think a lot of us don't appreciate a new poster stirring things up with a topic that's been done to death on this board.

Introduce yourself, participate, feel at home, debate and argue. Not the other way around.

What he said was true. The topic creator presented a valid opinion in a civil manner on something that others have agreed with, but since this is a Rush site many people disagree and get angry, which there's really no need for.

That person thinking he isnt as good as he was is just as valid as you saying he's better than he was. It's an opinion. If you like his more creative bombastic style he had in the past, well he isnt going to seem as good to you now because he is in fact playing simpler beats and fills these days. If you're someone who likes a simpler drummer, then he'll sound better to you now. Both opinions are perfectly fine.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 26 2012, 12:45 PM)

What he said was true. The topic creator presented a valid opinion in a civil manner on something that others have agreed with, but since this is a Rush site many people disagree and get angry, which there's really no need for.

That person thinking he isnt as good as he was is just as valid as you saying he's better than he was. It's an opinion. If you like his more creative bombastic style he had in the past, well he isnt going to seem as good to you now because he is in fact playing simpler beats and fills these days. If you're someone who likes a simpler drummer, then he'll sound better to you now. Both opinions are perfectly fine.

Oh please. That OP was f***ing stupid for a first post on board. Period. If you disagree, your wrong. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ May 26 2012, 11:14 AM)

We are insecure. Leave us be.

user posted image

You take that back...please...or don't...whatever you want...MOMMYYYY!!

QUOTE (Tick @ May 26 2012, 12:06 PM)

Oh please. That OP was f***ing stupid for a first post on board. Period. If you disagree, your wrong. atickhum.gif

Look you...I have it on great authority that this Peart character, his playing and his lyrics, peaked on the very first RUSH album when he was called John Rusty?? unsure.gif

Look at his lyrics: "oooooo baby, ooooo baby!" The Godless Fiend! angry.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 26 2012, 10:25 AM)

Look you...I have it on great authority that this Peart character, his playing and his lyrics, peaked on the very first RUSH album when he was called John Rusty?? unsure.gif

rofl3.gif

Now, where's my blankie.....?

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 27 2012, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 26 2012, 10:25 AM)

rofl3.gif

Now, where's my blankie.....?

Is it a blue one?

unsure.gif

Saying that whoever is a better drummer than Neil because they are technically better while ignoring the fact that Neil has helped create some of the most celebrated, astonishing original music for 38 years is like saying your dentists secretary must be a better writer than Ernest Hemingway because she can type 100 words a minute.

It makes no sense and indicates a real willingness to go through life with blinders on, which is probably why people started making fun of the guy immediately.

Heres a tip-if your going to make a point DONT IGNORE 95% OF REALITY TO TRY AND MAKE IT. And certainly dont start a thread saying "Blah-Blah Smith, who never has created anything worth listening to, is a better drummer than Neil cuz he filmed himself in his basement drumming something cool!"

QUOTE (jebren72 @ May 27 2012, 02:05 PM)
Saying that whoever is a better drummer than Neil because they are technically better while ignoring the fact that Neil has helped create some of the most celebrated, astonishing original music for 38 years is like saying your dentists secretary must be a better writer than Ernest Hemingway because she can type 100 words a minute.

Exactly! goodpost.gif

QUOTE (jebren72 @ May 27 2012, 08:05 AM)
Saying that whoever is a better drummer than Neil...is like saying your dentists secretary must be a better writer than Ernest Hemingway because she can type 100 words a minute.

Heres a tip-if your going to make a point DONT IGNORE 95% OF REALITY TO TRY AND MAKE IT.

Point of interest: Do we know how fast Hemingway typed? user posted image

i just don't care who's "better" than who and this person can play a drum fill while in a straight jacket while hanging upside down. do people out there really keep a score card on who's better than who? i listen to music and if i like what i hear i continue to listen and if i don't i move on.

My guess is is that Neil is as technically good as he ever was, but that he's consciously chosen to work on feel and tempo moreso than to demonstrate how technically amazing a drummer he is. Plus, the guy is overly modest, and I think that's a contributing factor too. In fact, I've often thought his modesty holds him back a bit.

One of the things that fires me up most about this upcoming album is that from what I can tell, Nick felt that way too, and he spent more time in studio with Neil than with anyone else. My hope is he was successful in bringing some of that amazing Peart magic out of Neil....

QUOTE (ioc @ May 27 2012, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (jebren72 @ May 27 2012, 08:05 AM)
Saying that whoever is a better drummer than Neil...is like saying your dentists secretary must be a better writer than Ernest Hemingway because she can type 100 words a minute.

Heres a tip-if your going to make a point DONT IGNORE 95% OF REALITY TO TRY AND MAKE IT.

Point of interest: Do we know how fast Hemingway typed? user posted image

80 words a minute when drunk-15 words when not smile.gif

And apparently he could fire a gun even quicker-BA DUM BUM