PREDICTION: two songs never played

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Snow-Dog2112 @ May 22 2012, 06:19 AM)
mark my words, i predict that the couple of songs that Al talked about are gonna be....Losing it....and Different Strings

With all this talk of 'never-played-live' songs, I'm leaning toward glimpsing at the setlist once it's out. (which I try not to) I go to RUSH to hear the great RUSH tunes (and there are at least two full concerts worth IMO). They tossed out Presto last time around, and 1 from S&A, but that was plenty.

I saw every tour from Signals - RTB and they always played the good rockin' songs off the new album and left the rest-- the fillers. If a song was worth playing live, it has been played live. That's just my opinion and I don't mean to step on anybody's toes or crap on anybody's favorite 'gem'.

But when I read all this speculation, I start thinking, well then you lose The Trees or Closer to the Heart or Freewill. All songs that have been LEFT OFF set lists. I can accept that there is only time for 1 or 2 of the 'Epics' (La Villa, Xanadu, 2112, By-Tor) but when a 5 minute song slot given to a 'never-played-live', this robs us of 5 minutes of RUSH -- that RUSH you feel at the climax of the Trees solo, or when Geddy hits the Freewill high notes, or any of a dozen 'classics' that didn't make the cut one tour or another.

The only two songs we know for sure are TS and TSOR. Limelight may have been bumped up into that absolute must category due to its rise in popularity outside of RUSH circles. But the rest is up for grabs.

**And keep in mind, those videos seem to get longer every tour. The three hour show is really only 2 and a quarter of music--it seems. Are we really sure we want 'gem' over say YYZ?

You make a lot of good points Sir, but the answer is a resounding YES! Just cuase they are adding two unplayed songs doesn't really effect anything. They always have two or three gems. We always get:

Tom Saywer

The Spirit of Radio

Limelight

YYZ

Freewill

2112 Overture/ Temples

These are staples, they basically always are there!

As for if they didn't play them, they shouldn't. I don't agree, there are many overlloked somgs throughout the years:

Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore, Vapor Trail, Different Strings, Tears, Losing It, Available Light, Open Secrets, Chain Lightning, Emotion Detector!

Any two of these songs would be more than welcomed. Specially if it would replace "Closer to the Heart"! yes maybe we won't get The Trees, but you can always watch that on a numerous of Videos throughout the years

yes.gif

Edited by losingit2k

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 22 2012, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 05:08 PM)
Are we really sure we want 'gem' over say YYZ?

Um...yeah.

Depending on the 'gem' selected...hell yes.

Just because some songs are awesome, doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing them shelved for others that I haven't yet seen. I'm a huge fan of all their work, and I don't consider anything 'filler'.

I love variation in the setlists...and I'm hoping for much change this time around.

YYZ was such a part of my youth, part of my life. Listening to it hanging out in a garage jamming with band buds. Cruising in car, pop in the MP cassette.

To me, it's the perfect RUSH song.

**hard rocking

**visual imagery (even w/o words)

**cause a physiological reaction similar to adreneline.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 22 2012, 05:24 PM)
The only song that has never been dropped is Tom Sawyer. Every other song has been shelved at least once. There's NO reason any of those songs can't be shelved again. None.

Source.

TSOR was only dropped for the first part of Presto.

They learned their lesson.

TSOR is a rock epic, it was alway on the KLOS Memorial Day 500, and usually above TS.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 22 2012, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 03:08 PM)

Yes. In a heartbeat, yes. If none of the "hits" ever got retired, it would be the same setlist time after time after time. As it is, the setlist is 70% the same every tour, and then they throw in a few from the latest album and one or two "gems". IMO, it should be more like 35% the same from tour to tour with 4-5 tracks from the latest album and a much larger dose of songs that haven't been played regularly.

That's not true.

2112 was gone on S&L leg 1.

Closer to the Heart disappeared for R30 and S&A.

Xanadu has been gone since R30.

The Trees was not on the last tour.

I would agree that they over did MP songs on S&A, which sort of undercut the whole MP entirety on Time Machine.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 22 2012, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 05:08 PM)

Um...yeah.

Depending on the 'gem' selected...hell yes.

Just because some songs are awesome, doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing them shelved for others that I haven't yet seen. I'm a huge fan of all their work, and I don't consider anything 'filler'.

I love variation in the setlists...and I'm hoping for much change this time around.

YYZ was such a part of my youth, part of my life. Listening to it hanging out in a garage jamming with band buds. Cruising in car, pop in the MP cassette.

To me, it's the perfect RUSH song.

**hard rocking

**visual imagery (even w/o words)

**cause a physiological reaction similar to adreneline.

Absolutely. I would not disagree one bit.

YYZ is one of the greatest songs of all time IMO.

But again...that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to see other songs over it. It's not about how great the song is sometimes...it's about how many times I've seen it already versus how many other great tunes I have yet to see live.

Maybe it's just me...but I'm a fan of every Rush song. Literally, every single one. To one extent or another, I like 'em all and there are none that I never listen to.

So...yeah, it's simple for me. I would pick many songs over the great classics. YYZ is fantastic...and if they play it, I'll be flying off the handle air drumming and such. In fact, I'd rather them play YYZ and drop Tom Sawyer, TSOR, Working Man, and others.

At this point...I am begging to get as many 'gems' as possible! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 07:25 PM)
The only song that has never been dropped is Tom Sawyer. Every other song has been shelved at least once. There's NO reason any of those songs can't be shelved again. None.

Source.

TSOR was only dropped for the first part of Presto.

They learned their lesson.

TSOR is a rock epic, it was alway on the KLOS Memorial Day 500, and usually above TS.

And what lesson is that? "Don't ever drop TSOR again or else people won't come to the shows"? Please. Every tour they do is a massive success no matter which of the Big Ten gets left out. Never has someone said "If you don't play Tom Sawyer, I'm staying home because I'm paying $125 to hear one song."

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 07:31 PM)

Yes. In a heartbeat, yes. If none of the "hits" ever got retired, it would be the same setlist time after time after time. As it is, the setlist is 70% the same every tour, and then they throw in a few from the latest album and one or two "gems". IMO, it should be more like 35% the same from tour to tour with 4-5 tracks from the latest album and a much larger dose of songs that haven't been played regularly.

That's not true.

I would agree that they over did MP songs on S&A, which sort of undercut the whole MP entirety on Time Machine.

I have no idea what your point is here. What's not true?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 22 2012, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 22 2012, 07:31 PM)

That's not true.

I have no idea what your point is here. What's not true?

Yeah, I hate to be defending Danny-boy, but what is your point?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 22 2012, 08:20 AM)
Because of Signals 30th anniversary I guess Losing It would be possible. The only song they have yet to plat off PW is Different Strings so I could see that getting played as well. I would love to hear either Open Secrets, Cut To The Chase and Vapor Trail.

I think it'd be much easier for them to re-learn and perform something like Different Strings than something like Open Secrets. For one, the bass playing on that song is insane and it's keyboard heavy. And a lot of the vocals are kind of on the high side. Would Ged be able to tackle all that at his age now and make it sound good?

And here's to Losing It, I think that one might make the cut this time!

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 23 2012, 08:10 AM)
I think it'd be much easier for them to re-learn and perform something like Different Strings than something like Open Secrets. For one, the bass playing on that song is insane and it's keyboard heavy. And a lot of the vocals are kind of on the high side. Would Ged be able to tackle all that at his age now and make it sound good?

I don't know...but I'm sure as hell ready to find out...

yes.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ May 23 2012, 11:52 AM)
I'm still waiting for Lakeside Park to make it's triumphant return!

I really don't think we'll ever hear that again! But never say Never! If Baseballs are round and come in Square boxes, then 2.gif can play Lakeside Park and:

Losing It

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Source.

Re: The 'Source'.

I like that particular site for looking back seeing what Rush did in the past.

But just today, a memory was jogged - and I looked back at the Signals Tour Setlist.

I'm sorry, but it has some inaccuracies. Limelight was the closer. They didn't play La Villa. And the YYZ drum solo was before the encore.

So, that begs the question, are there other inaccuracies in the set lists? I would imagine that the set lists from 2002 on are pretty accurate. And with all the bootlegs out there, I guess we could confirm.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 23 2012, 11:49 AM)

Source.

But just today, a memory was jogged - and I looked back at the Signals Tour Setlist.

I'm sorry, but it has some inaccuracies. Limelight was the closer. They didn't play La Villa. And the YYZ drum solo was before the encore.

So, that begs the question, are there other inaccuracies in the set lists? I would imagine that the set lists from 2002 on are pretty accurate. And with all the bootlegs out there, I guess we could confirm.

Where are you getting your information?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 23 2012, 01:30 PM)

Source.

About the Signals show?

I was there.

I remember that Rush concert better than most because I was not old enough to drink.

La Villa was a song I fell in love with the previous summer, and I remember being disappointed they didn't play it.

They played In The Mood last as they did on the first 3 tours I went to.

Limelight was part of the encore (may have been a second encore). I remember making our way toward the door during Limelight because my mom was picking us up on Manchester Blvd.

And the YYZ drum solo was definitely before the encore.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 23 2012, 04:53 PM)

Source.

About the Signals show?

I was there.

I remember that Rush concert better than most because I was not old enough to drink.

La Villa was a song I fell in love with the previous summer, and I remember being disappointed they didn't play it.

Limelight was part of the encore (may have been a second encore). I remember making our way toward the door during Limelight because my mom was picking us up on Manchester Blvd.

With all due respect, and I'm not saying you're wrong - that was 30 years ago. I would say, at this point, if there's a question about the setlist that's posted over there, bootlegs should be examined (like you mentioned). Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying... reputable website vs. 30 year old memory (from a then-teenager)... it warrants further investigation wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 23 2012, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 23 2012, 04:53 PM)

Source.

About the Signals show?

I was there.

With all due respect, and I'm not saying you're wrong - that was 30 years ago. I would say, at this point, if there's a question about the setlist that's posted over there, bootlegs should be examined (like you mentioned). Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying... reputable website vs. 30 year old memory (from a then-teenager)... it warrants further investigation wink.gif

No...I clearly remember YYZ being the closer because Neil's drum solo was right in the middle of the song.

Limelight was not the closer (at my show anyway). It wasn't even in the encore.

They played both La Villa and In The Mood in the encore, if I remember correctly.

Here are the track lists from two Signals-tour bootlegs:

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1452

October 9, 1982 - Mecca Arena, Milwaukee

DISC 1

The Spirit of Radio 5:44

Tom Sawyer 4:31

Freewill 6:00

Digital Man 7:10

Subdivisions 5:49

Vital Signs 5:09

The Camera Eye 6:48

Closer to the Heart 3:21

Chemistry 5:35

The Analog Kid 5:11

DISC 2

Broon's Bane/The Trees 6:07

Red Barchetta 6:20

The Weapon 7:26

New World Man 4:03

Limelight 4:20

Countdown 5:50

2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Xanadu/La Villa Strangiato/In the Mood 14:23

YYZ/Drum Solo 9:58

http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/datab...ecordingID=1445

November 8, 1982 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit

DISC 1

The Spirit of Radio 5:26

Tom Sawyer 5:27

Freewill 5:29

Digital Man 6:48

Subdivisions 5:25

Vital Signs 5:05

The Camera Eye 6:55

Closer to the Heart 3:24

Chemistry 5:00

The Analog Kid 4:50

DISC 2

Broon's Bane 1:40

The Trees 4:26

Red Barchetta 6:30

The Weapon 7:07

New World Man 4:03

Limelight 4:54

Countdown 5:21

2112 6:24

Xanadu 2:23

La Villa Strangiato 3:28

In the Mood 3:03

YYZ / Drum Solo 8:34

If anyone wants to check a memory against the set list, just find your show from the DRE database and check it out.

Edited by danielmclark

Here's a little piece from RIAB:

And Geddy also had the following to say about the set list in his recent Prog magazine interview:

We're just putting the set-list together right now so I can't really comment on it. We'll have a lot of variety though, and we'll be changing things around a bit. Obviously there's some stalwart songs that you can't drop without fans killing you. But we're trying to mix it up and make it interesting.