I'm honestly kind of dreading CA

rushgoober

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 19 2012, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (Steely Caress @ May 19 2012, 11:40 AM)
I am optimistic for a good release. But I cannot stand reviews that say it can be one of their best or is their BEST album))) LOL. For a band with a track record like Rush, that is an awful big statement, and sadly have heard it before. So I am not buying it.
Will let my ears decide.
Old RUSH GREAT, New Rush Good))

I truly like that:

Old RUSH Great, New RUSH Good! Lets just keep the bad in the drawer for when someone brings out the Vapor Trail Mix!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

and lets hope we hear losing it)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 19 2012, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 19 2012, 09:59 AM)
I always find it surprising whenever I read your threads, how much you like S&A but aren't getting into Headlong Flight. It's not to say that I don't like S&A, there are a few songs on there I absolutely love. In fact, when I first heard Far Cry, I believe I said something to the effect of "This is the best Rush song in a very long time".

Far Cry is a stone cold classic (for a song that's only 5 years old!) - even without anything resembling a real guitar solo, it's just pure awesomeness - fantastic, inspirational, exciting, timely lyrics with a universal appeal, melody aplenty, etc. I wish I could say any of the first 3 songs on CA were in that same league. Great musical chops and cool instrumental breakdown sections aren't enough for me for a great song unless it's an instrumental where Rush is concerned. The lyrics have to move me.

I don't know, man. I'm excited to see which goobs thread we see when CA finally comes out. Will be it that the album is actually awesome? Or will he just confirm that his fears were correct all along.

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong if I love the rest of the album, and the happiest person here that I was wrong. Even though some don't want to believe me, I truly do listen open-mindedly and give the new stuff a more than fair chance. I WANT to be wrong about the new album! I don't want to spend $15 and come up with nothing other than keeping my collection complete.

I haven't even given up on the first 3 songs yet, and maybe they'll grow on me. Well, I pretty much have given up on Faithless Part II (sorry, BU2B unsure.gif ) unless the lyrics suddenly somehow greatly change their meaning in the context of the concept, but from what I've read about how the songs are supposed to be able to stand alone as well, I doubt that will happen.

I feel the same way that you do about BU2B. It's hard for me to even listen to it anymore. I do feel that, musically, it is a great song, however, the lyrics don't speak to me and they feel quite tired. It just feels "preachy" I guess. We get it. You don't like religions. Can we move on please? I just don't care about religious lyrics at all, for or against. So I can't get into them. It's kind of frustrating to because, musically, I feel Faithless and BU2B to be very strong songs. But I don't feel the lyrics at all. And that makes songs suffer for me.

I also value strong lyrics that I can find a deep connection with. I feel the lyrics to Headlong Flight are quite strong, but not as strong as Far Cry, I would say. I do like Caravan but the song sounds a bit awkward to me. Far Cry's lyrics are just so moving and inspirational, it makes it hard for me to believe anyone doesn't like that song.

I don't know. I'm mildly excited for Clockwork Angels but I'm not as pumped as I was about 2 years ago. Headlong Flight bumped me up from indifference.

I pretty much agree. And yes, where HF stands above the other two songs for me is lyrically.

I guess I'm really starting to understand how important Rush lyrics are for me personally - that and melody. There are very important aspect of them musically as well, but if the lyrics aren't there, the music can be awesome and I just won't like the song. When I think about almost every Rush song I truly dislike, it's because I don't like the lyrics before any other considerations. The exception to that rule are a couple of tepid instrumentals. I guess another exception would be their debut album, which doesn't always have stellar lyrics to say the least, but at least they're fun and the music kicks enough ass that I can overlook it. Saying "at least they're fun" still for me is saying a lot. For example, I think the lyrics to In the Mood are enjoyable, whereas some of the lyrics in songs like say Virtuality or Tai Shan or I Think I'm Going Bald are deal breakers.

I don't feel this way about other groups per se, the necessity of great lyrics, but Rush have always moved me with their lyrics, and when they're not quite there, the song just doesn't work for me. A song being way too repetitive and not having a lot of melody is also a major strike against, otherwise I'd think HF was great instead of merely good.

Yes. All of the above.

I don't necessarily disagree with Neil's message, but I didn't ask to "get a witness." If the lyrics were at least clever that would be one thing, but those songs are just way too think and heavy-handed. I like challenging lyrics, but that's not the same thing as being preached at by them. (and I don't like my music preaching at me, unless of course it's about wings) It's the same reason I don't listen to any preachy music: religious, social, ecological, political, et al. I want my music to entertain me, not try to beat me over the head. Even I agree, I'm not big on crapping on someone else's beliefs.

It's his music, he can do what he wants, it's only lyrics, whatever; but I just don't get it and don't particularly care for it is all.

Edited by ioc

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 19 2012, 10:01 AM)
Too much Metal for Goobs to handle 1022.gif

He lost all credibility with me with that statement about Grateful Dead being the greatest American rock band. They would be on my 5 worst list. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ May 19 2012, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 19 2012, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:22 PM)
I always find it surprising whenever I read your threads, how much you like S&A but aren't getting into Headlong Flight. It's not to say that I don't like S&A, there are a few songs on there I absolutely love. In fact, when I first heard Far Cry, I believe I said something to the effect of "This is the best Rush song in a very long time".

Far Cry is a stone cold classic (for a song that's only 5 years old!) - even without anything resembling a real guitar solo, it's just pure awesomeness - fantastic, inspirational, exciting, timely lyrics with a universal appeal, melody aplenty, etc. I wish I could say any of the first 3 songs on CA were in that same league. Great musical chops and cool instrumental breakdown sections aren't enough for me for a great song unless it's an instrumental where Rush is concerned. The lyrics have to move me.

I don't know, man. I'm excited to see which goobs thread we see when CA finally comes out. Will be it that the album is actually awesome? Or will he just confirm that his fears were correct all along.

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong if I love the rest of the album, and the happiest person here that I was wrong. Even though some don't want to believe me, I truly do listen open-mindedly and give the new stuff a more than fair chance. I WANT to be wrong about the new album! I don't want to spend $15 and come up with nothing other than keeping my collection complete.

I haven't even given up on the first 3 songs yet, and maybe they'll grow on me. Well, I pretty much have given up on Faithless Part II (sorry, BU2B unsure.gif ) unless the lyrics suddenly somehow greatly change their meaning in the context of the concept, but from what I've read about how the songs are supposed to be able to stand alone as well, I doubt that will happen.

I feel the same way that you do about BU2B. It's hard for me to even listen to it anymore. I do feel that, musically, it is a great song, however, the lyrics don't speak to me and they feel quite tired. It just feels "preachy" I guess. We get it. You don't like religions. Can we move on please? I just don't care about religious lyrics at all, for or against. So I can't get into them. It's kind of frustrating to because, musically, I feel Faithless and BU2B to be very strong songs. But I don't feel the lyrics at all. And that makes songs suffer for me.

I also value strong lyrics that I can find a deep connection with. I feel the lyrics to Headlong Flight are quite strong, but not as strong as Far Cry, I would say. I do like Caravan but the song sounds a bit awkward to me. Far Cry's lyrics are just so moving and inspirational, it makes it hard for me to believe anyone doesn't like that song.

I don't know. I'm mildly excited for Clockwork Angels but I'm not as pumped as I was about 2 years ago. Headlong Flight bumped me up from indifference.

I pretty much agree. And yes, where HF stands above the other two songs for me is lyrically.

I guess I'm really starting to understand how important Rush lyrics are for me personally - that and melody. There are very important aspect of them musically as well, but if the lyrics aren't there, the music can be awesome and I just won't like the song. When I think about almost every Rush song I truly dislike, it's because I don't like the lyrics before any other considerations. The exception to that rule are a couple of tepid instrumentals. I guess another exception would be their debut album, which doesn't always have stellar lyrics to say the least, but at least they're fun and the music kicks enough ass that I can overlook it. Saying "at least they're fun" still for me is saying a lot. For example, I think the lyrics to In the Mood are enjoyable, whereas some of the lyrics in songs like say Virtuality or Tai Shan or I Think I'm Going Bald are deal breakers.

I don't feel this way about other groups per se, the necessity of great lyrics, but Rush have always moved me with their lyrics, and when they're not quite there, the song just doesn't work for me. A song being way too repetitive and not having a lot of melody is also a major strike against, otherwise I'd think HF was great instead of merely good.

Yes. All of the above.

I don't necessarily disagree with Neil's message, but I didn't ask to "get a witness." If the lyrics were at least clever that would be one thing, but those songs are just way too think and heavy-handed. I like challenging lyrics, but that's not the same thing as being preached at by them. (and I don't like my music preaching at me, unless of course it's about wings) It's the same reason I don't listen to any preachy music: religious, social, ecological, political, et al. I want my music to entertain me, not try to beat me over the head. Even I agree, I'm not big on crapping on someone else's beliefs.

It's his music, he can do what he wants, it's only lyrics, whatever; but I just don't get it and don't particularly care for it is all.

People, even though Neil probably believes all that stuff, It is a concept album and the lyrics reflect the opinion of the character. in this case the protagonist's views of the world he has just begun to understand. A world that is nothing like he was brought up to believe. A much different and pessimistic world. Much like Goober's views of new RUSH!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 19 2012, 01:23 PM)
Too much Metal for Goobs to handle  1022.gif

He lost all credibility with me with that statement about Grateful Dead being the greatest American rock band. They would be on my 5 worst list. tongue.gif

You got that right! I bought their Greatest hits and figured they could have just released a 45 of it instead! I guess they were so popular because their fans were always stoned.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 19 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 19 2012, 01:23 PM)
Too much Metal for Goobs to handle  1022.gif

You got that right! I bought their Greatest hits and figured they could have just released a 45 of it instead! I guess they were so popular because their fans were always stoned.

cool10.gif

eyesre4.gif

Everyone's entitled to their opinions... even when they're wrong. tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ May 19 2012, 05:32 AM)
Like I said in another thread, Goober is doing everything he can to set himself up to dislike CA.

His choice.

Then you're not really reading everything I'm saying. Your choice. wink.gif

If you didn't care for the first 3 songs of the 12 that exist on the album, and disliked 4 of their last 6 albums, would you be optimistic? confused13.gif

If I didn't like the first 3 songs that have been released and if I didn't like 4 of the last 6 albums I wouldn't even be here. It would be a waste of my time.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 19 2012, 01:51 PM)
Like I said in another thread, Goober is doing everything he can to set himself up to dislike CA.

His choice.

If you didn't care for the first 3 songs of the 12 that exist on the album, and disliked 4 of their last 6 albums, would you be optimistic? confused13.gif

If I didn't like the first 3 songs that have been released and if I didn't like 4 of the last 6 albums I wouldn't even be here. It would be a waste of my time.

Exactly. I haven't liked five of the last six Queensryche albums, so I don't hang out on Queensryche fan boards. Seems rather pointless.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 02:57 PM)

His choice.

Exactly. I haven't liked five of the last six Queensryche albums, so I don't hang out on Queensryche fan boards. Seems rather pointless.

Goobs has nothing better to do than hang out at forums of bands he used to like back in the 80s. He's just a nostalgia fan, living his youth all over again! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 19 2012, 06:50 AM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 19 2012, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 19 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 19 2012, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 19 2012, 08:53 AM)
Goober is Faithless.

maybe it's just how he was BU2B

laugh.gif

Such the headlong flight into dreadful angst must really be depressing, poor guy!

Hey Godeater, nice to see ya jumpin on the Caravan!

laugh.gif

Yeah, but you know, Goober moaning about the current state of Rush and talking about how his life peaked the first time he heard Moving Pictures, how it was the sound of angels and nothing will ever turn him on as much as that again is regular as clockwork around here!

Oh come now, the periodic whiny Goober thread is part of what makes me so loveable! tongue.gif

yes.gif laugh.gif

Though I'm hoping next time you'll throw a curve and come up with a title that doesn't quite as instantly identify the thread as one of yours wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 19 2012, 04:00 PM)

His choice.

Goobs has nothing better to do than hang out at forums of bands he used to like back in the 80s. He's just a nostalgia fan, living his youth all over again! tongue.gif

tongue.gif

His choice.

I do like newer QR somewhat but the fan board experience was not good. Only board I have ever quit. It's almost like there was an unspoken mandate(mods included) to bash Tate and newer QR. When I would try to make a point otherwise they would nitpick my posts and threaten me with bans. That board is an embarrassment to the band IMO.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 19 2012, 12:51 PM)

His choice.

Personal choice then I guess. They're still my favorite all time band - 14 great albums and dozens of amazing songs. Not many bands I can say that about... and hope doth spring eternal! yes.gif

Wow - this might seem out of left feild, but the first thing I though when reading yet another one of these threads is that I cant imagine what a chore it is to have sex with you, lol

"well, this postion might feel good, but I'm worried it wont - so lets try this - but wait, the last time we did that it was good in the beginning and then got boring, so, I'm thinking maybe we could start with this and then finish this way?? It's just that sex hasn't been that great for the last few years so I'm not even sure we should do this but I'll give it a shot - I sure hope this feels good - but I bet it wont..."

There's a fine line between analyzing and obsessing.

relaaaaaaaaax

cool.gif

Edited by eshine

Rushgoober,

I have a feeling that you are just days away from being pleasantly surprised by this release.

Caravan; BU2B and Headlong Flight are just puzzle pieces of a bigger puzzle and that puzzle, when pieced together will be your favourite release of 2012.

I'd wager a Guinness on that!

~Cheers, RGLT cool.gif

PS...

Rushgoober loves and respects Rush = I love and respect Rushgoober!

2.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ May 19 2012, 02:50 PM)
Rushgoober,

I have a feeling that you are just days away from being pleasantly surprised by this release.

Caravan; BU2B and Headlong Flight are just puzzle pieces of a bigger puzzle and that puzzle, when pieced together will be your favourite release of 2012.

I'd wager a Guinness on that!

~Cheers, RGLT cool.gif

PS...

Rushgoober loves and respects Rush = I love and respect Rushgoober!

2.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

Dude, I sincerely hope you're right. I doubt it, but I hope so! tongue.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ May 19 2012, 02:28 PM)
Wow - this might seem out of left feild, but the first thing I though when reading yet another one of these threads is that I cant imagine what a chore it is to have sex with you, lol

"well, this postion might feel good, but I'm worried it wont - so lets try this - but wait, the last time we did that it was good in the beginning and then got boring, so, I'm thinking maybe we could start with this and then finish this way?? It's just that sex hasn't been that great for the last few years so I'm not even sure we should do this but I'll give it a shot - I sure hope this feels good - but I bet it wont..."

There's a  fine line between analyzing and obsessing. 

relaaaaaaaaax

cool.gif

Wow! Did you just make a pass at me? confused13.gif

tongue.gif

unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 07:03 AM)
I guess the problem with such a long wait for an album (considering it was announced 2 years ago) is there's just too much damn time to give the situation a lot more thought than it probably deserves.

My skepticism about CA, despite the stellar pre-release industry reviews, is growing.

The problem is, I'm just not digging the first three songs. HF is definitely better than the first two, but even that I'm finding a chore to listen to.

If it wasn't for having heard one-quarter of the songs already, and not getting into them, I would be excited. I thought S&A was a very good album, and I liked or loved more than half the songs. With CA, IMHO we're not off to a good start.

I'm still hoping for 1 or 2 great songs. I feel I'd be REALLY lucky to get 3. When I'm really honest with myself, however, hoping for 1 or 2 great songs, and thinking 3 great songs is probably wishful thinking, isn't really that great. It seems a long, long time ago that it was a given that a new impending Rush album would be consistent and awesome.

People keep encouraging me to appreciate new Rush for what it is and not compare it to their old stuff, and that's all well and great, but the songs still have to be of at least a certain quality for me to want to play them, and what I've heard so far isn't quite making the cut.

I know "dread" is a strong word to use, but I'm just not looking forward to what I fear will be yet another late career, sub-standard release. Some will say I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I feel if anything I'm trying to prevent myself from being disappointed by keeping my expectations, based on my experience with the album so far, in check. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than have unrealistic expectations crushed.

Don't get me wrong, I will get the album the first day of release and devour it ASAP. I WILL listen with an open mind, and I truly WANT to love every new song, but my hope and enthusiasm is dwindling. I'm anxious about it, but not really in an excited way - more in a wanting to get it over with way.

Feel free to accuse me of excessive negativity if you must, but these are my honest thoughts on the matter. It might not be the most popular point of view, and I'm sure I'm in a small minority, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels similarly either...

You won't be the first person to not like a Rush album, so no great tragedy I'm sure. Maybe with such low expectations you'll be surprised. Anyhow, I feel bad for you. I'd really hate to go into a new Rush record strongly disliking the three songs I'd heard. Lucky for me, I don't.

Go me.

QUOTE (eshine @ May 19 2012, 04:28 PM)

There's a fine line between analyzing and obsessing.

relaaaaaaaaax

cool.gif

This may be the funniest thing I've read here in a long, long time. biggrin.gif

Goobs, I appreciate your opinion, and although I do love the three new songs, I can see why not liking them would put you in such a position.

All that said, I don't know what you're expecting by putting up a thread like this. No one is going to change your mind on here, and nothing will until the album is out. It's best to just wait and see...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 19 2012, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ May 19 2012, 04:28 PM)

There's a  fine line between analyzing and obsessing. 

relaaaaaaaaax

cool.gif

This may be the funniest thing I've read here in a long, long time. biggrin.gif

Now THAT'S thinking outside the box smile.gif

....um er uh wait I uh

laugh.gif