Concert Tickets

Vaporush

QUOTE (jjgittes @ May 17 2012, 11:46 AM)
Every time we all lament about ticket prices, it reminds of what a dj said about Bruce Springsteen being a "hyprocrite." Springsteen wails about the rich abusing power and keeping people poor but now the only people who can afford to see him are the very people he whines about.

I am No fan of Bruce but that is not true . My friends wife is a Huge fan. They go every tour and they got 2nd row for $100 each on the last tour he did.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 17 2012, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (jjgittes @ May 17 2012, 11:46 AM)
Every time we all lament about ticket prices, it reminds of what a dj said about Bruce Springsteen being a "hyprocrite." Springsteen wails about the rich abusing power and keeping people poor but now the only people who can afford to see him are the very people he whines about.

I am No fan of Bruce but that is not true . My friends wife is a Huge fan. They go every tour and they got 2nd row for $100 each on the last tour he did.

well said smile.gif

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ May 17 2012, 02:59 PM)
If i could buy a decent seat then i'm willing to pay for it but in London at the moment i can't, they want $100 for back of the stadium on presale which sucks!

And for the back of the stadium here in the States it's about $60 with all the fees and stuff added in. So the extra $40 accounts for the additional cost of moving the entire production to an entirely different continent, as I said the other day. It's not like the guys in the band just hop on a plane and fly over - the entire production has to move thousands of miles across an ocean. That's not cheap.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 17 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 03:45 PM)
i really think we need to knock the idea on the head that the cost of the ticket has to do with the cost of the "lighting rig"

i have been to spectacular shows in the SECC at waaay below these ticket prices.

they charge this money in the hope people will pay it - fair enough i have no argument with that

but please stop trying to justify these prices as something to do with the light show!! utter bollox biggrin.gif

It's not bollox at all.

Higher production value = justification for charging a higher ticket price.

Exactly.

Just ask Roger Waters.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ May 19 2012, 10:51 AM)
i really think we need to knock the idea on the head that the cost of the ticket has to do with the cost of the "lighting rig"

i have been to spectacular shows in the SECC at waaay below these ticket prices.

they charge this money in the hope people will pay it - fair enough i have no argument with that

but please stop trying to justify these prices as something to do with the light show!! utter bollox biggrin.gif

It's not bollox at all.

Exactly.

Just ask Roger Waters.

Agreed. "Close" seats for Rodger Waters in Atlanta are $230.00 each and that's before all the added fees.

QUOTE (johndyar @ May 19 2012, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ May 19 2012, 10:51 AM)

It's not bollox at all.

Exactly.

Just ask Roger Waters.

Agreed. "Close" seats for Rodger Waters in Atlanta are $230.00 each and that's before all the added fees.

And I bet they were all sold out, too.

Floor seats for his San Francisco show were $281, and they were packed full. There must have been 30,000 people there.

If you put on a great production, people will pay to see it.

QUOTE (jjgittes @ May 17 2012, 08:46 AM)
Every time we all lament about ticket prices, it reminds of what a dj said about Bruce Springsteen being a "hyprocrite." Springsteen wails about the rich abusing power and keeping people poor but now the only people who can afford to see him are the very people he whines about. Well, maybe there is a message in there somewhere, I don't know. wtf.gif

Yeah...the message is that Springsteen is a 3 chord, untalented, hack musician, ignorant douchebag.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (New Digital Man @ May 17 2012, 02:59 PM)
If i could buy a decent seat then i'm willing to pay for it but in London at the moment i can't, they want $100 for back of the stadium on presale which sucks!

And for the back of the stadium here in the States it's about $60 with all the fees and stuff added in. So the extra $40 accounts for the additional cost of moving the entire production to an entirely different continent, as I said the other day. It's not like the guys in the band just hop on a plane and fly over - the entire production has to move thousands of miles across an ocean. That's not cheap.

I think you misunderstand me, what i was trying to say is that i'm happy to buy a decent ticket and would happily pay over a hundred dollars but all they're offering are bad tickets first at $100! You can't tell me that all the good blocks have gone in the first few days, it's simply not the case! I want to buy a decent ticket and i am happy to pay for it!

QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 01:59 PM)
quite simply there is no excuse

i love rush and given i get to see them rarely i am willing to shell out crazy money to see them.

but anybody trying to justify the ludicrous ticket prices and scalping of ticket agencies to be in the "front rows" cuts no ice with me biggrin.gif

give me standing freesale anytime - it worked fine for me when i saw them in the 70's and 80's and if you are so old that you can't hack that and want a seat now well .. hell mend you smile.gif you can have the seats at the back and sides.

no seats = no scalping and no pricing structures suited for those with the money

d

trink39.gif

Once again I'm in complete agreement with you! Have to say I am very surprised there aren't more people on this forum who see it that way.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ May 19 2012, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (s_b_g @ May 17 2012, 01:59 PM)
quite simply there is no excuse

i love rush and given i get to see them rarely i am willing to shell out crazy money to see them.

but anybody trying to justify the ludicrous ticket prices and scalping of ticket agencies to be in the "front rows" cuts no ice with me biggrin.gif

give me standing freesale anytime - it worked fine for me when i saw them in the 70's and 80's and if you are so old that you can't hack that and want a seat now well .. hell mend you smile.gif you can have the seats at the back and sides.

no seats = no scalping and no pricing structures suited for those with the money

d

trink39.gif

Once again I'm in complete agreement with you! Have to say I am very surprised there aren't more people on this forum who see it that way.

I guess because most of us don't feel like being treated like cattle for three hours just so you can save a few bucks. I paid $125 for my 9th row ticket, and I'd pay triple that - or more - for front row as long as I don't have to deal with people like you guys shoving your way to the front and spilling your cheap beer on me. General seating blows.

And about ticket prices in general? Welcome to capitalism. If you don't want to pay a reseller, you certainly have that option. Just don't pretend like you have some sort of inherent right to certain tickets just because you're a fan. The tickets are sold to whoever pays for them, and if some of the buyers want to turn around and resell them, that's their right. Their property, their right to do what they want with it.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ May 19 2012, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (jjgittes @ May 17 2012, 08:46 AM)
Every time we all lament about ticket prices, it reminds of what a dj said about Bruce Springsteen being a "hyprocrite." Springsteen wails about the rich abusing power and keeping people poor but now the only people who can afford to see him are the very people he whines about.  Well, maybe there is a message in there somewhere, I don't know.  wtf.gif

Yeah...the message is that Springsteen is a 3 chord, untalented, hack musician, ignorant douchebag.

True but his ticket prices a cheaper than Rush

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 03:45 PM)
I guess because most of us don't feel like being treated like cattle for three hours just so you can save a few bucks. I paid $125 for my 9th row ticket, and I'd pay triple that - or more - for front row as long as I don't have to deal with people like you guys shoving your way to the front and spilling your cheap beer on me. General seating blows.

goodpost.gif

Agree 100%.