Album leak??

RUSHandOSU

It's not related to Rush or CA, but this reminded me of the whole "piracy is killing music" and "don't download the illegal leak!!!" argument that Terrapin was trying (and failing) to make earlier in the thread:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/540312_10150756366832742_615317741_9559280_926851653_n.jpg

Avengers made over a billion worldwide in less than, what, three weeks? Put out a good product and people will pay for it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 02:53 PM)
It's not related to Rush or CA, but this reminded me of the whole "piracy is killing music" and "don't download the illegal leak!!!" argument that Terrapin was trying (and failing) to make earlier in the thread:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/540312_10150756366832742_615317741_9559280_926851653_n.jpg

Avengers made over a billion worldwide in less than, what, three weeks? Put out a good product and people will pay for it.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 03:53 PM)

I usually agree with your posts about piracy, but that meme is a terrible example.

Going to the movie theater is a totally different experience than downloading a leak, you can't say that all the pirates would have skipped the movie theater just because they downloaded the leak.

Well I can't say I'd skip buying the album because I downloaded the leak! Yeah music is music but I also prefer the highest of audio quality and the packaging as well! Not to mention I'm even buying the vinyl for the 12" CA jacket! 1022.gif That's goin away in sealed condition right alongside Snakes and Arrows smile.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 19 2012, 07:09 PM)

I usually agree with your posts about piracy, but that meme is a terrible example.

Going to the movie theater is a totally different experience than downloading a leak, you can't say that all the pirates would have skipped the movie theater just because they downloaded the leak.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that if the choice is between spending $20 on a trip to the movies or waiting a few months and getting it for free, it says a lot about people's willingness to spend money when a movie like Avengers makes a billion dollars before the end of the month. The graphic might be more apt when the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out, but it's relevant enough that I thought it fitting.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 19 2012, 07:09 PM)

I see what you mean, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that if the choice is between spending $20 on a trip to the movies or waiting a few months and getting it for free, it says a lot about people's willingness to spend money when a movie like Avengers makes a billion dollars before the end of the month. The graphic might be more apt when the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out, but it's relevant enough that I thought it fitting.

Good point. I am interested to see how DVD sales go - that will be the real[/] test. yes.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 18 2012, 10:35 AM)
I sometimes buy multiple copies of albums as gifts. Helps sales too. wink.gif I bought 3 copies of Kiss's last album and VH's as well, for that very reason. Might here too.

Yep, I bought 4 copies of S&A (2 CD's - 1 digipack & 1 jewelcase, MVI, and Vinyl).

I ended up giving the digi-pack away to my friend. He was digging it lots, and moving away...so I was happy to give him a copy!

I already have the fanpack ordered, as well as a vinyl copy from the Backstage Club. Yet, I'm still debating now getting that RR vinyl/CD combo as well.

The label is being VERY careful with this release. Usually they will send out promos (physical or digital streams). But they are instead having people listen to the album at their office. Leaks don't really happen that often from press anymore anyway (due to who they send them to, and how they send them out). So if this is going to leak, it will be via retail.

I only bring all this up because, when a label is this active in protecting a leak, it means they are more likely to take measures to make sure retail copies don't leak as well. Instead of shipping the album out a week + in advance to stores to stock them, they might wait till the Monday of the release (or the weekend before release).

So if this is going to leak it will have to come from the manufacturing plant (where they make the CDs + packaging), shipping (once they ship the units out), or at the store once retail copies arrive and someone in retail snags an early copy.

But because RR is staying all over this, wouldn't be surprised is this didn't leak until the week before release. And believe it or not, as of late, labels have gotten a lot better at stopping albums from leaking. I mean of course this will leak, but they are getting better at keeping a leak very close to the release.

EDIT to say: It comes out in Aus on the 8th. And that's not that far off. So we will no doubt get it from a retail copy from there. Our best bet is that they ship them to AUS stores a couple days before release and we get it around the 5th-7th. I didn't realize the release was already this soon.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale