911?

friendlyfloridian

Am I late to the party but I just noticed that the time on the cover is set to 911? Very strange it would be set to that time considering that awful day!

Thoughts?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png/220px-Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png

Edited by friendlyfloridian

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:17 AM)
It's not 9:11. It's 9:12, which, on a 24-hour clock, is 21:12. It's an in-joke.

How in the world can u tell the difference?

The 10 would be the center of the X thingy, so 11 would probably be touching the symbol still.. so 12 is just past that in the empty space.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ May 11 2012, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 09:18 AM)

The 10 would be the center of the X thingy, so 11 would probably be touching the symbol still.. so 12 is just past that in the empty space.

oh I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

unsure.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 08:18 AM)

How can you? What makes you so sure it's 9:11?

The common wisdom says 9:12 because it's inconceivable that they would reference 9/11 on this album cover. It's infinitely more likely that it's a subtle 2112 reference because they have a history of doing that.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 08:25 AM)
Still to me it looks like 9:11. It is only 1 minute away from that. I am kinda surprised the guys didn't consider that. I had a friend that died on the flight that hit tower 2.

Oh well...

Then respectfully, I would suggest that you have too much of an emotional frame of mind and you're seeing things that aren't there.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:25 AM)

The common wisdom says 9:12 because it's inconceivable that they would reference 9/11 on this album cover. It's infinitely more likely that it's a subtle 2112 reference because they have a history of doing that.

Slow down there partner. I never said that I am 100% positive that it is referring to 911. It is just that it is extremely close to that date / time. A little in bad taste IMHO. That's all.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 09:25 AM)

yes.gif

1000 times yes.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:28 AM)
Still to me it looks like 9:11. It is only 1 minute away from that. I am kinda surprised the guys didn't consider that. I had a friend that died on the flight that hit tower 2.

Oh well...

Then respectfully, I would suggest that you have too much of an emotional frame of mind and you're seeing things that aren't there.

Yes I agree however I am not THAT off base because look, even if 9:12 IS the intention, it sure is close to 911. That's all I am saying.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 08:29 AM)

Oh well...

Yes I agree however I am not THAT off base because look, even if 9:12 IS the intention, it sure is close to 911. That's all I am saying.

If it's 9:12 on the clock, that's one minute away from 9:11 on the clock, that's true. Where I think your emotions are clouding your judgement is the part where you think the artist/band should have considered that. You're making connections that don't need to be made. It's a clock, not a calendar. It's an album set in a steampunk universe that has nothing to do with the real world, not a modern work set in New York City.

The guys didn't need to consider anything because if everyone went around scared to use the numbers 9 and 11 in close proximity to each other, life would be pretty... challenging. It's been 11 years. For some, it was like yesterday. I respect that. But not everything that uses the numbers 9 and 11 are connected to it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 08:29 AM)

Oh well...

If it's 9:12 on the clock, that's one minute away from 9:11 on the clock, that's true. Where I think your emotions are clouding your judgement is the part where you think the artist/band should have considered that. You're making connections that don't need to be made. It's a clock, not a calendar. It's an album set in a steampunk universe that has nothing to do with the real world, not a modern work set in New York City.

The guys didn't need to consider anything because if everyone went around scared to use the numbers 9 and 11 in close proximity to each other, life would be pretty... challenging. It's been 11 years. For some, it was like yesterday. I respect that. But not everything that uses the numbers 9 and 11 are connected to it.

I agree. It is just that artists tend to get a lot more criticism for their work, especially if it is resembles some sort of tragedy (no matter how remote), because the artist is 100% in control of what they publish. Thus my reasoning that they SHOULD consider it. My opinion, I realize that.

Don't get me wrong. I still love RUSH and don't think ill of them for the picture used in this fashion. I just don't like it.

I understand your sensitivity to the issue but it's clearly 9:12. The same thing was done on the inside cover art of Hold Your Fire.

Actually, what no one has commented on about the clock in this or any other thread I've seen about it is that the clock is broken laugh.gif . The hour hand pointing exactly at the 9 would be almost a quarter of the way up to the 10 on a real, working clock.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 11 2012, 10:40 AM)
I understand your sensitivity to the issue but it's clearly 9:12. The same thing was done on the inside cover art of Hold Your Fire.

Actually, what no one has commented on about the clock in this or any other thread I've seen about it is that the clock is broken laugh.gif . The hour hand pointing exactly at the 9 would be almost a quarter of the way up to the 10 on a real, working clock.

Good one!

QUOTE (Animate @ May 11 2012, 08:46 AM)
It is quite a stretch to think that it would reference anything but 21:12

BTW: What is the dinky third hand pointing to?

I think you're just seeing the back of the hour hand.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:36 AM)
You're making connections that don't need to be made.

Respectfully, it is easy for you to say this. It didn't happen to you.

Dude. The tragic events of September 11, 2001 happened to everyone. Those who lost lives, those who lost loved ones and Americans who felt attacked, and peaceful people of the world who were upset at the violence. You have a personal connection because of the loss of your friend, but you don't get to claim that it only happened to you or others with personal connections.

411 is also very close to 911. Should the "information" agencies stop publicizing that number? Of course not. 811 has now replaced the "Call Before You Dig" 800 number. 811 began in 2005, which was after the tragedies of 9-11. Are they being insensitive to 9-11? Of course not.

First, in my opinion, you are over-reaching to suggest the clock represents not only the time 9:11, but that Rush intentionally chose that time for some connection to the date. But, second, and more importantly, you are absolutely incorrect and out of line to accuse Rush of doing something with the clock that is "a little in bad taste" because "it is extremely close to that date / time."

You clearly have an emotional connection to that date, and it means something completely different to you than it does to others. I am sorry for your loss, and hope you can see that Rush's album cover in no way exhibits bad taste related to those events of 9-11.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 11 2012, 11:32 AM)
you don't get to claim that it only happened to you or others with personal connections.

There is a difference in that I DID have someone die on that day that I know, I don't think u did.

Edited by friendlyfloridian