Car Experts...I'd like some opinions!

EmotionDetector

This is a question for you 'Car Experts' here!

I currently only have my one vehicle right now (2002 Honda Accord Coupe), which I love.

With us expecting a child in the fall, we have the need to get a 4-door sedan to make our lives easier. So, we're currently looking to purchase a second car for us...which my wife will mainly drive.

She prefers a smaller vehicle, which is fine by me (as long as I can fit in it!). I have been looking around for awhile, checking deals and prices.

Now...I've always been high on Japanese vehicles, and I love my Accord. Amazing really. BUT...with Japanese cars, comes bigger prices.

I've lately been looking at a 2012 Kia Rio Sedan. To me, the Kia seems to provide tons of options and luxuries to a vehicle of its class for a much more affordable budget than other cars. For instance, a fully loaded Rio comes in at about $6000 less than a bare-bones Honda Civic.

I've seen Kia getting great reviews overall...but I wanted to see what some of you think? Anyone here driving Kia that could enlighten me on your feelings regarding their vehicles??

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 10 2012, 09:51 AM)

I currently only have my one vehicle right now (2002 Honda Accord Coupe), which I love.

With us expecting a child in the fall, we have the need to get a 4-door sedan to make our lives easier. So, we're currently looking to purchase a second car for us...which my wife will mainly drive.

She prefers a smaller vehicle, which is fine by me (as long as I can fit in it!). I have been looking around for awhile, checking deals and prices.

Now...I've always been high on Japanese vehicles, and I love my Accord. Amazing really. BUT...with Japanese cars, comes bigger prices.

I've lately been looking at a 2012 Kia Rio Sedan. To me, the Kia seems to provide tons of options and luxuries to a vehicle of its class for a much more affordable budget than other cars. For instance, a fully loaded Rio comes in at about $6000 less than a bare-bones Honda Civic.

I've seen Kia getting great reviews overall...but I wanted to see what some of you think? Anyone here driving Kia that could enlighten me on your feelings regarding their vehicles??

Most important - make sure it's Green and Gold.

Seriously, what about a used Acura or Infiniti? Get a 2009, 2010 at about $25-30K

I have the Infiniti EX, it's a crossover and it's small, but still has room for my golf clubs and groceries smile.gif

what ever you get, make sure you have a good service history. Get a extendo warrenty too. many off lease/rental cars have had very poor service, min service at best. Advise to stay away from those. Dont buy into the "we dont sell cars with paint work" bs... 30yrs in the car biz fyi.... tongue.gif

Like WCM said, the quality in American cars has come a long way. I'll put my American cars up against anything else made today. My 2008 Tahoe has 75,000 miles on it and the power lock relays were replaced under warranty. The only money I've spent on the vehicle is oil, tires, and brakes.

My 2009 Pontiac G8 has 50,000 miles and I've done nothing to it other than change the oil.

That said, check out the Chevy Cruze or the Ford Focus. At least drive them and see how they compare to the Kia.

Edited by ILSnwdog

I've had two Hyundais in a row and they've been great. Had the Tiburon and it was actually fun to drive. Then came the family so I got a 2007 Sonata and it has served me well. V6. Plenty of passing power and roomy. My nephew just got the newer Elantra. They are are really pretty good cars. You should go drive one, see if it's for you.

Subaru is probably somewhat out of your price range, but if you can find a pre-2010 Legacy or Impreza, you'll get the Subaru build quality and AWD system without the godawful looks of the post-2010 models, at a cheaper price. Maybe you could even find a decent WRX, if your wife can handle the stick shift wink.gif

If you're looking at brand new cars, however, I'd actually suggest checking out Hyundai. They've come a long way in the last few years -- they went from making boring, ugly, cheap beaters to a fairly decent lineup of reliable and tolerable-looking cars. The 2012 Accent starts at around $12,500 and gets over 30mpg. As for American cars, I'd still be wary of GM products, but the new Ford Fiesta and Focus look really interesting.

Edited by fledgehog

What kind of price-range are you looking at?

Also, as someone with kids, sometimes a smaller car isn't very... practical. Think about how much stuff you think you'll be carting around when baby comes. You'll want a car with enough trunk space to comfortably fit a folded up stroller with some room to spare. Also, consider trips to the grocery store and Costco (if you go - which I highly suggest for diapers and wipes alone!). Be sure you're getting a car with enough interior space and large storage space in the trunk. If you travel to see friends and family, think about how much baby/toddler items you'll be taking. If you're going for a long stay, you'll most likely be packing a pack-n-play, a massive diaper bag or two, toys, etc... the older they get, the more items you will be packing.

One other thing, that I only realized after having kids is the fact that I was bending over a lot to get kids and carseats and a stroller out from the car. I was lifting a lot of heavy things and my back was always sore.

Any consideration into a small SUV?

Edited by Janie

Are you looking new or used? Late model used can usually save you some money and still come away with warranty.

The Kia compared to other models will have the ride and feel of a cheaper car and you will also lose a lot in the way of resale value should you not like it.

Sometimes it's worth it to spend the same money and go used with a higher quality car, depending on the deals and price you are looking for.

If you have serious car questions regarding price or specifics I'd be happy to help, shoot me a PM or email.

I have over 25 years in the business and access to the latest values etc.

Bear in mind that whatever car you buy will be baptized with barf and quite possibly other bodily fluids. Add to that spilled food and drink, melted crayons, etc. So I wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on a really upscale interior!

On the other hand, I generally hate leather (doesn't wear as well as a good quality fabric, for one), but it is easier to wipe off.

Maybe get something you can hose out like a Honda Element? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ May 10 2012, 01:11 PM)
On the other hand, I generally hate leather (doesn't wear as well as a good quality fabric, for one), but it is easier to wipe off.

This.

Again, with kids, trust me... you want to go with a leather interior. Much easier to clean messes. Plus, if baby gets sick (did I say, "if", I meant "when") the smell won't penetrate like it will with a fabric interior.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 10 2012, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 10 2012, 01:11 PM)

This.

Again, with kids, trust me... you want to go with a leather interior. Much easier to clean messes. Plus, if baby gets sick (did I say, "if", I meant "when") the smell won't penetrate like it will with a fabric interior.

yes.gif

Leather all the way... or fabric seats covered with the granny plastic works too z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 10 2012, 04:17 PM)

Most important - make sure it's Green and Gold.

What about black and gold?