Roadrunner records sold...

Rod in Toronto

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 27 2012, 11:11 AM)
not real knowledgeable about the way the record industry works, but where does Anthem play into all this?

Nowhere.

Anthem is it's own seperate entity whooly owned by it's partners.

Anthem is the bands Canadian record label and they handle their own distribution/promotion.

I mentioned this in one of the other threads but people need to understand this process has been in the works since '06 when WMG bought some 73% of RR stock.. the deal finalized in '10 when they bought the remaining stock.

It's not like RUSH was unaware of this... not to mention RUSH has been part of WMG since Presto.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/omg-2.jpg

Wait, what? Time/Warner does own Warner/Electra/Asylum. It's all one big ugly conglomerate.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 28 2012, 02:50 AM)
It's all one big ugly conglomerate.

This can be said of the whole recording industry. How many major labels are there now, two? Three?

This is why so many artists now have their own imprints and do a lot of the distribution themselves.

Rush could add more cartoony tunes to their instrumentals, kind of like Powerhouse in La Villa Strangiatto!

common001.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 27 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 27 2012, 11:11 AM)
not real knowledgeable about the way the record industry works, but where does Anthem play into all this?

Nowhere.

Anthem is it's own seperate entity whooly owned by it's partners.

Anthem is the bands Canadian record label and they handle their own distribution/promotion.

I mentioned this in one of the other threads but people need to understand this process has been in the works since '06 when WMG bought some 73% of RR stock.. the deal finalized in '10 when they bought the remaining stock.

It's not like RUSH was unaware of this... not to mention RUSH has been part of WMG since Presto.

So, in essence, they have already owned it for 6 years. Owning more than 50% of a company gives de facto control.

QUOTE (Blue J @ Apr 28 2012, 05:27 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 28 2012, 02:50 AM)
It's all one big ugly conglomerate.

This can be said of the whole recording industry. How many major labels are there now, two? Three?

This is why so many artists now have their own imprints and do a lot of the distribution themselves.

Indeed. And it's been so for awhile. When I was a buyer for Tower records, we had these major distributors: Capitol, Columbia/CBS, WEA and Polygram. Most labels were a subsidiary of one of these groups. I did see more small labels but only because I was the Shows/Soundtracks buyer.

I like that artists have their own labels. Probably makes it harder for the current crop of record store buyers, though laugh.gif