Queensryche

presto123

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 16 2012, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ May 16 2012, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ May 16 2012, 11:35 AM)
Considering all the nonsense the band is going through right now with Tate and his wife (cabaret show, shiprocked, etc.) , it's equivalent to whoring out the Queensryche name.

Shiprocked did have one redeeming item for Queensryche... Their entire set consisted of Mindcrime from beginning to end. No filler.

But, they're done! Tate should stick to his solo stuff and wine-tasting appearances and leave the band. He's said on countless occasions that he's not a fan of heavy music. Do everyone a favor!

Yeah...that's the thing that bothers me most.

I recall reading some interview (I'll have to find it) from around the release of Dedicated to Chaos, and Tate was essentially dismissing all their best stuff (Mindcrime and Rage to Order) as stuff that is dated and that he doesn't care for anymore.

I was like, WTF? Seriously...this guy has lost it. The album was further proof.

You know, as much as I love Tate's work, I HATE this outlook on his past work. It irritates the shit out of me.

I remember reading in the liner notes for O:M that Tate had gotten the idea for a concept when he was sitting in a basilica in Montreal or something (I can't remember the exact details). Having actually seen one of those basilicas in Montreal, I can understand how those can inspire. Sometimes it's not about how the record sounds dated. It's about the inspiring material and connection that it can bring for a lot of fans.

It's annoying. I like how he had told the story that he had been inspired by something like that. I know he's probably proud of Mindcrime and he did make a sequel 6 years ago and blah blah. But really, people want to hear inspired material and not songs called 'Got It Bad'.

Ugh... it's frustrating because I even look up to DeGarmo while I learn my guitar playing. He's insanely talented and I want to hear him composing songs again.

DeGarmo helped write a good portion of the Tribe record. I think it's a pretty good record but a lot of QR fans dog it. It's hard for QR to win these days. They deserve SOME criticism but not nearly as much as they get. I thought Tribe, Mindcrime 2, and American Soldier were pretty rockin respectable records. I can find a lot of the QR signature vibe there. People get pissed off just because they won't go back and try to recreate their classic records IMO.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 16 2012, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 16 2012, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 02:03 PM)
Considering all the nonsense the band is going through right now with Tate and his wife (cabaret show, shiprocked, etc.) , it's equivalent to whoring out the Queensryche name.

Shiprocked did have one redeeming item for Queensryche... Their entire set consisted of Mindcrime from beginning to end. No filler.

But, they're done! Tate should stick to his solo stuff and wine-tasting appearances and leave the band. He's said on countless occasions that he's not a fan of heavy music. Do everyone a favor!

I recall reading some interview (I'll have to find it) from around the release of Dedicated to Chaos, and Tate was essentially dismissing all their best stuff (Mindcrime and Rage to Order) as stuff that is dated and that he doesn't care for anymore.

You know, as much as I love Tate's work, I HATE this outlook on his past work. It irritates the shit out of me.

I remember reading in the liner notes for O:M that Tate had gotten the idea for a concept when he was sitting in a basilica in Montreal or something (I can't remember the exact details). Having actually seen one of those basilicas in Montreal, I can understand how those can inspire. Sometimes it's not about how the record sounds dated. It's about the inspiring material and connection that it can bring for a lot of fans.

It's annoying. I like how he had told the story that he had been inspired by something like that. I know he's probably proud of Mindcrime and he did make a sequel 6 years ago and blah blah. But really, people want to hear inspired material and not songs called 'Got It Bad'.

Ugh... it's frustrating because I even look up to DeGarmo while I learn my guitar playing. He's insanely talented and I want to hear him composing songs again.

DeGarmo helped write a good portion of the Tribe record. I think it's a pretty good record but a lot of QR fans dog it. It's hard for QR to win these days. They deserve SOME criticism but not nearly as much as they get. I thought Tribe, Mindcrime 2, and American Soldier were pretty rockin respectable records. I can find a lot of the QR signature vibe there. People get pissed off just because they won't go back and try to recreate their classic records IMO.

I like Tribe, although the production is pretty poor. Songs like Open, Blood, and The Great Divide are all great tracks. And again, I like OM:II and American Soldier. I thought they were solid in their own ways.

I just don't like Tate's view on what QR is trying to do. I have no problem with embracing a more modern sound. But I remember him saying that he didn't want QR to be seen as a "chugging metal band" when they were recording DTC, and I was just like, "Wtf is he talking about?"

From what I hear, they don't even play many songs off of Dedicated to Chaos at live shows aside from Get Started. In the past decade, they've played suites of their first three albums, played Mindcrime AND Mindcrime II in full, and last year played Rage For Order in full. I mean, I'm not trying to assume anything, but there must be a reason they're doing those kinds of things, and barely playing any newer material.

I don't know. I usually don't want bands to try to recapture a great sound, but in the case of QR, I just want to hear the inspiration again that brought such good songs. Again, I remember reading the liner notes in the remaster of Promised Land, about how the band took a hiatus after touring for Empire. Tate had said that the band could barely function together for a while, and didn't know if they'd ever record again. I know Promised Land isn't everyone's favourite album, but it sure as hell sounds a lot more inspired than the music they're coming up with today.

I just wish I could hear that kind of spark again.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 16 2012, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:03 PM)

I'm not sure I disagree with him, though. A lot of the early-early stuff is pretty dated. Mindcrime is pretty timeless. Empire, too. But the EP, Warning & Rage haven't aged perfectly well, IMO.

All art is dated.

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 17 2012, 11:16 AM)

I'm not sure I disagree with him, though. A lot of the early-early stuff is pretty dated. Mindcrime is pretty timeless. Empire, too. But the EP, Warning & Rage haven't aged perfectly well, IMO.

All art is dated.

Not necessarily. I'll bet you could play Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures for someone who has never heard any Rush music before, and they wouldn't guess they were recorded in 1979-1980. There's a lot of music like that.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 17 2012, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (staunchally @ May 17 2012, 11:16 AM)

All art is dated.

Not necessarily. I'll bet you could play Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures for someone who has never heard any Rush music before, and they wouldn't guess they were recorded in 1979-1980. There's a lot of music like that.

They sound like they were recorded in late'70's/early '80's. That's neither inherently good nor bad. "Sounds dated" is not a valid criticism. It's an observation passing for criticism. I don't like the particular sound/vibe of that era is what people are saying when something "hasn't aged well". What makes the present the ultimate arbiter of artistic worth anyway?

It is impossible to say that Rage for order has not aged well! Nothing as experimental within prog metal has been released since!

My favourite song are probably from Warning, Take Hold Of The Flame. 1022.gif

I'm cautiously optimistic, I suppose. The real test will be to see if Tate's vocals are missed. Like him or hate him, you can't say his vocals were not a big, big part of the overall Queensryche sound. I know this is supposed to be a totally separate band, but if they're billing it as "the core members of Queensryche", then they're inviting the comparison, IMO.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 29 2012, 02:34 PM)
I'm cautiously optimistic, I suppose. The real test will be to see if Tate's vocals are missed. Like him or hate him, you can't say his vocals were not a big, big part of the overall Queensryche sound. I know this is supposed to be a totally separate band, but if they're billing it as "the core members of Queensryche", then they're inviting the comparison, IMO.

Very true but with all the drama Tate and his bride have introduced to the band recently, it could be a welcome departure. I'm more interested in hearing the new stuff they put out than the cover versions.

Edited by tjtull

OMG! Tater done pushed them to the brink and over. Never thought this would happen. Wonder what the majority of the die hard fans think? Now the dilemma is when you make a new record do you make it sound like QR or something else? Scott wrote the best song on DTC(The Edge) and it sounds like classic QR. The potential is still there for a great record but if it happens it's a damn shame it can't have the QR name on it.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 29 2012, 02:59 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHICUMjG4oI&feature=relmfu

That is unreal. Does this guy sit at home practicing QR songs all day? I never thought Journey could ever find a replacement for Steve Perry and they did so you never know.(although I still like Perry better) Would Geddy Lee be the hardest to find a copy cat of? I've heard a few Rush cover bands and the vocals were pretty good but nobody has been able to nail down Geddy Lee that I have heard.