Jim Marshall passes

CygnusX-1Bk2

Not in the Gear section, where it belongs. smile.gif

I literally bought my first Marshall last week. It's still on police hold until the 22nd but I got a used Class 5 combo. I have always been more of a Fender amp guy (I have 4 various combos) but of course have always liked the Marshall tone.

In reading about "Dr." Marshall I found out that Pete Townsend is also directly responsible as he was the one, along with John Entwistle, who requested louder, dirtier sounding amps from Marshall. He first asked for the 50 watter then the 100 watt job that became the Plexi. Based their design from the Fender Bassman. Very cool stuff.

Marshall 1987 head into a 1960 cab no effects...all I would need. Well, I guess I would need a little over 2k to make that happen...

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Apr 6 2012, 01:13 PM)
I thought you owned one of everything? wink.gif

I was showing my wife a full stack combo and as joke I told her I was gonna buy it. To my shock, she said, "Cool."

Way, way too much for my needs. Hell, even the half stack is too much for me.

Well, technically I have TWO of everything. tongue.gif I have 6 amps (7 when I get the Marshall), 4 of which are Fenders. The "Marshalls" I have are virtual in the form of a POD, AmpFarm, PODFarm and the Amplitube stuff. That counts right...

I would also like to have a Vox amp too, more than likely an AC-15.

Yeah, a full stack would be a bit much. But a decent head with a 2 x12 cab would serve you well. smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 8 2012, 02:18 AM)
The "Marshalls" I have are virtual in the form of a POD, AmpFarm, PODFarm and the Amplitube stuff. That counts right...

No....no it doesn't. tongue.gif

I found this quote on the web today:

Motley Crue bass player Nikki Sixx also paid tribute on Twitter, saying Marshall was "responsible for some of the greatest audio moments in music's history - and 50% responsible of all our hearing loss."

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 6 2012, 02:20 PM)
The Marshall Stack is synonymous with rock... he'll live on forever. Im trying to find a pic f the Judas Priest setup wihere the damn stage was nothing but a wall of those babies...

Here's what they don't want you to see.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/Perchance/fake-stacks.jpg

Take a close look at those "stacks".

wacko.gif

laugh.gif

Nice!

Whoever that is, it is hardly the first time though. KISS did it before they were big. Van Halen had a gigantic wall in the 80s that probably looked like this from behind as well.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Apr 9 2012, 09:32 PM)
Nice!

Whoever that is, it is hardly the first time though. KISS did it before they were big. Van Halen had a gigantic wall in the 80s that probably looked like this from behind as well.

How about this?

This is what I was looking for ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAjVQLLkAl8&feature=related

Please note how the Marshalls were *part* of the show!

Maybe it was all window dressing sad.gif

Yeah, I doubt those cabs have anything in them the way they fly open like that. They at least have handles on the sides of the speaker cabs.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 14 2012, 01:41 PM)
http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/marshall_amp_fridge.jpg

http://www.booshben.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fake-marshall21.jpg

Very nice! The Budweiser is total shit, but hey.....

1022.gif

Wondering if the wife would mind having that somewhere visible.....

A buddy of mine emailed me the link to buy one of those fridges a couple weeks ago. It would be great for a rehearsal space. I wonder how it sounds though... tongue.gif