Possible Headlong Flight Lyrics?

Nate1647

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 5 2012, 02:45 PM)
after you mix 70's, 80's, bastille day, some 90's, sort of like caravan, sort of vapor trailsy, don't forget to add a splash of vodka and a lemon twist.

Lets just say it sounds like 2.gif an leave it at that! The fast Neil drum fills has me speculating though! but the comparison to VT has me:

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y

Is this guy insane? Hemispheres had possibly one of the most polished, wet, chorus, reverb driven guitar sounds in any RUSH album. What is this guy: cool10.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:52 PM)

Is this guy insane? Hemispheres had possibly one of the most polished, wet, chorus, reverb driven guitar sounds in any RUSH album. What is this guy: cool10.gif

Huh? Polished would be Power Windows. Those guitars are about as clean as it gets. Hemispheres has more of a 70s sound to it, a little rough around the edges, purposefully. Where do you hear polish in there?

Counterparts also has a polished clean guitar sound. Hemispheres they sound a little messy, and thats how a lot of 70s guitars were.

Edited by trenken

If you want a good polished sound, look no further than Vapor Trails, especially "Secret Touch". biggrin.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 02:52 PM)

That's another one of those words that just doesn't mean anything to me so I'm not worried about it. Raw/polished/over-produced/ etc. just mean different things to different people. And there's a huge difference between the sound of the actual instruments vs. the actual reproduction of the sound on record. On Counterparts for instance the instrument sounds were intentionally rough, and had almost a "blown out" sound to their amplification but the actual production of the record is silky-smooth and polished sounding the way I hear it. On the other hand I hear Vapor Trails described as "over-produced" all the time where to me it sounds like exactly the opposite, it sounds like a raw and completely un-produced album, more like a demo, which it basically is by their own words.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 02:52 PM)

That's another one of those words that just doesn't mean anything to me so I'm not worried about it. Raw/polished/over-produced/ etc. just mean different things to different people. And there's a huge difference between the sound of the actual instruments vs. the actual reproduction of the sound on record. On Counterparts for instance the instrument sounds were intentionally rough, and had almost a "blown out" sound to their amplification but the actual production of the record is silky-smooth and polished sounding the way I hear it. On the other hand I hear Vapor Trails described as "over-produced" all the time where to me it sounds like exactly the opposite, it sounds like a raw and completely un-produced album, more like a demo, which it basically is by their own words.

Yeah....I remember Geddy saying he actually used a broken amp or something on Animate. Silky smooth production thanks to Caveman Shirley. Just the drum sound he got was phenominal.

I've heard the new song and it sounds great! I'd say more, but I'm not allowed to tell. Let's just say it like a "force X" to be dealt with.

Since I'm in the documentary, I had the privilege of being chosen to hear it.

Edited by circumstantial tree

Well, all I know is that while it's fun to read what people think of it since that's all we have for now I'm just not making any assumptions based on what I've read. If it's a great song but I don't think it sounds anything like what we've been told then that's perfectly fine with me, it'll still be a great song. But I'm a little concerned that some fans may have created in their heads some sort of fantasy song based on all the labels and comparisons we've seen and when combined with the wait to hear it it's going to lead to disappointment even if it's a really great song, there's going to be a backlash.

If we heard the song in a vacuum with no preconceptions and not knowing when we'd hear it it would be a much fairer evaluation. As it is a lot of people who may in that situation have gone "Wow, this is so cool!" are now going to be saying "Yeah, I guess it's ok but I just thought it would be a lot better based on what we've heard." That'll be unfortunate but inevitable I'm afraid.

I'm sure it'll sound closest to Caravan which could be fairly described in the same way. "It's longer than average and has moody atmospheric keyboard bits. It's got a lot of stop/start heavy riffs and a long instrumental section with great drum fills and athletic bass playing and a fast, quirky Lifeson solo. And it's part of a sci-fi suite." Now, I think Caravan is great and that description is perfectly accurate. But those words alone would excite many Rush fans who in reality don't care much for the song at all. That's why this is meaningless.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 04:44 PM)
Well, all I know is that while it's fun to read what people think of it since that's all we have for now I'm just not making any assumptions based on what I've read. If it's a great song but I don't think it sounds anything like what we've been told then that's perfectly fine with me, it'll still be a great song. But I'm a little concerned that some fans may have created in their heads some sort of fantasy song based on all the labels and comparisons we've seen and when combined with the wait to hear it it's going to lead to disappointment even if it's a really great song, there's going to be a backlash.

If we heard the song in a vacuum with no preconceptions and not knowing when we'd hear it it would be a much fairer evaluation. As it is a lot of people who may in that situation have gone "Wow, this is so cool!" are now going to be saying "Yeah, I guess it's ok but I just thought it would be a lot better based on what we've heard." That'll be unfortunate but inevitable I'm afraid.

I'm sure it'll sound closest to Caravan which could be fairly described in the same way. "It's longer than average and has moody atmospheric keyboard bits. It's got a lot of stop/start heavy riffs and a long instrumental section with great drum fills and athletic bass playing and a fast, quirky Lifeson solo. And it's part of a sci-fi suite." Now, I think Caravan is great and that description is perfectly accurate. But those words alone would excite many Rush fans who in reality don't care much for the song at all. That's why this is meaningless.

yep yep

I remember back in 85, a freind of mine saw "The Big Money" video before I even heard the song and told me that it was "a return to heavy Rush - and Alex is growing out his hair again"

Uhm, no... lol

It is fun to speculate - but the bottom line is that the new tune is going to sound like it belongs on the same album as Caravan and BU2B - that we can all agree on. But the myriad of personlized descriptions are irrellavent and some are outright silly - particularly the "80-91 in a blender" comment.

As I've said before - any Rush fan worth their salt would never really describe their work in such a way - as it makes no real sense.

Headlong Flight

Bound to the earth in a headlong flight,

Toward a city I do not know,

Winding through the void of night

With stars above and fire below

Beneath my feet a rumbling shell,

Deeper still a molten hell,

The souls within its blighting breath,

Are charred into a shriveled death.

I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels

Navigate through celestial fields

What is the fate to which I fly?

What does it mean to live and die?

A perilous path on which I tread

The Watchmaker casts unnumbered dead

Into the stream that sweeps them on

A mystery still where they have gone

Some days were dark, some nights were bright

I wish that I could live it all again

user posted image

Edited by anchorman

Wow, some of the descriptions of the song from the people who've heard it get me excited and some fill me with dread, sometimes both reactions from one person's description! I gotta stop paying attention to all that and hear it for myself. It sounds like 10 people have described 10 different songs. Calgon, take me away! wacko.gif

I found it on the interweb. It's been a few days but it was a google search on steampunk clocks. There were some others that were fantastic.

I hope everyone realizes this is all in good fun. IF I ever had the real deal, I'd say so and post it here with proper credits.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2012, 05:45 PM)
Wow, some of the descriptions of the song from the people who've heard it get me excited and some fill me with dread, sometimes both reactions from one person's description!  I gotta stop paying attention to all that and hear it for myself.  It sounds like 10 people have described 10 different songs.  Calgon, take me away!  wacko.gif

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/calgon-1.jpg

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 5 2012, 05:49 PM)
Props to you brother... thats a very nice adaptation of his verse.
Took me a minute to remember where I had seen it but it hit a nerve right away.

Nice catch. I was wondering why the last two lines felt out of place after one readthrough. Then I read the real one, thought Neil plagerized and realized Neil's lines felt weak ohmy.gif Then...

Bad anchorman dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 5 2012, 06:04 PM)

Nice catch. I was wondering why the last two lines felt out of place after one readthrough. Then I read the real one, thought Neil plagerized and realized Neil's lines felt weak ohmy.gif Then...

confused13.gif Who me ? I'm just a fan with WAY too much hands on his time. Wishing April 11 was yesterday.

How bad is it ? I'll be writing my own damn song pretty soon if they don't release theirs. Of course I won't post it here. I'll just make everybody wait and wait some more.... tongue.gif

QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 5 2012, 07:54 PM)

confused13.gif Who me ? I'm just a fan with WAY too much hands on his time. Wishing April 11 was yesterday.

How bad is it ? I'll be writing my own damn song pretty soon if they don't release theirs. Of course I won't post it here. I'll just make everybody wait and wait some more.... tongue.gif

let me have first listen and i'll guarantee you a great review.

blazing guitar licks, mind blowing drum fills, super smooth bass lines and sounds like a combination of 2112, hemispheres, with just a touch of g/p and mp. tongue.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 5 2012, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 5 2012, 07:54 PM)

let me have first listen and i'll guarantee you a great review.

blazing guitar licks, mind blowing drum fills, super smooth bass lines and sounds like a combination of 2112, hemispheres, with just a touch of g/p and mp. tongue.gif

applaudit.gif Done ! I'm including a bonus track.