billing mistake?

tel

Not a Mistake . As much as they suck Donkey Balls, G&R are a bigger band. Thin Lizzy opened for Black Label Society in the u.s. because they [ BLS] are a bigger band . This has been going on Forever

Guns n Roses has always and will always be bigger than Thin Lizzy, I don't even get the praise for Lizzy myself. I've tried to get into them and they sound like nothing but an average run of the mill 70s hard rock band to me.

GnR still sell out arenas all over the world and still get the shit played out of their hits on the radio. Lizzy can barely handle a selling out a club in most cases at this point.

It's always about who sells and not who's better. Look at last years Mayhem fest here in the US. Megadeth was third on the billing and played before Godsmack and Disturbed. Now Megadeth easliy blows those two bands away but they can't sell enough to fill and amphitheater while Godsmack and Disturbed still can. So, Megadeth gets lower on the bill.

When was the last time Lizzy sold out an arena on their own? When Phil was still alive?

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 25 2012, 03:52 PM)
When was the last time Lizzy sold out an arena on their own? When Phil was still alive?

Never happened in America . They were a Theater band , fu*kin sad , but that's what they were.

I know for some people this is heresy, but I THINK TL is one of the most overrated bands of all time. I've tried several times to get into them because lots of bands I love love them. It just doesn't take.

While we're at it, although their time is well past, when GNR were on, between say 1987 and 1991, they were as good as any band around.

Count the number of hit songs Thin Lizzy had, then count the number of hit songs that GNR had. Then tally up the album sales for both bands. Then poke around and see who most people consider more influential. Lastly, if you've got some spare time, ask some random people on the street if they've ever heard of Thin Lizzy, then ask if they've ever heard of Guns N' Roses.

Then you'll have your answer why GNR is headlining and Thin Lizzy is not.

I'll make it super easy: Thin Lizzy had one lone album that sold Gold in the US, peaking at #18 on the charts in 1976. They had two charting singles, peaking at #12 and #77, again, in 1976. Like them or not, GNR has had each of their six studio albums go platinum or better and each has peaked at #4 or better on the charts. 45 million albums sold in the US alone, 100 million worldwide.

You might as well be complaining that Right Said Fred is opening for U2 instead of the other way around tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 26 2012, 10:23 AM)
Count the number of hit songs Thin Lizzy had, then count the number of hit songs that GNR had. Then tally up the album sales for both bands. Then poke around and see who most people consider more influential. Lastly, if you've got some spare time, ask some random people on the street if they've ever heard of Thin Lizzy, then ask if they've ever heard of Guns N' Roses.

I'll make it super easy: Thin Lizzy had one lone album that sold Gold in the US, peaking at #18 on the charts in 1976. They had two charting singles, peaking at #12 and #77, again, in 1976. Like them or not, GNR has had each of their six studio albums go platinum or better and each has peaked at #4 or better on the charts. 45 million albums sold in the US alone, 100 million worldwide.

You might as well be complaining that Right Said Fred is opening for U2 instead of the other way around tongue.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 26 2012, 09:23 AM)

In the states? who mentioned "in the states"? if you read my op carefully you will notice this is a uk tour where thin lizzy are massively more popular and widely heard of.

Thin lizzy studio albums=15

Thin lizzy hit records= 14

guns n roses studio albums =6

guns n roses hit records= 2

as for influential....YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! ....lizzy influenced millions of bands in britain (the home and birthplace of heavy rock) including that bloke with the daft hat,erm...slash.

come,come daniel! do try to keep up! moon.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 25 2012, 04:54 PM)

Never happened in America . They were a Theater band , fu*kin sad , but that's what they were.

Correct! but this isnt america. no.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Mar 26 2012, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 25 2012, 04:54 PM)

Correct! but this isnt america. no.gif

I know , that's why i said America wink.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Mar 26 2012, 01:04 PM)

In the states? who mentioned "in the states"? if you read my op carefully you will notice this is a uk tour where thin lizzy are massively more popular and widely heard of.

as for influential....YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! ....lizzy influenced millions of bands in britain (the home and birthplace of heavy rock) including that bloke with the daft hat,erm...slash.

UK - my bad. But even in that context, GNR is still more massive than Thin Lizzy. Your numbers are way off. True they put out 15 studio albums, the first 4 failed to chart at all, and the fifth hit #60. They had a #10 with Jailbreak and four of the next six hit the top ten. Five top ten albums in all. That's great, but in terms of record sales, there's four Gold and two Silver. That's less than 5 million altogether. Another million for their Platinum live album from '78.

Guns N' Roses did over 6 million in sales of their 6 studio albums in the UK and had no albums that didn't chart. Only GNR Lies didn't crack the Top Five in the UK, but still reached Gold status. Five albums in the Top Five. But they had a Greatest Hits package that moved 3 million units in the UK, and that says a lot. There are about 40 Thin Lizzy compilations listed on Wikipedia, but they don't have sales information... I'd wager not one came close to 3 million, though.

I'm NOT saying that Thin Lizzy sucks. I like some of their material. I just don't think it's quite the travesty that some are making it out to be that they are opening for the more successful Guns N' Roses (and I frickin' hate Guns N' Roses, so I'm not defending them, either). So my joke about Right Said Fred is inaccurate in the UK market tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 26 2012, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Mar 26 2012, 01:04 PM)

UK - my bad. But even in that context, GNR is still more massive than Thin Lizzy. Your numbers are way off. True they put out 15 studio albums, the first 4 failed to chart at all, and the fifth hit #60. They had a #10 with Jailbreak and four of the next six hit the top ten. Five top ten albums in all. That's great, but in terms of record sales, there's four Gold and two Silver. That's less than 5 million altogether. Another million for their Platinum live album from '78.

Guns N' Roses did over 6 million in sales of their 6 studio albums in the UK and had no albums that didn't chart. Only GNR Lies didn't crack the Top Five in the UK, but still reached Gold status. Five albums in the Top Five. But they had a Greatest Hits package that moved 3 million units in the UK, and that says a lot. There are about 40 Thin Lizzy compilations listed on Wikipedia, but they don't have sales information... I'd wager not one came close to 3 million, though.

I'm NOT saying that Thin Lizzy sucks. I like some of their material. I just don't think it's quite the travesty that some are making it out to be that they are opening for the more successful Guns N' Roses (and I frickin' hate Guns N' Roses, so I'm not defending them, either). So my joke about Right Said Fred is inaccurate in the UK market tongue.gif

Kudos for the research,i cant be bothered checking your stats but i bow to your persistence.

On a closing note,thin lizzy have been making great music spanning 5 decades,phil lynott was one of rocks most charismatic frontmen,they introduced the idea of twin leads and released what is widely considered one of the best live albums ever.

To see them supporting anybody never mind g&r is indeed a travesty.

RIP PHIL LYNOTT (HE'LL BE TURNING IN HIS GRAVE) rose.gif