The Official Anathema Thread

adace1

Only recently got into them as they are in the KSCOPE Label along with PT, Blackfield etc.

Really like them.

Checking out their back catalogue although not sure about the Doom Metal stuff...not my cup of tea (as they say in old blighty !)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 5 2012, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2012, 08:24 AM)
I notice Hatchet Pete never posts in this thread, could it be that he doesn't like the band?  unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

Finally got around to listening to the new one, Weather Systems, so far so good.

They have become a prog Coldplay, the duck quacked correctly.

But that's ok with me. I like Coldplay.

A friend recently turned me on to "We're Here Because We're Here"

Incredible.

I heard the new one isn't as great - too atmospheric, if that's possible. I can deal with mellow, but I prefer dynamics and, as a drummer, I like drums! :0 Which disc next?

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jul 9 2012, 11:49 PM)
A friend recently turned me on to "We're Here Because We're Here"

Incredible.

I heard the new one isn't as great - too atmospheric, if that's possible.  I can deal with mellow, but I prefer dynamics and, as a drummer, I like drums!  :0  Which disc next?

The new album Weather Systems is just as great as WHBWH IMO. A lot of the songs of WS were written during the writing sessions for WHBWH but they were excluded from the album because they didn't want it to be too long. So Weather Systems is essentially part 2 of We're Here Because We're Here. I'd check out Weather Systems next, for that reason. It is pretty atmospheric but its not boring and there's diversity (The Storm Before The Calm has an electronic opening, an orchestra and a piano are featured on The Lost Child, and The Beginning and The End builds upon one riff - starting with piano and adding guitars, & there's more female vocals).

If you don't want to get Weather Systems then get A Fine Day To Exit. It may take longer to get into it but its worth listening to. Its more electric than their new stuff so it may be up your alley.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 18 2012, 06:59 AM)
I got the 3 pack of Judgement/A Fine Day To Exit/A Natural Disaster recently.

Fabulous. Loving these far more than the 2 most recent albums, as good as they are.

Jeeez, really? The last two are light years beyond. Nat Disaster is okish. Oh well.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 17 2012, 02:59 PM)

Fabulous. Loving these far more than the 2 most recent albums, as good as they are.

I love those 3 albums but WHBWH and WS are my 2 favorites.

A Fine Day To Exit is extremely underrated.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 17 2012, 01:59 PM)

Whaaat?! There's a 3-pack? I want these albums too, but I can't find them here sad.gif

I couldn't even find Weather Systems. All we have here is WHBWH.

Really enjoying WHBWH, and WS... I'd like to get more..

Where is the cutoff point from the gloom metal sound to the prog sound? I heard a few tracks off the first couple of records and didn't dig the doom stuff too much... at what point did they change their style?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 29 2012, 05:33 AM)
Really enjoying WHBWH, and WS... I'd like to get more..

Where is the cutoff point from the gloom metal sound to the prog sound?  I heard a few tracks off the first couple of records and didn't dig the doom stuff too much... at what point did they change their style?

The doom stuff is as dull as dishwater compared to their prog side. Most definitely pick up A Natural Disaster as well (although not quite as accomplished as the last two albums). All previous albums fell way short in comparison to AND but still probably worth checking out trink38.gif

Saw them in Dublin last week, supporting Opeth. They were superb. Really energetic, the Opeth crowd were well up for it. Vincent & Daniel really got the crowd going.

45 minutes of magic:

Slightly different running order at the Rock City gig in Nottingham but same intensity and magic . Really enjoyed seeing them for the first time and fortunate to be couple rows backs from the stage.

Just wasnt long enough but I guess they were the support band. Has definately whetted my appetite to see them again ( hopefully doing a full set )

Managed to shake hands with Daniel during Opeths set (he came into the crowd to watch part of it)Seemed a really nicely chap to boot.

large3650.jpg

In May 2012 Anathema released Weather Systems, the most successful album of the band's two decade plus career.

Scoring high in end of year polls around the world, the album cemented Anathema's reputation as one of the most interesting bands of recent times.

Following the release of the album, the band embarked on a lengthy world tour.

The European part of the tour opened with a special one-off gig at the ancient Roman theatre of Philippopolis where the band were joined by the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra.

Untouchable captures the magic of this unique evening.

Available on double heavyweight vinyl packaged in a gatefold sleeve with printed inner sleeves.

Pre-order now for 24th June release date.

Please note, an audio visual cd/dvd version of the concert will be available in August, 2013.

Side 1:

1. Untouchable Part 1

2. Untouchable Part 2

3. Thin Air

Side 2:

1. Dreaming Light

2. Everything

3. The Storm Before The Calm

Side 3:

1. A Simple Mistake

2. The Beginning And The End

3. Universal

Side 4:

1. Closer

2. A Natural Disaster

3. Flying

https://www.burnings...oduct/272/4729/

I'm glad that there's finally news on this but I think I'm going to wait for the CD & DVD, since I'd probably only listen to the vinyl once or twice.