Who the heck is ...

wilb1972

So I put in my copy of the Fly by Night album in my computer and just realized that the song Fly by Night is credited to Dave Grusin/Geddy Lee/Neil Peart ... Who the heck is Dave Grusin??? confused13.gif Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Dec 31 2011, 04:36 PM)
So I put in my copy of the Fly by Night album in my computer and just realized that the song Fly by Night is credited to Dave Grusin/Geddy Lee/Neil Peart ... Who the heck is Dave Grusin??? confused13.gif

He wrote the soundtrack to the film "The Graduate".

I love Grusin. He's done a lot of soundtrack work: On Golden Pond, Tootsie, theme from the show St. Elsewhere, etc.

Rush connection? I didn't know one existed. Seems the only "connection" is that Grusin ALSO has a song called "Fly by Night," very different from the Rush song of the same name.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Dave Grusin is an incredible composer and artist, The On Golden Pond album is fantastic if you want a relaxing cd to chill to. Amazing!

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jan 2 2012, 03:15 AM)
Weird ... I wonder if its only on certain copies?? Mine is the 97 remaster of Fly by Night.

I must admit it is a bit strange. And I have the 97 remaster too.

I must admit it is a bit strange. And I have the 97 remaster too.

confused13.gif Gets stranger and stranger to me -- you know I wonder how they would get Grusin's name in the writing credits for a Rush album? I mean, its an interesting coincidence that both have tracks called Fly by Night? Did someone (wherever this is done) get their information confused when they were inputing it onto the disc?? Or is it a joke? Oh well.

This reminds me of an incident several years back I was perusing the CDs in a WalMart and they had a classic rock compilation (the name of which eludes me at the moment) and it had Fly by Night on it. The songwriting credits were listed below each title and below FBN it had Weinrib / Peart, which I thought was rather humorous. Wonder how many fans thought, who is Weinrib? wink.gif

Well if Grusin has a song by the same title is it possible your media player is going on line to find the album info and just pulling up the wrong thing?

I suppose that is possible... Anyhoo -- it was just an odd thing that I was hoping some of my fellow Rush-heads could sort out for me! Thanks for indulging me! smile.gif

Just researched Dave Grusin. It appears that there was an album called Captain Fingers - (this album was written by Lee Mack Ritenour) in 1977. Anyway, track 3 shows a title called Fly By Night, written by Dave Grusin.

Well if Grusin has a song by the same title is it possible your media player is going on line to find the album info and just pulling up the wrong thing?

I guess I just assumed that stuff was encoded onto the disc?