More Rush coming to Rock Band Next Week

USB Connector

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 14 2011, 08:45 AM)
I downloaded them last night and gave each one a spin.

Awesome stuff!

I too have no idea where that version of TSOR came from? But it doesn't sound recent, does it? Ged's voice doesn't sound like it does now, I don't think.

If I'm not mistaken, "The Trees" is the same way - not really live, but a slightly different version. I could be wrong though. I can't remember if "The Trees" was DLC or if it came with one of the RB packages.

Clem

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 14 2011, 07:45 AM)

Awesome stuff!

I too have no idea where that version of TSOR came from? But it doesn't sound recent, does it? Ged's voice doesn't sound like it does now, I don't think.

Where?????

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 14 2011, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 14 2011, 07:45 AM)

Awesome stuff!

Where?????

Where did I download them?

I downloaded it from the Playstation Store. It's the 'Rush 1 Pack' from the Rock Band 3 Downloadable Content.

QUOTE (clem @ Dec 13 2011, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Dec 13 2011, 07:06 PM)
TSOR (Live), Fly By Night, and Caravan are out now for Rock Band.  Very fun to play.

I am wildly curious about the source of the live TSOR.  On the Rock Band forum, the developers said they didn't know when it was recorded.  And the Rock Band store lists it as "unreleased 1980."  I wonder if it's actually from the Permanent Waves tour.

It sounds very similar to the studio version to me - with some slight differences. I'm wondering if it's an outtake. It's definitely not from a recent show or any of the live albums.

Clem

I have no doubt that it's a different version. It's DEFINITELY not live. It might be a matrix of Live Alex and Studio Geddy and Neil.

I'll shed some light on the TSoR mystery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_Radio

In the article, it says this: "An unreleased live version of the song is featured in the video game Guitar Hero 5. This version is taken from a live performance at the Apollo in Manchester, England on June 17, 1980, on the Permanent Waves Tour."

Since the version RB3 got is pretty much the exact same one from GH5, I'll have to take Wiki's word for it. Perhaps someone with a boot of that show can confirm it for us?

Anyway, AWESOME pack. biggrin.gif All the songs were awesome to play on drums and vocals. I have yet to play them on Guitar/Bass/Keyboards but I'm sure they're just as awesome on those (maybe not as much on keys on TSoR but meh).

QUOTE (Synth Sense @ Dec 14 2011, 03:46 PM)

In the article, it says this: "An unreleased live version of the song is featured in the video game Guitar Hero 5. This version is taken from a live performance at the Apollo in Manchester, England on June 17, 1980, on the Permanent Waves Tour."

Since the version RB3 got is pretty much the exact same one from GH5, I'll have to take Wiki's word for it. Perhaps someone with a boot of that show can confirm it for us?

Anyway, AWESOME pack. biggrin.gif All the songs were awesome to play on drums and vocals. I have yet to play them on Guitar/Bass/Keyboards but I'm sure they're just as awesome on those (maybe not as much on keys on TSoR but meh).

That could be a ploy.

Nothing about it sounds live at all. Even most soundboards SOUND live.

This sounds completely studio.

Not only that, but the fake crowd at the beginning sounds fake.

It's DEFINITELY live.

If you're referring to this video about the fake crowd:

That's cause GH/RB have fake crowd audio playing on all of the songs. Most of the time they're louder than crowds from live recordings if the song being played is a live version.

I just played them all back to back. I don't like this version of TSOR, it's just flat out bad. Geddy sounds like he just doesn't care and the guitar has too much wah to it. Fly by Night and Caravan are fun to play.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 15 2011, 04:43 PM)
My son is currently #1 on Expert drums for Caravan (Wii version)

I am #15 for Bass smile.gif

Well "I" was the FIRST number one on Wii drums cool.gif

He must have beaten my record biggrin.gif

I rarely play on expert. I mostly play on "hard". ESPECIALLY on Rush songs!

Clem

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Dec 14 2011, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Synth Sense @ Dec 14 2011, 03:46 PM)

That could be a ploy.

Nothing about it sounds live at all. Even most soundboards SOUND live.

This sounds completely studio.

Not only that, but the fake crowd at the beginning sounds fake.

The whole idea of a 'soundboard' is that all of the inputs are isolated, and therefore the audience mix can be removed and each instrument can be separated out.

It is rumored that Rush has recorded all of their concerts off the soundboard for their own personal use, so it is not beyond the realm of possibility that this recording exists in decent shape with the bass/guitar/drum/vocal/keyboard tracks intact separately.

I have no idea if the Wiki article is true, but it seems that the only known bootleg of this show (ref: Digital Rush Experience) is a crappy audience recording that probably most people have never heard (I have a shit-ton of bootlegs, and this ain't one of them). It would be cool to know that Rush has a good copy of this show, and has released it for public consumption in this format!

There is a bootleg on Dime for the second Manchester show from this tour, and I'll try to grab a copy of that, just to see if it's even close to this version....but it would be cool if someone with access could shed some light on the first Manchester show (Ron2112, et.al, I'm looking at you!)

But anyway......I've had a pile of fun playing Caravan on Rockband tonight! This game makes me realize parts of the song that I never realized before!

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

Yep the Wiki article is true....it was SRO/Anthem who confirmed that it is indeed live from the June 17 1980 show in Manchester. This source is coming from Power Windows.

Rush In "Guitar Hero 5" - Details Of Live Recording Confirmed
Guitar Hero 5 was released September 1st, with 85 songs by 83 artists, including a previously unreleased live version of "The Spirit Of Radio"

We have confirmed with SRO/Anthem that this recording was taken from an unreleased live performance in Manchester on June 17, 1980 on the Permanent Waves Tour (Producer Terry Brown, Engineer Andy Rose, mobile truck recorder- Mobile studio LONDON). Unfortunately, there are no plans at this time for a live album release of the complete Manchester show, but anything can happen...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 16 2011, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 16 2011, 08:32 AM)
WHERE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? ph34r.gif

LOL...where what?? confused13.gif

On the Rock Band music store? confused13.gif