Prog rock singers...

Akron162

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 27 2011, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Nov 27 2011, 02:54 PM)
Geoff Tate, until about 10 years ago anyway.

Till he went insane and became desperate for pop super-stardom and respect from the trend-setting jet set...

common001.gif <<<< Geoff

yes.gif Sad, but true!

Peter hammill, but almost anyone listed on here is really good. Perhaps this is a controversial choice but Maynard James Keenan kicks ass.

Also, the only on the first album, Cedric Bixler Zavala from the Mars Volta. I love those wails and the emotion in his voice, the hectic stuff going on. On the other albums his voice goes through so many machines they should've become just an instrumental band although the lyrics are interesting tongue.gif

Oh and when Mikael Akerfeldt is not growling (even though I like the growl and he's awesome at it) he has a lovely voice.

And I have to mention Annie Haslam again, beautiful voice.

Finally, pseudo-prog...Freddy Mercury wub.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 27 2011, 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 26 2011, 11:11 PM)
Ian McDonald (On In the Court...)

he was so good that he became greg lake.

facepalm.gif Wow, I can't believe I just did that...

And In the Court was one of the reasons I listed Greg Lake in the first place.

doh.gif facepalm.gif

I'm not going to take the time to look up the names of the singers, but the following 70's prog bands have singers with GREAT voices:

Quebec:

Harmonium

Italy:

PFM

Le Orme

Area

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

France:

Ange

That's just in addition to some of the GREAT singers already mentioned.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 27 2011, 09:26 PM)
Also, the only on the first album, Cedric Bixler Zavala from the Mars Volta. I love those wails and the emotion in his voice, the hectic stuff going on. On the other albums his voice goes through so many machines they should've become just an instrumental band although the lyrics are interesting tongue.gif

The vocals completely ruin The Mars Volta for me - painful listening. A shame too, as they'd be great as instrumentalists (or with a different singer!)

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 28 2011, 12:35 AM)
I'm not going to take the time to look up the names of the singers, but the following 70's prog bands have singers with GREAT voices:

Quebec:
Harmonium

Italy:
PFM
Le Orme
Area
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

France:
Ange

That's just in addition to some of the GREAT singers already mentioned.

Hey, I wonder if Goobs likes Opeth sans growl...go check out the Heritage album by Opeth...it's part of a trio with Grace for Drowning and an upcoming album. It sounds like Anglagard at parts smile.gif and there is great singing, no growls!

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 28 2011, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 27 2011, 09:26 PM)
Also, the only on the first album, Cedric Bixler Zavala from the Mars Volta. I love those wails and the emotion in his voice, the hectic stuff going on. On the other albums his voice goes through so many machines they should've become just an instrumental band although the lyrics are interesting  tongue.gif

The vocals completely ruin The Mars Volta for me - painful listening. A shame too, as they'd be great as instrumentalists (or with a different singer!)

Hehe well I love the vocals on the first album and I have to admit most of the others suck, especially on The Bedlam in Goliath...almost ruined the album for me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 28 2011, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 27 2011, 09:26 PM)
Also, the only on the first album, Cedric Bixler Zavala from the Mars Volta. I love those wails and the emotion in his voice, the hectic stuff going on. On the other albums his voice goes through so many machines they should've become just an instrumental band although the lyrics are interesting  tongue.gif

The Mars Volta would be one of my favorite bands if it wasn't for the singer. I still like them a lot but I can't listen to them on a regular basis.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 29 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 28 2011, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 28 2011, 05:40 AM)
Also, Robert Wyatt is a good singer,but that may just be me.

Marvellous.

Thank you smile.gif

I love him too. Rock Bottom is one of the top 20 albums of all time.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 29 2011, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 29 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 28 2011, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 28 2011, 05:40 AM)
Also, Robert Wyatt is a good singer,but that may just be me.

Marvellous.

Thank you smile.gif

I love him too. Rock Bottom is one of the top 20 albums of all time.

The way he just delivers those wails, cries...whatever they are at the end of sea song...wow...