SIGNIFICANT Box-set discovery

Tonyvenn01

Greetings all!

Alright...I checked around the forum to be sure this hasn't already been mentioned and I couldn't find anything.

I THINK I found something VERY significant in the Sectors box set.

If you have box 3, pull out "Power Windows" and listen to "Mystic Rhythms".

Now...like most fans here, I've heard that song easily, 100 times a year since its 1986 release. Conservatively, like most here, I heard that song over 1,000 times at least.

So often...that you can sing along with the drum part, keyboards or whatever.

I decided to listen to PW when I bought the box sets because it's one of my favorites. Mystic Rhythms is still one of my favorite tunes.

Imagine my shock and awe when I discovered about FIVE SECONDS OF RESTORED MUSIC to the outro of Mystic Rhythms.

I've owned that album on vinyl, on cassette and CD. This is NEW.

Cue up the final verse, with the last line "We feel the push and pull"....then just listen.

Around the 4:54 mark (going from memory here) there is a RESTORED keyboard fill adding about 4 or 5 seconds. It is a full that consists of 3 descending chime-like notes. It then goes into the outro keyboard fills we're all familiar with.

Make no mistake. This in NOT a case where it is more pronounced, and it was "lost in the mix" all these years. It is NEW.

Compare with the earlier recorded versions, even the video and live versions....

This is NEW. I would guess this was the ORIGINAL version and a slight edit was performed for programming purposes, or perhaps the fact it was destined to be a single.

Who knows...but it IS there.

If you have Sector 3....listen to it. It's like a little Easter Egg on CD!

Restored INDEED!!!!!

:-)

Tony

QUOTE (tonyvenn @ Nov 26 2011, 10:56 AM)
Greetings all!

Alright...I checked around the forum to be sure this hasn't already been mentioned and I couldn't find anything.

Now...like most fans here, I've heard that song easily, 100 times a year since its 1986 release. Conservatively, like most here, I heard that song over 1,000 times at least.

I decided to listen to PW when I bought the box sets because it's one of my favorites. Mystic Rhythms is still one of my favorite tunes.

Imagine my shock and awe when I discovered about FIVE SECONDS OF RESTORED MUSIC to the outro of Mystic Rhythms.

Cue up the final verse, with the last line "We feel the push and pull"....then just listen.
Around the 4:54 mark (going from memory here) there is a RESTORED keyboard fill adding about 4 or 5 seconds. It is a full that consists of 3 descending chime-like notes. It then goes into the outro keyboard fills we're all familiar with.

Make no mistake. This in NOT a case where it is more pronounced, and it was "lost in the mix" all these years. It is NEW.

Compare with the earlier recorded versions, even the video and live versions....

This is NEW. I would guess this was the ORIGINAL version and a slight edit was performed for programming purposes, or perhaps the fact it was destined to be a single.

Restored INDEED!!!!!

Tony

I doubt I've listened to the song Mystic Rhythms 100 times PERIOD, much less 100 times a year for 25 years? unsure.gif

That said, very cool discovery! It's not going to make me fork out the cash for this box set any time soon, but it's a nice cool factoid to know!

This is a more significant discovery:

From Steve Hoffman Forums
Here's the complete list of the dropouts on the Fly By Night CD. They all appear to be digital. Some are longer than others (lasting up to 1/2 seconds).

None of these glitches appear on the Hi-Res stereo on the DVD even though it is also the original stereo mix.

Anthem
Right channel 2 Min 2 Sec

Beneath Between & Behind
Left channel 7 Sec

By-tor & The Snow Dog
Left channel 6 Min 51 Sec

Fly By Night
Left channel 1 Min 11 Sec

Rivendell
Left channel 1 Min 15 Sec
Left channel 1 Min 19 Sec

In The end
Right channel 1 Min 26 Sec

QUOTE (tonyvenn @ Nov 26 2011, 12:56 PM)
Greetings all!

Restored INDEED!!!!!

Tony

This kind of thing is awesome to me. I love hearing all the intricate things inside the songs, and finding things that could easily escape the ear.

Nice find! trink39.gif

I'm pretty sure it's on the original CD (been a while since I've listened to this on vinyl.)

The jam is gradually faded out. It's there but it's very quiet. It's hard to tell since it's so quiet but it almost seems like they just kept jamming on it.

My original plan was not to bother with these and I still may not, but I'm very intrigued by some of those Hold Your Fire tracks that have apparently been remixed.

Maybe I'll just wait until the record company releases all of these individually in another six months to a year and worry about it then.