The Official Extreme Metal Thread

Nate2112

Not sure if it could be considered extreme metal or not, but I recently got The Mantle by Agalloch. I've listened to it several times and I absolutely love it. Anyone have any suggestions for which album of theirs I should get next?

I love that album too. I highly suggest you check out Ashes Against the Grain next; it's about as good as The Mantle imho.

pale folklore too

I still have to get Ashes. I was at a record shop the other day (same one where I bought The Mantle) and looked for it but they didn't have it in stock. I will order it soon though.

Not sure if it could be considered extreme metal or not, but I recently got The Mantle by Agalloch. I've listened to it several times and I absolutely love it. Anyone have any suggestions for which album of theirs I should get next?

I love that album too. I highly suggest you check out Ashes Against the Grain next; it's about as good as The Mantle imho.

pale folklore too

I still have to get Ashes. I was at a record shop the other day (same one where I bought The Mantle) and looked for it but they didn't have it in stock. I will order it soon though.

I finally listened to Ashes Against The Grain yesterday. I really liked it after one listen, but it wasn't as immediately captivating as The Mantle. I'll spin it several times before coming to any conclusions, but I think I'll end up liking The Mantle more. Still, it was really good and I'm planning on checking out Pale Folklore sometime soon.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

pale folklore too

I finally listened to Ashes Against The Grain yesterday. I really liked it after one listen, but it wasn't as immediately captivating as The Mantle. I'll spin it several times before coming to any conclusions, but I think I'll end up liking The Mantle more. Still, it was really good and I'm planning on checking out Pale Folklore sometime soon.

the mantle and pale folklore are their best records. they've gotten worse and worse with each record after but they still kick ass

Two of my favorite current bands. Nothing groundbreaking, but they always deliver solid albums and never let me down. Got both of those on vinyl for Christmas. :smoke:

Edited by Storm Shadow
  • Like 1

I used to really enjoy a band called Berzerker. Are they extreme metal?

I recommend them! I found so much melody buried under all that chaos.

I have no idea if this band qualifies, but Dillinger Escape Plan also ruled my world for a long while. Not sure what genre they belong to, but they were extreme something!

I have no idea if this band qualifies, but Dillinger Escape Plan also ruled my world for a long while. Not sure what genre they belong to, but they were extreme something!

Dillinger Escape Plan fits more with mathcore to be honest...not quite extreme metal, but extreme to an extent. Great band though!

I also saw Opeth live supported by Arch Enemy a while back. Ghost Reveries and Still Life were real faves when I was younger. I still appreciate them, but I have not really been into metal for a long while...But what a show!

Interestingly, Mikael Akerfeldt is a massive ABBA fan. I think of that every time I get laughed at for finding time to enjoy the lighter side of music...he makes music that sounds like all your worst fears come to life (on occasion, he also chiiiillls), and yet he also finds time to appreciate many lighter forms of music. I bet he has an amazing music collection!

Finding Amon Amarth kicks ass all over the place. I wish I had discover these guys sooner. I hope to see them on tour, this month, in Charlotte, Atlanta, or on the road. The are touring with Enslaved, who also kicks ass.