People who flat out drive like shit!

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 23 2011, 08:41 PM)
i was stuck behind someone today -- not sure if they were intoxicated, horrible at driving, or GrandDesigner attempting to make a left turn, but either way they're a shit driver.  the road is a 2-lane highway (double yellow line, one lane in each direction) with lots of twists and turns, hills, really a fun road when there's no traffic! 
I was behind an oooold pontiac grand am who was swerving and having trouble maintaining a speed.  Already i was cautious and making sure to keep a little distance -- and then all of a sudden this idiot is completely in the other lane.  not a careless veer, all four tires had completely crossed the double yellow.  After about 10 seconds of this i gave a couple honks to catch his attention, and he slowly drifted back into the proper lane, and then before long he was in the shoulder on the right.  thank god i only had to be behind him for about a mile and a half...who knows what kind of trouble he got in further up the road....

It's quite possible that he was falling asleep at the wheel, and you woke him up in the nick of time. You probably saved his life right at that moment.....new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ....or at least delayed his inevitable death for a while....

Edited by Workaholic Man

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 11:37 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 05:29 AM)
I HATE HATE HATE when people are making right turns on a highway or major road, and there's a massive shoulder they can easily drive in to make that turn, but instead they decide to turn from the right lane on the major road, thus slowing everyone down. Get in the f***ing shoulder and turn you asshole!!!!

Because it's illegal? If it's a shoulder marked by a solid white line, it's illegal to drive in it. Shoulders are not driving lanes no matter how much of a rush you might be in or how impatient you might be with the "asshole" in front of you.

No, they're assholes. You shouldn't be stopping up a 50 mph lane by making a right when there is a huge empty space next to you to turn from.

You're a moron.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 23 2011, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 11:37 AM)
I HATE HATE HATE when people are making right turns on a highway or major road, and there's a massive shoulder they can easily drive in to make that turn, but instead they decide to turn from the right lane on the major road, thus slowing everyone down. Get in the f***ing shoulder and turn you asshole!!!!

Because it's illegal? If it's a shoulder marked by a solid white line, it's illegal to drive in it. Shoulders are not driving lanes no matter how much of a rush you might be in or how impatient you might be with the "asshole" in front of you.

No, they're assholes. You shouldn't be stopping up a 50 mph lane by making a right when there is a huge empty space next to you to turn from.

You're a moron.

No need for personal attacks. I apologize for my previous "asshole" comment.

I guess pulling over to make a right is just an NJ thing then? Seriously, I'd say most people here willingly pull as far right as possible to make a right off a main road so they don't get rammed from behind. So when someone doesn't do it, it feels wrong and upsets the flow of traffic. Nobody ever said NJ has calm, sane drivers. I blame the overcrowding.

Edited by GrandDesigner

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Nov 22 2011, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Nov 22 2011, 07:33 PM)
Honking at someone you don't even know is the equivalent of spitting in their face and saying "f**k you, dipshit."

Umm....not everyone thinks in such vulgar terms when they honk their horns.

You can honk your horn to send several messages:

The light is GREEN. You can go now.

Get back in your own lane!

You just cut me off!

You just ran the red light and almost hit me!

Get out of the street, jaywalker!

Hey, good lookin'......how ya doin'?! wink.gif

Hey John, I'm parked over HERE!

etc.

etc.

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

I said honking in rage. If I thought my life was in danger, or I otherwise needed to alert someone's attention, I'd honk my horn. My point is, I've never had to do that, so I don't understand why there's never a moment in Iowa City where someone isn't leaning on their horn. People get so mad just because not everyone drives perfectly 100% of the time. God forbid you get in someone's way for a tenth of a second.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 02:37 PM)

You're an asshole and I'm glad you don't live here.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 25 2011, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 02:37 PM)

You're an asshole and I'm glad you don't live here.

I just read the rest of the thread and I wish to apologize. I did not realize you are from New Jersey. Being from CT, I am well aware of NJ driving habits.

Driving on the shoulder or in the bike lane is illegal for a reason:

It's a da*n good way to get yourself killed.

There was a girl who tried this trick (making a right turn

from the bike lane) about 6 months ago..she was goin about

50 mph,and hit the curb,went up onto the sidewalk,

lost control,went thru the intersection completely,and

ran into a light pole on the other side , and the car burst

into flames..she was not wearing a seatbelt,and was thrown out

of the car. She died at the scene.I was driving by at the

time, and saw the whole thing...was one of the worst

accident's I've ever seen.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

Texas Driving Laws: Right Turns From the Shoulder Verses the Right Lane

By Terry Walcott, eHow Contributor

The Texas Transportation Code (TTC) regulates the operation of vehicles on state roadways. This statute contains provisions that set forth when it is permissible to make right turns from the right lane of a street or highway, and when it is permissible to drive on a paved shoulder and make a right turn from there.

Shoulder Defined

The majority of highways in the state of Texas are designed and built with paved shoulders to the left and right of each set of the travel lanes. Shoulders are built for use in the event of a breakdown, the need to stop or get out of the flow of traffic, the need to take evasive action and avoid a vehicular accident, or some other emergency.

Right Turns from the Shoulder

Section 545.058(a)(3) of the TTC states that a vehicle operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway to decelerate before making a right turn if that operation is necessary and may be done safely.

Right Turns from Right Lane

Although not explicitly stated, Section 545.058 of the TTC, by implication, authorizes right turns from the right traffic lane on a highway in all situations where it is safe to do so. Section 545.101 of the TTC also states that "an operator shall make both the approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway" when making a right turn at an intersection. This latter statutory section applies to roads without shoulders.

Exceptions

Note that emergency vehicles such as ambulances responding to a call and police patrol cars may use the shoulder, and make turns from the shoulder, to bypass traffic congestion. Bicycles are also exempt and may use the shoulder freely.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 25 2011, 08:56 PM)
Right Turns from the Shoulder

Section 545.058(a)(3) of the TTC states that a vehicle operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway to decelerate before making a right turn if that operation is necessary and may be done safely.

Yeah, this is how NJ works as well.

Decelerating in a lane where people are going 50 mph seems WAY more dangerous than moving to the right and getting out of the way to slow down and make a turn. Not to mention it causes excess traffic in an already over-trafficked state. And the likelihood of people riding bikes on roads where people drive 50+ is very slim.

People from other states, if cars are making lefts on one-lane roads and there's room to go into a shoulder to go around them on the right, do you go around them or do you sit behind them and wait until the car is able to make the turn?

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 25 2011, 10:47 PM)
People from other states, if cars are making lefts on one-lane roads and there's room to go into a shoulder to go around them on the right, do you go around them or do you sit behind them and wait until the car is able to make the turn?

in New York, most people drive around them in the shoulder, but it's still illegal and could potentially be harmful on the rare occasion that an emergency vehicle needs to get through the shoulder.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 25 2011, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 25 2011, 10:47 PM)

in New York, most people drive around them in the shoulder, but it's still illegal and could potentially be harmful on the rare occasion that an emergency vehicle needs to get through the shoulder.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/propellerbeanie.jpg

The biggest annoyance, for me, is probably people who don't use turn signals.

I can understand some people are maybe distracted, talking to another person in the car, dialing the radio, etc. but for crying out loud it's a simple flick of a switch.

Just let the person behind you know what you're doing, it's as simple as that.

Other than that I'm not fond of people who drive under the speed limit, especially when they pull out in front of me thinking they have enough time.

I then have to slow down, get to their level, and then deal with them going too slow.

Oh yeah, another thing.

Whenever I'm driving back home from my job or anything else I'm doing I tend to go 20 or even 15 mph down my neighborhood street.

I make sure I go no higher than 20 down ANY neighborhood street just because you never know when some kid, an animal, anyone really.. is just going to appear and run into the street.

People constantly ride me whenever I do this and it's just bothersome.

There's this one woman who lives down the street from me, has a huge white Cadillac Escalade...woman goes 30 & higher mph down the street at all times.

I honestly wish sometimes they would hit somebody just to knock some sense into their heads that they're going way too fast down a residential road and that kids and small animals' lives are in danger.