Why 2 discs for CD and 1 for DVD??

BloodofTheZodiac

Not that it's a big deal at all, but I am just curious as to why the Time Machine DVD has only one disc when there's the audio, video, as well as extras on it. Whereas the CD is 2 discs and only has audio??

You would think the DVD would have 2 discs like Snakes & Arrows did. Heck, it was a 3 disc set. Surely, they could have put the extras on 1 of the other discs and made it a 2 disc set, instead of 3.

It just seems weird to me.

Roughly...

CDs = 650MB of data

DVD = 4.7GB of data

So it's just math, really. I haven't ripped the CDs or anything, but let's say that the CD audio required for the project was 800MB. They'd need 2 CDs, but when that same audio goes on a DVD, they've got 3.9GB left over - and that's more than enough for the video of the show and a few extras.

Speaking of two discs, is anyone else annoyed the break between the two discs is right in the middle of the MP set? Takes away from the experience of the whole album in sequence.

I'm guessing there was no way around it, but it irritates me.

QUOTE (MCM @ Nov 12 2011, 10:00 PM)
Speaking of two discs, is anyone else annoyed the break between the two discs is right in the middle of the MP set? Takes away from the experience of the whole album in sequence.

They've done that with all the live releases since RIR I believe. It's a little annoying but if you have an iPOD you can re-do the track numbers and make the set go the right way.

I just label everything from Tom Sawyer through Working Man as being on disc two and you get to hear MP all the way through without interruption.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 12 2011, 10:27 PM)
Speaking of two discs, is anyone else annoyed the break between the two discs is right in the middle of the MP set?  Takes away from the experience of the whole album in sequence. 

They've done that with all the live releases since RIR I believe. It's a little annoying but if you have an iPOD you can re-do the track numbers and make the set go the right way.

I just label everything from Tom Sawyer through Working Man as being on disc two and you get to hear MP all the way through without interruption.

Yup. That's the best solution. As I said on another post, I did what you said and actually clipped the few seconds of fading/dead space at the end of CD #1, so it TRULY sounds real.

As for the one disc on DVD thing, also remember that there is no "commentary" and very little "bonus" material. Had there been, it probably would have needed to go on 2 discs.

Clem

Oh my god. Limelight closes out Side ONE of MP.

The Camera Eye. Opener of SIDE TWO of MP.

It makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 12 2011, 10:27 PM)
Speaking of two discs, is anyone else annoyed the break between the two discs is right in the middle of the MP set?  Takes away from the experience of the whole album in sequence. 

I know, on the iPod it's all in order in one place, (except for the drum solo, but I fixed that) but not in the car if I want to listen to the disc instead of using the iPod jack. Seems to defeat the purpose of playing the whole album in it's original sequence. Is the break even at the same place where you would normally turn the album over? Didn't even think about that.

I guess it's a good thing tho cause this seems to be my only problem with the album and it really doesn't matter, just being cranky.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 12 2011, 10:42 PM)

Oh my god. Limelight closes out Side ONE of MP.

The Camera Eye. Opener of SIDE TWO of MP.

It makes perfect sense.

Ahhh, you must have been reading my mind as I was typing my other post, I was wondering if it was at the same time as when you had to turn the album over.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 12 2011, 05:33 PM)
Roughly...

CDs = 650MB of data
DVD = 4.7GB of data

So it's just math, really. I haven't ripped the CDs or anything, but let's say that the CD audio required for the project was 800MB. They'd need 2 CDs, but when that same audio goes on a DVD, they've got 3.9GB left over - and that's more than enough for the video of the show and a few extras.

not entirely true....these days commercially made DVD's aren't 4.7 GB. Single Layer DVD recordable media you buy in stores are (dvd+/- r).

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 13 2011, 12:35 PM)
Roughly...

CDs = 650MB of data
DVD = 4.7GB of data

not entirely true....commercially made DVD's aren't 4.7 GB. Single Layer DVD recordable media you buy in stores are (dvd+/- r).

's why I said "roughly" wink.gif I was just trying to illustrate the size difference between CD and DVD smile.gif Commercial DVDs can be multi-layered and hold quite a lot more data (actually, I think you can get multi-layered re-writeables, but I haven't burned discs in ages, so I'm not up on current disc tech).

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 13 2011, 12:47 PM)
Roughly...

CDs = 650MB of data
DVD = 4.7GB of data

not entirely true....commercially made DVD's aren't 4.7 GB. Single Layer DVD recordable media you buy in stores are (dvd+/- r).

's why I said "roughly" wink.gif I was just trying to illustrate the size difference between CD and DVD smile.gif Commercial DVDs can be multi-layered and hold quite a lot more data (actually, I think you can get multi-layered re-writeables, but I haven't burned discs in ages, so I'm not up on current disc tech).

"roughly", most commercial DVD's these days hold quite a bit more than 4.7 GB. Actually almost double that.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 13 2011, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 13 2011, 12:47 PM)
Roughly...

CDs = 650MB of data
DVD = 4.7GB of data

"roughly", most commercial DVD's these days hold quite a bit more than 4.7 GB. Actually almost double that.

I get it. No need to beat the point into the ground, okay? I was using the example, as I said, to illustrate the major size difference between CD and DVD. They used to be 4.7GB. The last time I burned DVDs on a regular basis, they were 4.7GB. It was a few years back, not exactly ancient history, so cut me a little slack, okay?

beathorse.gif