THE ONLY BORED THREAD v.1

ghostworks

My favorite ambient song (I need to listen to more ambient though):

http://youtu.be/fTjSyERNm78

^ this is very good - it's funny, the only Biosphere track I own is from this same album (Poa Alpina)

I first knew of Geir Jenssen from his work with Bel Canto (80's goth/pop/ambient band) and early 90's ambient/world/techno scientist Pete Namlook

(^ be warned - if you ever come across any Pete Namlook music and like it - he has a discography that is a wormhole from which you can never escape)

and don't even get me started on Robert Rich...

Speaking of ghost: Omar told Thomas Pridgen he wanted him to play more ghost notes

Unfortunately for Omar, Thomas is incapable of any sort of subtle playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uIzOsaOrsU

Jesus :facepalm:

:D this entire clip is hilarious

'headphones or good speakers recommended'

^ then record the clip so hot that it distorts and clips, making the entire exercise pointless (aren't we supposed to be introduced to what it... sounds like?)

and I get he's trying to focus on the cymbal itself but - hey guy - it's better if I know how a cymbal the size of a UFO will incorporate into an overall song, so why don't you play a tune with a lot of that ride instead of just smashing at it

ultimately, that shitty clip proves that cymbals that big NEED to be heavy in order to control them

I use an old 22" Sabian ride for all of my setups - metal, ambient and everything in between

I actually picked it out of a trashbin and I thought it would probably sound awful but free so at least try it out... and it's been my #1 ever since

you can ride for days on the bell, use the bell neck for a fuller tone, or hang out on the outer edge for a little less attack and more cymbal wash

this manhole cover responds to brushes as well as it does marching band sticks - you can go balls to the wall and make it clang like the liberty bell or recreate the seaside with a pair of mallets and a cardioid mic

it's the most musical cymbal I've ever owned (and I've owned 100's)

did I mention it's heavy?

it's heavy

it's so heavy that you really can't create anything unmusical with it unless you hit it as fast as you can like you're trying to break your wrists

^ and if you keep at it, it will begin to build and create a white-noise wash of midrange so powerful that - unmic'd live on a stage - it has overpowered guitarists running full distortion Les Pauls through mic'd Mesa Boogie amps & a full PA

fúck Zildjian cymbals*

(* just kidding, they make awesome cymbals... just not that one)

• Like 1

I have no idea what the Liberty Bell sounds like...

:o

Oh wait - that just came out stupid.

:facepalm:

well, yeah - it sounds like a bell

but no one alive today has ever heard it ring - no recordings either

it was cracked into tunelessness, never to be rung again, in 1846!

The problem being I don't care that all that much about most endangered animals and plants.

you will, though

some things are worthwhile only in retrospect

Edited by ghostworks

I have no idea what the Liberty Bell sounds like...

:o

Oh wait - that just came out stupid.

:facepalm:

well, yeah - it sounds like a bell

but no one alive today has ever heard it ring - no recordings either

it was cracked into tunelessness, never to be rung again, in 1846!

Aw.... :(