THE ONLY BORED THREAD v.1

ghostworks

Here's what some RYM members have said about The Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium:

"The musical equivalent of anchovy sauce - absolutely lovely in small quantities, but if you can drink a whole bottle and not barf everywhere, you're a better man than me."

"I love chocolate. I really do. But when i eat too much of it, i get sick. the Mars Volta makes me feel like eating 20 pounds of chocolate all at once. It's fantastic music, well performed, original, surprising and impressive. But it's just too much!"

^ Filthy casual amateurs.

Conceptual Perfection

Seldom is an artist's debut album their best, but Deloused is unanimously considered to be The Mars Volta's best work. I'm not one to disagree, although two of their later albums (Amputechture, The Bedlam in Goliath) come close. Fresh out of "At The Drive In", Cedric and Omar still had quite a bit of post-hardcore muck on their skin, which surprisingly fused in very well with the Latin progressive rock direction they had now embarked on. The concept, music, and lyrics in this album are absolutely ridiculous -- in a very good way, of course. There's not a bad track on the album and it's a real trip to listen to. The ending of this album is incredible, the best ending minute to a concept album I've heard yet. It always gives me chills, leaving me paranoid, uncomfortable, alert, and... I love it.

-Eriatarka contains some of Omar's finest guitar playing.

-The only time this album may seem to drag a bit is during the improv section of Cicatriz ESP.

• Like 1