Rush At Yankee Stadium?

Serviette Onion

I live in NY, but I'd hate to see them play Yankee Stadium. It's a great place to see a ball game, but it's not a great venue for a concert.

I saw Paul McCartney there this past summer, the sound wasn't great and unless you had a floor see up front, all the other seats in the stadium were REALLY far away from the stage or on a strange angle to the stage.

I'd much prefer they do a few nights at MSG or Jones Beach than one big show at Yankee Stadium.

QUOTE (Serviette Onion @ Oct 17 2011, 06:50 PM)
Here is something that is LONG OVERDUE....How about a Rush concert at yankee Stadium next Summer? That would be- as Geddy said at the end of the 2011 leg of the Time machine Tour- f*ckin' GREAT!!! 2.gif

That place is WAY too big for them to play in this country. They would never come close to selling an 80,000 seat stadium out.

I went to see them at PNC in NJ. I think that place holds about 10,000 people, and there were a lot of empty seats.

What are they going to play there with 60-70,000 empty seats? They arent U2 or Bruce Springsteen, not even remotely close to that popular, so it's just not worth the amount of money it would cost them to actually play there.

Edited by trenken

The ONLY way that Rush could MAYBE do a Yankee Stadium type of show is if they were filming for a live DVD, only played one show in NY, and didn't play any shows in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Connecticut. But even then, how many other people would be die hard enough to drive to NY?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 18 2011, 03:09 PM)
I think that Rush could come damn close to selling out New Yankee Stadium.

Hell I would fukking fly there for that show and I hate the Yankees!!!

If the boys can sell out two shows at Red Rocks, I am sure they could take care of business in New York.

Forget about the "Clockwork Angels" Tour being there.

Just wait until Rush does the ultimate KISS move and announce their A FAREWELL TO KINGS 2015 TOUR!!

The Final TOUR!!!

Forget Radio City Music Hall, Yankee Stadium will be packed for that last gig.

Then the band will head up north and perform their last show ever at the Rogers Centre.

Geddy will get to play his last Rush gig where the Blue Jays play.

Wendy and I will be there for that one too.

After the show of a lifetime we will meet many of you at The Orbit Room.

Been there and done that before on R30.  One of the greatest times we have ever had!

RUSH ON FOREVER!

trink39.gif

I've said this many times on TRF over the last half decade plus, but it has never been more appropriate than now:

You're on acid!

trink38.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (sco703 @ Oct 19 2011, 04:26 PM)
The ONLY way that Rush could MAYBE do a Yankee Stadium type of show is if they were filming for a live DVD, only played one show in NY, and didn't play any shows in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Connecticut. But even then, how many other people would be die hard enough to drive to NY?

Yeah thats a good point. Basically if they didnt play any of the surrounding areas, it was being filmed, and announced to be their last show ever, MAYBE then it would sell out.

They've pretty much always been an arena band, 10-15k people maybe. They never really got to that stadium level of popularity. They played that huge stadium in Brazil where they are hugely popular for some strange reason, hadnt played there in a long time (or ever?), those people knew it might be there only chance, and there were 60k there. Think about that. You realize how difficult it is to get that many people to go see Rush. It has to be extreme circumstances, like that was. Many of those people loved them for decades and never got a chance to see them. Thats how they sold that many tickets.

We're talking about an 80k+ seat stadium in an area where they normally play all around it anyway, fairly often these days. There's just no way under normal circumstances they would ever play there.

While I would like for them to be able to sell tickets in those kind of numbers, I wouldn't want to see them in that large of a venue.

I like the size of venues they play now. I sometimes think a band gets lost in the stadium setting. I saw U2 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh this summer, it was a good show and I enjoyed it, but I think you also lose something when playing in that environment.

(this could all be because I'm old old.gif )

I doubt that they can sell out Yankee Stadium. I'd guess that the reason why they sold out in stadiums in South America is because they hadn't played there and it seems like South Americans are more into prog rock/metal than Americans are.

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that many Asians will go see foreign bands whether they heard of them or not, which is why there are so many live albums recorded in Japan. I don't know if there's any truth to this but it might be similar in Brazil, where people will go see a concert just for fun, not because they're fans. I'm just guessing here, so take this with a grain of salt.

ETA: I mean people who live in Asia, not Asians in general. I reread my post and realized that it could have been taken the wrong way.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 21 2011, 09:12 PM)
I doubt that they can sell out Yankee Stadium. I'd guess that the reason why they sold out in stadiums in South America is because they hadn't played there and it seems like South Americans are more into prog rock/metal than Americans are.

I don't know how true it is, but I heard that many Asians will go see foreign bands whether they heard of them or not, which is why there are so many live albums recorded in Japan. I don't know if there's any truth to this but it might be similar in Brazil, where people will go see a concert just for fun, not because they're fans. I'm just guessing here, so take this with a grain of salt.

ETA: I mean people who live in Asia, not Asians in general. I reread my post and realized that it could have been taken the wrong way.

Asia? Idk

But South Americans (those in Brazil anyways) are die hard fans. When you want the bonus documentary for Rush in Rio, and then Iron Maiden's 'Flight 666' you'll see that they take music seriously and love bands like Rush and Iron Maiden. Perhaps they just love all music. I know Muse has had highly successful shows there.

Who knows? confused13.gif Perhaps we just see the recordings of the big shows from Asia and South America.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Oct 22 2011, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 21 2011, 09:12 PM)

Asia? Idk

In Japan (can't speak for the rest of Asia), the locals WILL see just about any foreign act and pay for it...that is, IF that foreign act has somewhat regularly toured here OR are immensely popular worldwide. I regularly see Chaka Khan's (yes, her) name being advertised for smaller venues but she still is somehow able to sell tickets for 7000-8000 yen. That's about 75-85 bones for Chaka f***ing Khan! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Still though, I don't think 2.gif would be able to sell out the larger arenas here simply BECAUSE they have not been around these parts for decades and their music isn't ever played.

Also, there is not a large enough ex-pat community (from the West) in Asia to solely support North American bands. In Japan, the foreign community is less than 2% of the total population...and much of that 2% is from Korea or China.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze