Apple Scared of Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet

Maverick

Apple fears the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will launch on to the market "with the velocity of a fire hose" and "take away iPad 2 sales so quickly" that customers may be permanently "seduced" away from Apple's iOS platform, its lawyers told the Federal Court in Sydney today.

Apple is suing Samsung for patent infringement arguing the firm "slavishly" copied its iPad. The interlocutory hearing, which is considering whether Samsung's competing tablet should be banned from the Australian market, revealed for the first time how serious a threat Apple regards Samsung to be.

Cliffs:

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is super bad-ass, and Apple is crying like a baby over it.

fists crying.gif

Apple says Samsung "slavishly copied" the design from the iPad 2, and then put a better OS in it with a better screen, apparently.

laugh.gif

I guess we aren't allowed to draw rectangles anymore, either...

scared.gif

Source

It wouldn't be hard to design a better OS than the iPad. I mean, for god's sake the firmware it's based off of was designed for a phone! To top it all off the OS barely gives you any liberty to do anything unless you hack it. To make a better tablet all one has to do is amass the funds for equivalent of better hardware and design an OS closer to a PC than a phone and you have a winner.

Apple needs to realize the Monopoly they hold is slipping. They need to start listening to what they consumers want while they're creating their new products. They can't just re-release the same thing over and over every year with a few upgrades and expect to keep a leading edge, just look at what happened to Guitar Hero.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 29 2011, 06:47 PM)
Apple fears the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will launch on to the market "with the velocity of a fire hose" and "take away iPad 2 sales so quickly" that customers may be permanently "seduced" away from Apple's iOS platform, its lawyers told the Federal Court in Sydney today.

Apple is suing Samsung for patent infringement arguing the firm "slavishly" copied its iPad. The interlocutory hearing, which is considering whether Samsung's competing tablet should be banned from the Australian market, revealed for the first time how serious a threat Apple regards Samsung to be.

Cliffs:

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is super bad-ass, and Apple is crying like a baby over it.

fists crying.gif

Apple says Samsung "slavishly copied" the design from the iPad 2, and then put a better OS in it with a better screen, apparently.

laugh.gif

I guess we aren't allowed to draw rectangles anymore, either...

scared.gif

Source

Yeah, Samsung came up with the whole concept and design of the Galaxy aaaaalllll out of the blue.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Sep 30 2011, 12:02 AM)
I honestly don't give a LOL about this little tablet phrase. Point and click, type and scroll - it's really nifty.

(oh, and... by the way:)
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showforum=40
go on, shoo wink.gif

Sorry, Kenneth. I put this story in Random Samples because it is worthy of all the Rush nerds seeing it, and not just the sub-set of nerdier Rush nerds who frequent Reverse Polarity.

Its a news post, not a tech post.

Oh, and shoo yourself. :-P

doh.gif

I have a Samsung tablet and can assure you it does what it needs to do as android phones do what they need to do. South Park already did an episode on this. Everyone had an iPad and Cartman wanted one too. They went to the store and his mom explained to him that they could get one for half the price that does the same thing. Cartman just wanted an iPad because he was worried the other kids wouldn't think he was cool with a different brand.

You guys have seen Apple's financials, right?

I'm pretty sure the execs at Apple aren't too interested in anyone's opinion. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. Quarter after quarter, year after year, since 2001, there have been dire predictions that follow the pattern:

"Apple needs to _____ or else their monopoly will evaporate. They need to listen to their customers and give them _____ or else they'll fail. Apple needs to have <this feature> or <that feature> on the next <OS X><iPod><iPad><iPhone> or else it will be an epic failure and <Microsoft><HP><Samsung><Motorola><Amazon> will swoop in and kill it off completely."

And yet... quarter after quarter, year after year, since 2001, the company has grown and outpaced its competitors in nearly every market.

So.

Let's get into a huge debate about why Apple needs to fear the Galaxy Tab. I'm sure it will be entertaining.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 1 2011, 12:16 AM)

I'm pretty sure the execs at Apple aren't too interested in anyone's opinion. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. Quarter after quarter, year after year, since 2001, there have been dire predictions that follow the pattern:

"Apple needs to _____ or else their monopoly will evaporate. They need to listen to their customers and give them _____ or else they'll fail. Apple needs to have <this feature> or <that feature> on the next <OS X><iPod><iPad><iPhone> or else it will be an epic failure and <Microsoft><HP><Samsung><Motorola><Amazon> will swoop in and kill it off completely."

And yet... quarter after quarter, year after year, since 2001, the company has grown and outpaced its competitors in nearly every market.

So.

Let's get into a huge debate about why Apple needs to fear the Galaxy Tab. I'm sure it will be entertaining.

The reason for this is that every competing device has never matched Apple's product in terms of capability, except perhaps Android phones, which are beginning to eat away at Apple's smartphone dominance. Tablets are a phase, but people are still buying them like crazy. If Samsung does release a tablet of equal or greater capability and gets some publicity, Apple will lose their Monopoly. I'm not saying they will be devastated by it, but they will have competition, and competition is good for the consumer.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 1 2011, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 1 2011, 12:16 AM)

So.

The reason for this is that every competing device has never matched Apple's product in terms of capability, except perhaps Android phones, which are beginning to eat away at Apple's smartphone dominance. Tablets are a phase, but people are still buying them like crazy. If Samsung does release a tablet of equal or greater capability and gets some publicity, Apple will lose their Monopoly. I'm not saying they will be devastated by it, but they will have competition, and competition is good for the consumer.

But that's my point, really. It's always something "this time" that's different from past efforts.