The lovers of My Little Pony

Godot

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 28 2011, 11:19 AM)
The furry culture is of a sexual nature. They are people who are aroused by the thought of sex with people as animal mascots, or with people crossed with animals.

Isn't that kind of a harsh generalization?

I know people who call themselves "furries" but they certainly aren't sexually attracted to animals or any sort of symbolic representation of an animal. Obsessed with animals, perhaps, but not in such a way. "Furry" is a pretty broad term and you can't lump everyone into the whack-job category, just like you can't say that everyone who likes MLP:FIM is obsessed with it.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 28 2011, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 28 2011, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 28 2011, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Sep 28 2011, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 25 2011, 06:12 PM)
This whole thread is really disturbing. . . scared.gif
<backs slowly out of thread>

You mean like this?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/turnbacktimep1.gif

laugh.gif Great gif!

I'm not sure how to take this thread - "bronies"? Really? I hope it's a joke but then again there are the "furries", who I am sure are harmless. But they scare the shit out of me nonetheless!

The Bronies are for real. I find it ironic that they have to clarify that they are not fans in an ironic way. I think being ironic has become too mainstream.

goodpost.gif z7shysterical.gif

Maybe I am too old or close-minded or whatever, but that's just WEIRD.

What's next? Rainbow Brite? The Heffalumps? Like someone else mentioned earlier, grown men having a fascination with little girls' toys is creepy.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 28 2011, 02:44 PM)

You mean like this?

laugh.gif Great gif!

I'm not sure how to take this thread - "bronies"? Really? I hope it's a joke but then again there are the "furries", who I am sure are harmless. But they scare the shit out of me nonetheless!

The Bronies are for real. I find it ironic that they have to clarify that they are not fans in an ironic way. I think being ironic has become too mainstream.

What's next? Rainbow Brite? The Heffalumps? Like someone else mentioned earlier, grown men having a fascination with little girls' toys is creepy.

That's what's kinda revolutionary about the whole program. It wasn't ever meant to be something more than an ad campaign at best. I mean really, why did Hasbro make the show? To sell their toys. What happened is they hired someone to make it who actually cared about their reputation and what they were doing, and they cared enough to turn something childish into a show with such strong development, that it's impossible not to appreciate.

As for the grouping with furries, I can like the show, but I sure as hell don't get aroused by the ponies.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 28 2011, 01:44 PM)

You mean like this?

laugh.gif Great gif!

comp26.gif banghead.gif

People, it's the new television series Friendship is Magic, not the old 80's plastic toys, or the 80's television show. And itt's not creepy, thank you very much.

Here, a testimony from a totally credible Brony.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 28 2011, 10:55 AM)
The furry culture is of a sexual nature. They are people who are aroused by the thought of sex with people as animal mascots, or with people crossed with animals.

I know people who call themselves "furries" but they certainly aren't sexually attracted to animals or any sort of symbolic representation of an animal. Obsessed with animals, perhaps, but not in such a way. "Furry" is a pretty broad term and you can't lump everyone into the whack-job category, just like you can't say that everyone who likes MLP:FIM is obsessed with it.

THIS.

I wonder how many people are getting their ideas of the "furry" subculture from that shitty CSI episode?

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 28 2011, 04:16 PM)

THIS.

I wonder how many people are getting their ideas of the "furry" subculture from that shitty CSI episode?

I may love the show and be considered "obsessed" to a point, but that doesn't mean that I'm a furry. They happen to be animals. If they were humans, I wouldn't love the show any less. See, for the one who called the idea of the furry subculture a harsh generalization, calling lovers of My Little Pony furries is a blatant harsh generalization.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 28 2011, 03:16 PM)

THIS.

I guess I got mine from the furries I've known in real life..... but maybe I only got the part of the spectrum that was crazy-obsessed. laugh.gif

The point I wanted to make was that while furries do generally carry a sexual undertone, Bronies do not.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 28 2011, 10:19 AM)
It's no different from the time 10 years ago when there was a movement among young males who watched Powerpuff Girls.

That's exactly what my wife said two nights ago when I was telling her about this thread and the whole bronies meme or subculture or whatever you want to call it. She said, 'but we used to watch Powerpuff Girls, what's the difference?', but to me, there's a massive difference. Powerpuff Girls wasn't innocent, wasn't aimed at young girls (like, 3-8 year old girls), and was rife with violence, innuendo (very cleverly written) and it was heavy in its sarcasm. There's an episode that parodies Japanese monster movies that is so over the top in its violence that it surprises even me.

Having said that, I was in my late 20's when I watched that show. I wasn't the target demographic, not by about 15 years. So, I get where the bronies thing comes from in the broad sense. But I don't think it's the same thing as the Powerpuff Girls phenomenon (or Animaniacs, which is another thing that's been brought up, which was extremely steeped in adult themes and jokes).

QUOTE (Litehawk @ Sep 28 2011, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 28 2011, 04:16 PM)

THIS.

I may love the show and be considered "obsessed" to a point, but that doesn't mean that I'm a furry. They happen to be animals. If they were humans, I wouldn't love the show any less. See, for the one who called the idea of the furry subculture a harsh generalization, calling lovers of My Little Pony furries is a blatant harsh generalization.

I wasn't saying that MLP fans were furries. Not at all.

I was merely saying that you can't generalize.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 28 2011, 04:08 PM)
It's no different from the time 10 years ago when there was a movement among young males who watched Powerpuff Girls.

That's exactly what my wife said two nights ago when I was telling her about this thread and the whole bronies meme or subculture or whatever you want to call it. She said, 'but we used to watch Powerpuff Girls, what's the difference?', but to me, there's a massive difference. Powerpuff Girls wasn't innocent, wasn't aimed at young girls (like, 3-8 year old girls), and was rife with violence, innuendo (very cleverly written) and it was heavy in its sarcasm. There's an episode that parodies Japanese monster movies that is so over the top in its violence that it surprises even me.

Having said that, I was in my late 20's when I watched that show. I wasn't the target demographic, not by about 15 years. So, I get where the bronies thing comes from in the broad sense. But I don't think it's the same thing as the Powerpuff Girls phenomenon (or Animaniacs, which is another thing that's been brought up, which was extremely steeped in adult themes and jokes).

You bring up a good point. It's definitely much different than Animaniacs; that show was a masterful blend of adult and children's entertainment, and there's been nothing like it since.

I don't think it's too far from PPG, though. Yes, there was blood, and Him was incredibly unnerving. But it's still very feminine and, if you look at its time slot, it was aimed at a younger audience. I watched it back when it was running, as a 6 or 7-year-old boy. I thought it was great!

Thanks for bringing up a good discussion topic! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 28 2011, 05:08 PM)

The Executive Producer of MLP:FiM made the Powerpuff Girls

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 30 2011, 02:28 PM)
Here ya go, guys.  Ask Santa for one of these this Christmas:

MLP Gift Set

laugh.gif That's generation 1 stuff. It isn't even cute!

This is what I will ask of him:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cVUt0mCfFZU/TfehffYTgZI/AAAAAAAAA98/p50miLr8QAA/s640/royal+ball+at+canterlot+castle.jpg

yes.gif

Or maybe even this:

http://www.welovefine.com/img/p/876-2107-large.jpg

QUOTE (BethOfSyrinx @ Oct 1 2011, 01:11 PM)
OH GOD YES.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/invalidgriffin/random/mlp_rainbowsForever.gif
heart.gif

Hey, noticed you're new, welcome

QUOTE (Litehawk @ Oct 1 2011, 01:20 PM)
OH GOD YES.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/invalidgriffin/random/mlp_rainbowsForever.gif
heart.gif

Thanks! I did make an introductory post over in the Finding My Way section biggrin.gif

I love the ponies. Seen every episode up until now.

*brohoof*

QUOTE (BethOfSyrinx @ Oct 1 2011, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Litehawk @ Oct 1 2011, 01:20 PM)
OH GOD YES.
heart.gif

Thanks! I did make an introductory post over in the Finding My Way section biggrin.gif

I love the ponies. Seen every episode up until now.

*brohoof*

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/collab/src/131172901535.png

Did you hear about the upcoming Luna episode?

QUOTE (BethOfSyrinx @ Oct 1 2011, 01:37 PM)
I think she's amazing and her colours and style are my thing so she really appealed to me. laugh.gif
Is that a fanfic? I don't read pony fictions, i think it's stupid. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Oh trust me I absolutely HATE all things fanfiction, but I heard so much about it so I broke down and read it.

Fanfictions are atrocious in my mind for the following reasons:

Horrible portrayal of characters

Terrible grammar

Terrible writing styles

and it's just never like the actual thing

Past Sins was amazing. The characters were perfectly elocuted, the writing style was perfect, and I swear, it could have been original content. I definitely recommend it.