Crushing depression

Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 23 2011, 11:45 PM)
Just updating.

I can officially say I had a new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif weekend, at least relative to how I've been feeling for the past 6 weeks or so. Got a lot done - some rearranging of furniture, "fall cleaning", dogs bathed. It's nice to have a prolonged (more than a few hours of one day) period of feeling good.

My husband bought me a magnetic arrow for the fridge. I point it up or down depending on my frame of mind, so he knows what to expect! It pointed "up" mostly this weekend.

That is great news! I love the arrow idea too. All hopes for you that it remains pointing up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 23 2011, 08:45 PM)
Just updating.

I can officially say I had a new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif weekend, at least relative to how I've been feeling for the past 6 weeks or so. Got a lot done - some rearranging of furniture, "fall cleaning", dogs bathed. It's nice to have a prolonged (more than a few hours of one day) period of feeling good.

My husband bought me a magnetic arrow for the fridge. I point it up or down depending on my frame of mind, so he knows what to expect! It pointed "up" mostly this weekend.

Glad to hear things are looking up!

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 23 2011, 11:45 PM)
Just updating.

Great to hear Mara!! Glad to hear you you had a positive weekend.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 23 2011, 08:45 PM)
Just updating.

That's so great! Very happy for you smile.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 16 2011, 07:09 PM)
^^^ Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers.  smile.gif

But I did want to address one part of your post.  I'm not sure how you meant it, and I may be a bit sensitive to it because I do have a very religious brother-in-law who subscribes to the "too blessed to be depressed" simplistic mindset.  He sees the need for medication as a crutch and a sign of weakness.  Anxiety and depression, according to him, is a sin because it means one is not putting enough faith in God.  (He does not know my current state - his wife takes meds.  I've seen the grief he gives her and prefer not to subject myself to same). 

There are still a number of people who fail to understand that chronic depression is a physiological condition, much like diabetes or high blood pressure.  No one tells people with those conditions to "just pray to God about it and don't be dependent on medications."  And it's not like the medications commonly taken for depression cause euphoria - it's not like I'm dosing myself with heroin every morning. 

I don't think you meant it that way, but I just wanted to clarify.

no, yeah. i've read your posts in other threads about the peculiar behavior of some of your in-laws. that's why i was not confident my post would be received well. but your original post concerned me enough to risk being perceived as an "asshat" <--still love that term biggrin.gif

i didn't mean to be flippant or suggest that a relationship with God is a quick fix to solve all your problems. i meant to suggest that there are other solutions besides western medicine and wanted to tell you what helped me. that's all. just my $.02.

and perhaps i am overly sensitive to western medicine. my late husband struggled with anxiety and panic attacks as he tried to quit drinking alcohol. the doctor explained that anxiety was something some folks have, and that many of them self medicate with alcohol. when they try to quit drinking, the anxiety becomes unbearable. makes sense, right? he went on psych meds, but i still can't recommend them to anyone. Tony died, of an unrelated cause (? i still wonder about this), before we ever found out for sure whether the drugs really helped or not.

during Tony's (mis)adventures in prescription medicine, his older sister, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a teenager, tried to reassure me that it takes the right combination of meds, and that its a process to figure out which ones. this didn't really reassure me of anything.

some time later, my best friend come from the doctor and told me they were ready to write her a prescription for prozac. that alarmed me. i wasn't so worried about her as much as i was the medical industry and the turn it had taken. i work in the medical industry as an accountant, and i have watched the cost of pharmaceuticals skyrocket, actually triple over the last decade.

a year ago, a close friend of mine's 18 year old son committed suicide while coming off of an antidepressant. he didn't like the way it made him feel, and just quit taking it. that was enough to make me hate psych meds, all of them, forever.

then my son's pediatrician asked me if i wanted a prescription for Timothy, you know, to help calm him. (he's autistic and was about 9 or 10 at the time) i said, "no, those drugs SCARE me" and the doctor said "yeah, me too" (!!!)

so as much as i hate to go against the grain here, i just wanted to say that i don't encourage the pharmaceutical solution. but i do want you to feel better and continue to take good care of yourself.

i remember you used to row like crazy! are you still working out?

Definitely good thinking to pass on the Xanax. yes.gif

Can you still kayak or canoe? At least you can get out on the water. I have a friend who's taken up kayaking recently and she's loving it. I'd like to try it myself....