Time Machine DVD

MCM

I cannot believe this insanity will just not die. wacko.gif

Again, the "60" on Amazon's page has no meaning whatsoever. None at all. None. All it takes a a small bit of paying attention to realize how they do things and yet the same confusion takes place every single time a new product is anticipated.

Still none.

Nope, no meaning at all.

Stop looking at it.

smile.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Amazon do that! Its just wrong in every aspect of the word! However, the only reason I reacted that way was cause it reminded me of the Exit Stage Left DVD, Which was cut down considerably and had no Camera Eye. Maybe I over reacted, but anything can happen when it comes to DVD concerts. R30 was edited and shortened only to show up later! Remember that! I feel better after seeing the UK edition of 162 Min. That would be more appropriate, considering all the songs they recorded that were never filmed Live. If they are any songs that I might expect could be Excluded would be Caravan and BU2B because they would have them on the next tour! Everything else should be there!

1022.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 13 2011, 08:40 AM)
Why would Amazon do that! Its just wrong in every aspect of the word! However, the only reason I reacted that way was cause it reminded me of the Exit Stage Left DVD, Which was cut down considerably and had no Camera Eye. Maybe I over reacted, but anything can happen when it comes to DVD concerts. R30 was edited and shortened only to show up later! Remember that! I feel better after seeing the UK edition of 162 Min. That would be more appropriate, considering all the songs they recorded that were never filmed Live. If they are any songs that I might expect could be Excluded would be Caravan and BU2B because they would have them on the next tour! Everything else should be there!

1022.gif

Yeah, concerts were commonly capped at either 60 or 90 minutes in the 80s for a variety of reasons. That wasn't a "Rush thing", almost all bands' concerts were sold that way. I started buying concerts on VHS around 1983 or so and was always frustrated with how much was cut out.

I bought so many back then and of course I've upgraded them to dvd whenever possible but I've still got a lot of original concert VHS tapes that have never been released on dvd.

For the most part shows released in the first half of the 80s were 60 minutes and in the second half were commonly 90 minutes.

Just a random sampling of mine shows Scorpions' World Wide Live from 1985 at 60 minutes and Ted Nugent's 1988 Whiplash Bash and Ozzy Ozbourne's 1986 The Ultimate Ozzy at 90 minutes. A few others are longer but still incomplete such as Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder at 100 minutes.

The bad thing as far as people hoping Rush will rerelease those old shows in complete form is that almost no one else has done that. That leads me to believe that almost all of those shows were sent out to 3rd party producers who trashed whatever wasn't used because no one ever thought there would be any long term value to any of that stuff.

I've upgraded Van Halen's 90 minute Live Without a Net to dvd and it's still the same length. Same with Judas Priest's Live, it's still 90 minutes, Dio Sacred Heart dvd was 60 minutes on VHS and it's still 60 minutes on dvd, Def Leppard's In the Round was 90 minutes and it's still 90 minutes.

Everybody I've listed are/were major bands and yet none of them have ever released the rest of their footage. It's either because it's cost prohibitive or it doesn't exist anymore. Either way, I think people holding out hope for the remaining ESL, GUP, and ASOH footage will be waiting forever.

There are a few exceptions though if you want to be positive. Yes' 9012Live was 60 minutes long and so is the dvd but they did add 1 song that was cut as a separate bonus with rough soundboard audio. The Police's concert from Atlanta in 1983 also got 4 songs that were cut added to the dvd but again only as separate-from-the-show extras. Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same has also had songs restored as separate extras.

If none of those bands have gone back and restored those full concerts from what is for many of them the peak of their careers then there's obviously a reason and I have no reason to believe that Rush is any different.

But again, there's no chance that the new concert will be 60 minutes. The 164 minute running time is probably accurate for the main show not counting extras.

Edited by snowdog2112

Here, just to pile on check this out. I just randomly picked another recent release (actually, I thought it was still a few months away, I've got to get this soon).

People have known for many months about Yes' Union tour dvd release.

This is the accurate data for the single disc version:

Running Time: 118 Minutes

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8493440

Now, look what it still says on Amazon's page:

Run Time: 60 minutes

http://www.amazon.com/YES-Union-Yes/dp/B00...13251779&sr=1-1

Again, this is so incredibly common. Every now and then you just have to get your bullshit detectors tuned so when you look at something you can say "What? that can't be right" and investigate further. smile.gif

Now let's all look forward to the Rush dvd with happy thoughts! biggrin.gif

Edited by snowdog2112

Happy thoughts on board.

I doubt the 1980s show will ever be changed, but there is no reason not to expand the live albums from that time. I hope they remaster them and add songs like Vital Signs on ESL. That version from the New World Man single has never been released on CD.

I received my copy of the Time Machine DVD today from Amazon. I could've gotten the blu-ray but what the hey. I got to see them for the first time with my pops (also his first) when they played at the YUM Center in Louisville and they rocked out loud!

I like the DVD I'm glad all the songs are there and the funny videos cause my dad and I both enjoy seeing them be silly and making jokes. It was cool to see outtakes from the videos as bonuses. Also seeing the complete Tom Sawyer video with the changing people was fun to see. I guess I'm not as nitpicky or I don't keep a close watch as to edits and what not, but I thought it was a good sounding DVD and it looked nice and it's a nice sort of memento from that tour. I will probably be getting Neil's DVDs for X-mas as I blew most of my B-Day (Oct 28) money on other stuff. I did see his DVDs at the GC along with the Work in Progress and Anatomy (I do own that one) and the Buddy Rich Memorial shows with Neil. Overall I'm satisfied with the DVD and glad to have it! biggrin.gif