Rush songs heard in passing

Mika

I get a little thrill every time I happen to catch a Rush song during my day - say, on the radio or someone playing some Rush in a car... I thought I'd start up a place where we can share our little random 'hearings'!

Last night at work, two Rush songs played over our music system:

'Fly By Night'

and

'Subdivisions'.

This caused me to pause my work the best I could to savour the songs...!

At a local grocery store chain i've heard Overture/Temples Of Syrinx and Fly By Night played over the PA a couple of times before.

These are smaller corner grocery stores so i'm guessing whoever is working in this particualr one is a Rush fan and has a mix CD with them on it.

It's very surprising, yet pleasing, to walk into a store just to get a few groceries and hear Rush playing while i'm doing it 1022.gif

There have been more through the years i'm sure. But this is the most recent one I can recall.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 14 2011, 09:24 PM)
I heard 2112 on XM this morning. They play it all the time but its still exciting to hear.

That's awesome! Did the whole song get played?

There is a local investing radio show here in Nashville. I think it is called The Big Money Investor Show. Can you guess what their theme music is?

Hint: It isn't "I Think I'm Going Bald"

I was with the family today in the car and turned to a station that just started Tom Sawyer. I knew nobody in the car wanted to hear it so I turned it down. When my daughter went to get her friend, I told my wife "ya gotta hear the jam part" just as the solo part kicked in (the best part of the song IMO). It was the only Rush I heard today, all 30 seconds of it, and yet those 30 seconds were all I needed to reaffirm my love for Rush's music.

It was busy at work today, and as I hurredly passed a co-worker, I noticed with delight that he was singing to himself, "They call me the working man..."

Brief surge of happiness!

My boyfriend went to talk to his boss a coupla weeks ago, and when he heard Rush from a radio that had been left on in area outside his boss's office, said, "Hey, it's Geddy!" They got talking about how they'd both been to last year's show at the State Fair, and how my boyfriend went back to Hershey this spring. His boss asked how they compared, and my boyfriend said that the sound was much better in Hershey, probably because we were in the 17th row as opposed to the nosebleeds. When his boss asked him how he got the tix, he said, "Oh, my girlfriend took care of it". "You have a cool girlfriend!" the boss says cool.gif

I had a car drive by me when I was outside of work on lunch. I think they were playing Rush, and the person beeped and waved. I couldn't even catch what song it was, or who it was, and nobody's owned up...I waved back like "Hi...whoever you are"...

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 14 2011, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 14 2011, 09:24 PM)
I heard 2112 on XM this morning. They play it all the time but its still exciting to hear.

That's awesome! Did the whole song get played?

They played the whole thing 1022.gif

QUOTE (Dr.Zin @ Jul 20 2011, 03:09 PM)
I heard Tom Sawyer playing on Futurama very early this morning... made my morning/night.

There's a Futurama episode with 'Tom Sawyer'? Awesome! Must be a new episode?

Aaannnndddddd.... speaking of 'Tom Sawyer', I was just about to leave work tonight when the very same song came on. I settled myself down for a lovely few minutes while I sang along to it. I so rarely know the words to the music we most often play (current dance-y stuff), so it was nice to have something awesome I could sing to (even if I was singing by myself!).

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 21 2011, 03:25 AM)
I heard Tom Sawyer playing on Futurama very early this morning... made my morning/night.

Nope, actually from 2002! It was called "Anthology of Interest II".

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jul 21 2011, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 21 2011, 03:25 AM)

Nope, actually from 2002! It was called "Anthology of Interest II".

Sweet! I'll have to re-watch the Futuramas and check it out! (It's due for a series re-watching, anyway!)

Big Money and Working Man within a couple of hours of each other on Sirius Radio's the Boneyard.

They're usually good for a Rush song at least every couple of hours, including Xanadu, LVS, and even 2112 in their entirety.

Ooh! That reminds me! At work we play this popular dance-y stuff, but about a month ago, 'La Villa Strangiato' randomly came on! I was so stoked, and I'm sure my co-workers were a little amused by my stokedness. Awesome!

Well, I don't know if this really counts, but while I was sleeping last night, I dreamed that 'Before and After' came on the radio. I was listening to it in my dream, and happy because I'd never heard it on the radio before. I thought, "Alright, they're playing some good music today!"