The Boston Trilogy Of Greatness Poll

Which Boston Of Of The First Three Do You Love The Most?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Boston Of Of The First Three Do You Love The Most?

• Boston S/T
    • "Don't Look Back"
    • "Third Stage"
    • I don't consider the first three great, "Walk On" for me!
    • I don't like the first four albums, "Corporate America" rules!
    • This band sucks I love the Boston Red Sox!

I am sure that most will pick the first Boston album as their favorite but I have to go with "Third Stage."

Cranking this polished classic rock album tonight and it's just perfect to my ears.

I remember seeing the "Third Stage" show in Oakland many moons ago. My buddies and I were so blown away that we went to the second show as well. Hell they played "Third Stage" all the way through. That was rare to do back then in the Eighties. A lot of bands are still doing that today in 2011. (Our favorite band for instance did "Moving Pictures."

Anyway I think the first three Boston albums are all perfect.

Tom Scholtz is an amazing guitarist. He is such a perfectionist as well.

I really can't get into "Walk On" or "Corporate America" but I do have them.

Anybody on here want to talk about Boston?

I hope they do another album.

I always loved Sib on the drum kit with his big afro back in the day.

This band is great! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 6 2011, 09:57 PM)
The first 3 albums are great but the debut is perfect. Walk On is decent and Corporate America sucks. I went with the debut because I will never get sick of those songs, no matter how overplayed they are.

I totally agree. I could listen to the first album forever.

It never gets old.

For me I feel the same way about "Third Stage."

I love "Don't Look Back" too but for me "Third Stage" is better.

Saying that I have to go "Against The Grain" and not choose the debut album.

Signed,

Rory Gallagher laugh.gif

Time for me to "Cool The Engines" and grab a beer! Cheers! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 6 2011, 10:17 PM)
A rare vid of Boston performing More Than A Feeling live in '79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AlzsP4jN1E

oh yeah...First album by a mile wink.gif Hitch A ride is my fav tune on the album (LOVE the solo by Tom)

Rick that is a great find!

Could you imagine what is inside the CBS Vault? What the heck!!

I am sure Sony will do the first two albums in the Legacy Series which will have a bonus disc of either live audio or of a dvd.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 7 2011, 12:02 AM)
The first 3 albums are great but the debut is perfect. Walk On is decent and Corporate America sucks. I went with the debut because I will never get sick of those songs, no matter how overplayed they are.

It never gets old.

Signed,

Rory Gallagher laugh.gif

What do you think of the fourth album "Walk On" Earl?? It's pretty good.

Fran Cosmo takes on vocal duties, but I know a better album featuring Fran, remember Orion the Hunter? That was a pretty good album too, I think I've still got it on vinyl on Portrait records like Aldo Nova used to be...(in the UK and Europe anyway).

Meanwhile, for me Boston is all about the first two albums, Third Stage is a bit weak to my ears...

Only heard the first two...like 'em both pretty much the same Edited by Your_Lion

I LOVE Third Stage <3 <3 <3 amazing guitar work there.

I actually got a little depressed when Brad Delp died. I didn't expect that reaction.

QUOTE (hobo73 @ Jul 7 2011, 03:01 PM)

I actually got a little depressed when Brad Delp died. I didn't expect that reaction.

Right on Hobo! "Third Stage" RULES! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 7 2011, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (hobo73 @ Jul 7 2011, 03:01 PM)

Right on Hobo! "Third Stage" RULES! 1022.gif

hell yeah!! 1022.gif

underrated, I say.

s/t wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

I will never tire of Boston the album! 1022.gif

HOWEVER...

If voting for Walk On didn't imply that the others weren't great, then I would have voted for that.

Walk On is probably my fav Boston album. 1022.gif

And Third Stage is by far their worst. confused13.gif

The first album was the best, and each sucessive album was worse than the last. Actually "Dont Look Back" is incredible but not as good as the s/t. "Third Stage" seems to get better with age and I love it but it aint even close to the first 2. "Walk On" is a cool album and CP is ok but not special.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 6 2011, 11:05 PM)

It never gets old.

Signed,

Rory Gallagher laugh.gif

Fran Cosmo takes on vocal duties, but I know a better album featuring Fran, remember Orion the Hunter? That was a pretty good album too, I think I've still got it on vinyl on Portrait records like Aldo Nova used to be...(in the UK and Europe anyway).

Meanwhile, for me Boston is all about the first two albums, Third Stage is a bit weak to my ears...

Yeah Pat, I do like "Walk On." I have the Orion The Hunter cd as well.

"Corporate America" is corporate crap. I saw that tour too and it sucked.

Tom's girlfriend was on the bass and they liked to talk about how they don't eat animals.

I hate that activist shit in my rock 'n roll.

I saw Don Henley once and he was worst. The tool actually stopped the concert half way through and started rambling on about saving the redwoods.

Ridiculous.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 7 2011, 04:44 PM)
The first album was the best, and each sucessive album was worse than the last. Actually "Dont Look Back" is incredible but not as good as the s/t. "Third Stage" seems to get better with age and I love it but it aint even close to the first 2. "Walk On" is a cool album and CP is ok but not special.

Good analysis Dave.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 7 2011, 04:58 PM)
Save the whales earl!!!

didja ever see the Saturday Night Live episode with Gweneth Paltrow? "rain forests are THE DEVIL!!" laugh.gif ah, I oughta find that on youtube.....

Hahahaha!!! Good one Dave! Yeah if you can find that YouTube video I will check it out!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 7 2011, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 6 2011, 11:05 PM)

It never gets old.

Signed,

Rory Gallagher laugh.gif

Yeah Pat, I do like "Walk On." I have the Orion The Hunter cd as well.

"Corporate America" is corporate crap. I saw that tour too and it sucked.

Tom's girlfriend was on the bass and they liked to talk about how they don't eat animals.

I hate that activist shit in my rock 'n roll.

I saw Don Henley once and he was worst. The tool actually stopped the concert half way through and started rambling on about saving the redwoods.

Ridiculous.

Henley is a f***ing redwood!!

laugh.gif

There is no denying the epic greatness of Boston's debut album, however, I can honestly say I am just totally sick of every song off that album....after many many years of listening to it religiously it has become an album where all the songs seem to blend together and sound the same. And Classic Rock radio has of course completely overplayed all of them. I voted for this album but those are my thoughts

My favorite Boston song, however, is Dont Look Back, off the 2nd album.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 7 2011, 08:07 PM)
There is no denying the epic greatness of Boston's debut album, however, I can honestly say I am just totally sick of every song off that album....after many many years of listening to it religiously it has become an album where all the songs seem to blend together and sound the same. And Classic Rock radio has of course completely overplayed all of them. I voted for this album but those are my thoughts

My favorite Boston song, however, is Dont Look Back, off the 2nd album.

You can't blame an album for you listening to it too much. Maybe you should judge the album based on the first few times you listened to it. And if the radio plays stuff too often, a little advice, change the channel or how about turning it off?

I have to pick the first one, it's just pure magic, every second of it.. although the lyrics for Don't Look Back are fantastic. I remember waiting in line at at National Record Mart in Erie for Third Stage back in the day.

I saw Boston once many years ago, it was so long ago I don't really remember much about it, that makes me sad. I saw them a few years ago with Michael Sweet and "that other guy", it wasn't Delp's voice but it was a very good show. Michael Sweet is a true showman. That aside, that guitar sound of Scholz has not changed one bit over the years. Despite all the new players and the lack of Brad Delp, that guitar sound was exactly the same, and as good as it was in 1976.

For what it's worth, Third State was worth waiting in line for.

I own the other two, I've listened to one of them once or twice and the last one I haven't even opened yet even tho I've had it for years.