Perfect Rush album?

Good,bad,andrush

This is not your collection of favorite songs, but rather what you think constitutes a perfect rush album. What qualities are you looking for?

This would be my perfect rush album. A side long epic, a lengthy instrumental, a rocking radio hit, a proggy radio hit, a soft and short song like Different Strings, and an ending with something beautiful like Bravado.

This would be a very odd track listing since the hits are normally on the a-side, but it would be something like this:

Side 1: Epic

Side 2. Hard rock radio hit, prog rock radio hit (like The Trees), soft song, lengthy instrumental, something like Bravado.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

Hemispheres

who needs a soft song anyway...

I'm too musically schizophrenic to ever have a perfect album. The flow of every album has its own charm, which is another reason I love Rush albums. My mood can fluctuate between genres; so when I'm in the mood for Rush, it's nice that they've provided the artillery for whatever strikes my fancy.

I do kind of miss the epics. Another album with one included would be nice.

I don't think any track listing or format could ever be considered perfect. Variety between albums is the key to perfection.

Wow that was deep. eyesre4.gif

But... Here would be my 'perfect' format -

Side 1 (~22-23 min)

1. Short proggy song. Needs to be fast and catchy. Not a single though.

2. Epic. Not quite 20min. Fast-paced and full of instrumental passages. Lots of electric guitar.

Side 2 (~20-21 min)

3. Shortish, hard-rocker. Explosive opening. Riff-based. No keyboards. (4min)

4. Longer Prog song. Plenty of keyboard riffs and guitar for texture. Fades in from the ending of previous song. Think 'In the Cage'. An edited version could be released as a single. The 'classic' on this album, in terms of hardcore fans. (8min)

5. Short semi-acoustic song. Very beautiful. Performed live after the drum solo. Think 'Different Strings'. (3 min)

6. Main radio hit. Starts off a bit quiet. Good blend of keys and guitar. Classic riff. Very fast. Lots of time changes. Killer guitar solo. (4-5min)

And there you have it, the guidelines of a 'perfect' album.

1. A 45 minute long epic...end of album

I kid, I kid,

But it would still be cool to see...kind of like how Thick as a Brick and Passion Play would have been, if they didn't have to bother with album sides

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 30 2011, 11:35 PM)
I don't think any track listing or format could ever be considered perfect. Variety between albums is the key to perfection.

Side 1 (~22-23 min)

2. Epic. Not quite 20min. Fast-paced and full of instrumental passages. Lots of electric guitar.

Side 2 (~20-21 min)

4. Longer Prog song. Plenty of keyboard riffs and guitar for texture. Fades in from the ending of previous song. Think 'In the Cage'. An edited version could be released as a single. The 'classic' on this album, in terms of hardcore fans. (8min)
5. Short semi-acoustic song. Very beautiful. Performed live after the drum solo. Think 'Different Strings'. (3 min)
6. Main radio hit. Starts off a bit quiet. Good blend of keys and guitar. Classic riff. Very fast. Lots of time changes. Killer guitar solo. (4-5min)

Seems like we've got another 2112'er here.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 1 2011, 09:18 AM)

Side 1 (~22-23 min)

Side 2 (~20-21 min)

2112 isn't even close to being in my top 5. My perefect album does look like it though.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 1 2011, 09:34 AM)

Side 1 (~22-23 min)

Side 2 (~20-21 min)

2112 isn't even close to being in my top 5. My perefect album does look like it though.

Neither is it in my top five (I actually dislike every song except Passage.)

I was just noting the setup is very similar.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 1 2011, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 1 2011, 09:34 AM)

Side 1 (~22-23 min)

Side 2 (~20-21 min)

Neither is it in my top five (I actually dislike every song except Passage.)

I was just noting the setup is very similar.

Ya but does 2112 have a 8min, prog, fan favorite? pokey.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 2 2011, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 1 2011, 08:15 AM)
I think they already made the perfect album twice...Hemispheres and Moving Pictures.

we have a winner.

agreed

id even say three times with Permanent Waves

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 3 2011, 08:37 AM)
The Trees was a prog rock radio hit?

Well it's a hit song according to a greatest collection and if I'm not mistaken it came out on rock band. And it's a lot more proggy then TSoR or Tom Sawyer.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jul 3 2011, 08:12 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 2 2011, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 1 2011, 08:15 AM)
I think they already made the perfect album twice...Hemispheres and Moving Pictures.

we have a winner.

agreed

id even say three times with Permanent Waves

THIS!

I'm always in favor of the epics that aren't really 20 minutes. Like Natural Science and Xanadu. Saying that, I really like the formats of A farewell to kings and permanent waves. I think that A farewell to kings shouldn't hit you with a 12 minute song almost right away, but more like Jacobs ladder, kinda 8 minutes. My Problem with Permanent waves is just that I don't like the 2 hits back to back at the begining

QUOTE (ioc @ Jun 30 2011, 10:29 PM)
I'm too musically schizophrenic to ever have a perfect album. The flow of every album has its own charm, which is another reason I love Rush albums. My mood can fluctuate between genres; so when I'm in the mood for Rush, it's nice that they've provided the artillery for whatever strikes my fancy.

I do kind of miss the epics. Another album with one included would be nice.

goodpost.gif

I agree there are some days where I just want to be taken on a journey (ex. the epics) and some days where I am just feeling the shorter songs. Rush has all which makes it nice.

Thats a no-brainer.....Moving Pictures. yes.gif applaudit.gif

One of the GREATEST albums of all time.

..by anyone..period. 2.gif