obscure rush compositions

tel

just reading martin popoffs "contents under pressure" and he speaks of some early rush compositions, namely.......

KEEP IN LINE

MORNING STAR

CHILD REBORN

LOVE LIGHT

SLAUGHTERHOUSE

FEEL SO GOOD

All from the same era as Garden rd and Cant fight it BUT has anybody by any VERY slim chance heard these songs?

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 25 2011, 02:53 PM)
FEEL SO GOOD

Take yourself a friend

Keep 'em till the end

Whether woman or man

It makes you feel so good

So good

Any chance someone just didn't know the name? I see that on bootlegs where some other lyric will be listed as the song title.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 25 2011, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Jun 25 2011, 02:53 PM)
FEEL SO GOOD

Take yourself a friend

Keep 'em till the end

Whether woman or man

It makes you feel so good

So good

Any chance someone just didn't know the name? I see that on bootlegs where some other lyric will be listed as the song title.

interesting thought and a good possibility cool.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 25 2011, 09:49 PM)
I remember reading that they had found a box of old tapes with some of those recorded on them, and that they were planning on cleaning them up and releasing them at some point in the future.

That would be good!

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 26 2011, 01:26 PM)
I remember reading that they had found a box of old tapes with some of those recorded on them, and that they were planning on cleaning them up and releasing them at some point in the future.

That would be good!

Throw in Garden Road, Not Fade Away and Can't fight and we have ourselves a "lost track" collection. I'd buy that right away.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jun 26 2011, 07:42 PM)
I've heard Garden Road, which is on BTLS. Good song. But Slaughterhouse? Doesn't sound like a Rush title at all!

gotta agree but im just quoting martin popoff (great handle) cool10.gif

Found some more from 1970:

NUMBER ONE

RUN WILLY RUN

MIKE'S IDEA

TALE

SING GUITAR

MARGUERITE

LOSING AGAIN

Slaughterhouse was about animal rights.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 27 2011, 09:13 AM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

Heard of run willy run but how did you hear of the rest? smile.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 27 2011, 05:15 PM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

I don't know if I'm supposed to mention this, but the only book of reference I've got is Robert Telleria - Mereley Players... I have nothing else.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 27 2011, 12:44 PM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

I don't know if I'm supposed to mention this, but the only book of reference I've got is Robert Telleria - Mereley Players... I have nothing else.

just checked this book out on amazon ...$226 (new) wtf.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 28 2011, 09:04 AM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

Mine is a Canadian copy, tel, it was printed in 2002, cost $29.95 in Canadian dollars - I had it imported in 2003.

QUOTE (tel @ Jun 28 2011, 04:04 AM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

For Tellaria's book? My guess it it's HIM selling it!

I wrote a scathing review of it (may be on Amazon still) and he sent me a nasty email, it was funny!

I DO remember reading in different sources of those "early" songs....but like one person said, they may just be tunes we know under "working" names (and if the source for them was maybe an old set list, that's highly possible) Garden Road, and You Can't Fight It are out there on a few different boots.

I've seen boots with wrong song names (heck and even BAND names) several times... I think when they were a little more "commercially available" it was a ruse to get them run at a legitimate production facility. Wasn't there a Rush boot available YEARS back that everyone thought the name of the band was Cygnus? (IIRC it was produced by Mike Bahr who used to sell CDR's way way back)

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 28 2011, 12:20 PM)
I've seen boots with wrong song names (heck and even BAND names) several times... I think when they were a little more "commercially available" it was a ruse to get them run at a legitimate production facility.  Wasn't there a Rush boot available YEARS back that everyone thought the name of the band was Cygnus? (IIRC it was produced by Mike Bahr who used to sell CDR's way way back)

That happens more often than you might think. One example I used to own was the boot Freefall, which listed Fly By Night as "Take My Life." Not even close.

I've seen boots with wrong song names (heck and even BAND names) several times... I think when they were a little more "commercially available" it was a ruse to get them run at a legitimate production facility. Wasn't there a Rush boot available YEARS back that everyone thought the name of the band was Cygnus? (IIRC it was produced by Mike Bahr who used to sell CDR's way way back)

I remember that dude and IRC. Flashback! I used to chat on #YYZ.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jun 26 2011, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 26 2011, 01:26 PM)

That would be good!

Throw in Garden Road, Not Fade Away and Can't fight and we have ourselves a "lost track" collection. I'd buy that right away.

most/all of them will be on the box set when they retire, no doubt

To be honest i cant imagine any pleasure being gained from listening to such a collection, this stuffs all a bit brash for my tastes.

Having said that im a completist and would definetly buy it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 28 2011, 11:37 AM)
I've seen boots with wrong song names (heck and even BAND names) several times... I think when they were a little more "commercially available" it was a ruse to get them run at a legitimate production facility.  Wasn't there a Rush boot available YEARS back that everyone thought the name of the band was Cygnus? (IIRC it was produced by Mike Bahr who used to sell CDR's way way back)

I remember that dude and IRC. Flashback! I used to chat on #YYZ.

Yeah..he had a nice little "cottage" industry in a time that not everyone had CD burners!...Talk about taking advantage of a situation....

After I got my OWN burner, I used to chip in to buy "commercial" boots so we could get them out in the trading pool..that put guys like him out of business. The other guy (Who ran Scarred Records) was a little more receptive to trading, and "bartering" AND he got hold of MUCH better sources!

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 28 2011, 11:20 AM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

I wrote a scathing review of it (may be on Amazon still) and he sent me a nasty email, it was funny!

I DO remember reading in different sources of those "early" songs....but like one person said, they may just be tunes we know under "working" names (and if the source for them was maybe an old set list, that's highly possible) Garden Road, and You Can't Fight It are out there on a few different boots.

Is that guy still around?

He promised that book would be updated annually, but he seemed to drop off the face of the earth less than a year after the mistake and typo-laden first book came out.

Now that I think of it, his "friend" Doug Maher also seemed to disappear shortly after that too....

Everyone has their 15 minutes I guess...

QUOTE (ytserush @ Jul 4 2011, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 28 2011, 11:20 AM)

NUMBER ONE
RUN WILLY RUN
MIKE'S IDEA
TALE
SING GUITAR
MARGUERITE
LOSING AGAIN

Is that guy still around?

He promised that book would be updated annually, but he seemed to drop off the face of the earth less than a year after the mistake and typo-laden first book came out.

Now that I think of it, his "friend" Doug Maher also seemed to disappear shortly after that too....

Everyone has their 15 minutes I guess...

Just tried to google Robert Telleria - needle in the haystack moment...

These song titles were referenced in the 1988 "Visions" biography by The B-Man:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcrip...wiczvisions.htm

As for the possibility of some of this stuff being released (assuming any recordings even exist - and this is unconfirmed), I'm guessing that somebody here is referencing the interview that I conducted with Alex back in December, 2008 where he talked about finding some old unlabelled tapes in his studio that he suspected MIGHT contain some of this material: http://guitarinternational.com/2010/07/02/alexlifeson/

Ian Grandy was the band's soundman from 1969-1980, and he has told me that even he does not have any recordings from those early early days, and that the band did not really have recording gear for doing live recordings way back then.

There WERE some studio recordings done in 1972 at a "tiny two-track garage facility called Sound Horn" at Rochdale College. Billy Bryans produced those sessions. The bad news is that Visions states that the tapes were later "lost" (MAYBE this is what Alex found?). Bryans himself has told me he does not have those recordings.

Finally, if you feel so inclined, go here and click on "Setlists" under "The Early Years" and you can read a write-up I did about some of the (sparse) information that is available about the early setlists:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/Tours.htm

It's a shame we don't have more, but maybe something will turn up. The remainder of the 1974 Laura Secord show would be a nice start. Based on the clip from that included in the documentary, it must have at least one previously unknown song on it...

-Skip