Stuck sitting through GREEN lights!!!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2011, 06:40 AM)
Does anyone else live in an area where they have the countdown lights? They've gotten pretty popular around here.

These are integrated into the "WALK-DON'T WALK" signs. At, say 35 seconds before the light change (it varies by intersection), it will start counting down. There's a split second between hitting zero and the light changing to yellow.

They're cool, but I'm not sure what good they do. If, for example, I see the one 50 yards ahead is at "12. . .11. . .10", I'm likely to floor it to be sure I make it through on green. And I KNOW I can't be the only one developing this habit.

We have those here in Colorado and I do look at the countdown and floor it to make it through. In one part of town there are 3 lights like that within a block and a half. You just get through one light and give it gas and the other turns red. It's such an impediment to traffic, I don't get it.

As for people not going on the green light...yeah it happens a LOT! People do not pay attention! In my car you end up with me and my kids all screaming at the idiot who screwed us out of making the light.

I really wish they would out-law texting while driving. I can always tell as the driver's head is down and they are weaving all over their lane. It's just so hazardous to the other drivers! angry.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2011, 08:40 AM)
Does anyone else live in an area where they have the countdown lights? They've gotten pretty popular around here.

These are integrated into the "WALK-DON'T WALK" signs. At, say 35 seconds before the light change (it varies by intersection), it will start counting down. There's a split second between hitting zero and the light changing to yellow.

They're cool, but I'm not sure what good they do. If, for example, I see the one 50 yards ahead is at "12. . .11. . .10", I'm likely to floor it to be sure I make it through on green. And I KNOW I can't be the only one developing this habit.

These are becoming more popular in the Minneapolis area as well...and I have developed the same habits as you.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 26 2011, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2011, 06:40 AM)
Does anyone else live in an area where they have the countdown lights?  They've gotten pretty popular around here.

These are integrated into the "WALK-DON'T WALK" signs.  At, say 35 seconds before the light change (it varies by intersection), it will start counting down.  There's a split second between hitting zero and the light changing to yellow. 

They're cool, but I'm not sure what good they do.  If, for example, I see the one 50 yards ahead is at "12. . .11. . .10",  I'm likely to floor it to be sure I make it through on green.  And I KNOW I can't be the only one developing this habit.

We have those here in Colorado and I do look at the countdown and floor it to make it through. In one part of town there are 3 lights like that within a block and a half. You just get through one light and give it gas and the other turns red. It's such an impediment to traffic, I don't get it.

As for people not going on the green light...yeah it happens a LOT! People do not pay attention! In my car you end up with me and my kids all screaming at the idiot who screwed us out of making the light.

I really wish they would out-law texting while driving. I can always tell as the driver's head is down and they are weaving all over their lane. It's just so hazardous to the other drivers! angry.gif

It is now against the law in Connecticut and everybody still does it. There just aren't enough cops around to catch everybody though.

I was driving about today and realised that although traffic lights can be annoying, my biggest hate on the roads are cyclists. Especially when you get one that sits bang on the White line in the middle of the road, limiting the amount of space you can give them on overtaking, which they then complain about because they get blown about by the draft, but I'm not going to sit behind you at 5mph watching your arse jiggle up and down either. The most annoying thing ever though, has to go to cyclists who ride side by side. They have been known to actually block roads around here, because there is not enough space to pass them.

Also farm traffic. Driving at 15mph on the road in a vehicle that could happily do the same speed in the field right next to road. Farmers always claim that they stop often to let cars pass. I live in the countryside, driving 1000 miles per month, and have never seen this happen. Not even once.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 26 2011, 07:06 PM)
I was driving about today and realised that although traffic lights can be annoying, my biggest hate on the roads are cyclists. Especially when you get one that sits bang on the White line in the middle of the road, limiting the amount of space you can give them on overtaking, which they then complain about because they get blown about by the draft, but I'm not going to sit behind you at 5mph watching your arse jiggle up and down either. The most annoying thing ever though, has to go to cyclists who ride side by side. They have been known to actually block roads around here, because there is not enough space to pass them.

Also farm traffic. Driving at 15mph on the road in a vehicle that could happily do the same speed in the field right next to road. Farmers always claim that they stop often to let cars pass. I live in the countryside, driving 1000 miles per month, and have never seen this happen. Not even once.

ugh, far too many people ride bikes around here on roads that are 1 lane in each direction and have little to no shoulder. I am all for using bikes as a mode of transportation -- but when you're getting dressed up in your silly spandex and going out for a recreational ride, keep it on the recreational bike paths and residential neighborhoods, and stay off the damn main roads. On the rare occasion that one of them is riding near the side of the road, and not dead in the middle of it, you still have to think fast if you wanna have any chance of passing them without colliding head-on with traffic in the other direction. they put up "shared roadway" signs, but those are there to remind DRIVERS to look out for bikers, NOT to give bikers an excuse to go all over the road.

Quite possibly the most annoying thing around here, however, is the suburbia mom syndrome. A couple weeks ago, I was coming out of a small local road where I live (half dirt, half paved, almost 2 lanes wide), at about 3:45pm, which is prime time for school buses. Mom #1 in her honda accord is stopped in front of me. She's standing in the road awaiting her child. Mom #2, driving one of those hideous 2010-generation Outbacks, emerges from a 500-foot long side street and parks PARALLEL to the Accord, gets out of her car and begins chatting with Accord mom...IN THE ROAD. they're now successfully blocking traffic in both directions. After about 10 minutes of waiting for them to leave, i gave them a few angry horn honks and engine revs, and they stared back at me as though I had driven my car into their living room or something. Is it too much to ask of you to clear the roadway, even if it is residential and relatively unused? Or better yet, how about try *walking* the 500 feet to the bus stop, rather than driving out there? Chances are you AND your kid both need the exercise.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 26 2011, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 26 2011, 07:06 PM)

ugh, far too many people ride bikes around here on roads that are 1 lane in each direction and have little to no shoulder. I am all for using bikes as a mode of transportation -- but when you're getting dressed up in your silly spandex and going out for a recreational ride, keep it on the recreational bike paths and residential neighborhoods, and stay off the damn main roads. On the rare occasion that one of them is riding near the side of the road, and not dead in the middle of it, you still have to think fast if you wanna have any chance of passing them without colliding head-on with traffic in the other direction. they put up "shared roadway" signs, but those are there to remind DRIVERS to look out for bikers, NOT to give bikers an excuse to go all over the road.

Quite possibly the most annoying thing around here, however, is the suburbia mom syndrome. A couple weeks ago, I was coming out of a small local road where I live (half dirt, half paved, almost 2 lanes wide), at about 3:45pm, which is prime time for school buses. Mom #1 in her honda accord is stopped in front of me. She's standing in the road awaiting her child. Mom #2, driving one of those hideous 2010-generation Outbacks, emerges from a 500-foot long side street and parks PARALLEL to the Accord, gets out of her car and begins chatting with Accord mom...IN THE ROAD. they're now successfully blocking traffic in both directions. After about 10 minutes of waiting for them to leave, i gave them a few angry horn honks and engine revs, and they stared back at me as though I had driven my car into their living room or something. Is it too much to ask of you to clear the roadway, even if it is residential and relatively unused? Or better yet, how about try *walking* the 500 feet to the bus stop, rather than driving out there? Chances are you AND your kid both need the exercise.

Well, it sounds like you may be one of the jerks I come across on my rides. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on bicycles and their rights and the law and your responsibilities. We have the right to ride on the road and if it is inconvenient for you then too bad. If you see cyclists riding illegally or dangerously then report it to the authorities. While I enjoy trails I also ride on the road, sometimes even one lane roads with no bike lane. You want to see improvements? Lobby for better roads and more bike lanes.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 25 2011, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 25 2011, 10:19 PM)

When the lights are changing, all sides of the junction are kept at red for, I guess between 5 and 10 seconds - but it deviates quite drastically depending on how busy the roads are.

traffic lights in the states work the same way. After one direction goes red, there's a grace period of several seconds for the intersection to clear out. Of course, in true american fashion, people just begin rolling out into the intersection during this grace period so that they can shave 5 seconds off their trip time. The impatience has to disappear along with the cell phone usage.

EDIT:

i should also make note of the fact that in the US, people generally seem to think that a "stop" sign is actually a "15mph or less" sign. (I'm even guilty of rolling through stop signs in quiet residential areas...)

So, you aren't a perfect driver but you expect cyclists to be?

QUOTE (ioc @ Jun 25 2011, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jun 25 2011, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 25 2011, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jun 25 2011, 02:30 PM)
I have experienced it once or twice on the road, but it doesn't bug me too much. When the driver gets mad I just smile and wave as if I intended to make them mad in the first place.

On the other hand, if you want to talk stupid texting drivers, I was on my bike a few days ago and this guy pulls out of his drive way in front of me and then stops while blocking off the entire street. After going through his lawn to get around (there were no sidewalks), I noticed he stopped in the middle of the road and cut off both lanes to text someone.

facepalm.gif I can't stand people who text and drive. My high school bus driver was ALWAYS doing this. She constantly had the bus running over the rumble grooves on the sides of the highway.

She should be fired and have her license revoked...I think all people who are caught texting while driving should have their licenses revoked. I know of many cases where people were killed in collisions while texting...I fear for my kids lives more now than ever because of people driving and texting.

Don't buses have cameras now. How does that idiot not get busted. I mean, a bus driver...driving kids. angry.gif

I think the cameras are turned towards the passengers to "catch any vandals". At least, those are the only cameras I see on public transit over here.

I haven't noticed people sitting thru greens so much...what I have seen is an increase in drivers drifting over the line into my lane.

GET OFF THE PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION YOU FUCKTARDS!!

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 27 2011, 12:21 PM)
I haven't noticed people sitting thru greens so much...what I have seen is an increase in drivers drifting over the line into my lane.

I'm sort of kind of waiting on this to happen to me, and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

See, I kind of am going to need a new car within the next couple of years - why not let some dumbass text-maniac pay for it? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 27 2011, 12:34 PM)

I'm sort of kind of waiting on this to happen to me, and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

See, I kind of am going to need a new car within the next couple of years - why not let some dumbass text-maniac pay for it? laugh.gif

If you're still alive after it happens.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 27 2011, 01:15 PM)

Well, it's not something I'll TRY to do (get into an accident, that is). But if it happens, and presumably I live thru it intact enough to continue driving. . .I'm cool with it.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 27 2011, 12:15 PM)

...and they don't have "F.U. Cheepbastard Insurance". Win, lose or draw, you're pretty much screwed then. banghead.gif