Jam Bands

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 26 2011, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 25 2011, 07:33 PM)

Pat Metheny Group
> The Way Up live

The Way Up is almost the complete opposite of a jam...one of Metheny's most intricate compositions. It's a fine piece, album and performance nonetheless, but not entirely relevant.

maybe Lonnie Liston Smith said it better: "expand your mind..."

some of the traits exemplified in 'The Way Up live':

/musicians playing off each others' strengths

/repetetive musical motifs and riffs that show up over and over again

/extended-length songs

/extensive soloing

- well? there's nothing on that list that doesn't apply to jam bands

I've acknowledged that my list is not a 'jam bands you'll dig' list - anyone reading this thread is probably familiar with the best jam bands out there

my suggestions come recommended to those who are looking for more (and who wouldn't necessarily look in the 'Miles Davis' or 'Bill Laswell' bins)

trink39.gif

I guess with my Warren pic in my signature, it's not hard to figure out that I love Gov't Mule.

Most of my favorite bands are in the 'jam band' genre.

Other than Howard Stern, my Sirius radio is usually on the Jam Band station or the Grateful Dead station.

I'm a big Deadhead. Unfortunately I only got to a handful of shows before Jerry died. But I've seen Phil and Bob in their various incarnations countless times. With their music being free to trade, I've amassed quite a collection of Dead shows. For those Warren fans out there, check out some of the Phil Lesh and Friends shows from 2001.

Allman Brothers - what's not to love about Duane Allman. He gets my vote as the greatest guitar player of all time. Not a big fan of the post Duane era until Warren/Allen joined up. Where It All Begins is a wonderful album and I really like the Hittin' The Note album as well (Shades Of Two Worlds and Seven Turns are decent also). I guess I've seen the Allmans live about 15 times. Last time being the Another One For Woody show at the Roseland in NYC. Having Savannah Woody sing Soulshine was one of the most emotional things I've experienced at a show.

Black Crowes - Saw them live in '97 for the first time. Gov't Mule was the opening act. I liked the Crowes songs, but was not a fan. I went to the show for Mule primarily. Only having listened to the radio songs, I was blown away that they could actually jam. Been a fan ever since. The only album in the past 10 years that I've been blown away upon first listen, much like listening to All The World's a Stage for the first time, was the Warpaint album. The Before The Frost album kicks ass as well. Luther Dickenson is the perfect fit for that band.

Gov't Mule - I think I've seen Mule about 15 times as well. I was lucky enough to see them with Woody as well. A lot of small intimate clubs. This includes the loudest show of any band I've ever been to. I proclaim myself to be the first person to ever hear 'Bad Little Doggie' live. I was at the show where it was played for the first time. I was right in front of the speakers to the left of the stage, meaning that the sound waves hit my ears first. One awesome thing about a Mule show is that you never know what you're gonna hear next. With the amazing range of covers that they've done over the years, it could be anything from an old blues tune to a Seattle grunge era song. Between Allmans, Mule, Warren solo, and various Grateful Dead projects, I've seen Warren over 40 times. If you've never heard Mule before, I suggest one of the live albums, Muleinium, Roseland Ballroom, Live With A Little Help From My Friends.

Phish - I could never get into Phish either. I really enjoy their instrumental jamming, but the songwriting really needs some improvement.

Widespread Panic - This is a band I definately need to listen to more. Don't own any of their stuff and still haven't seen them live, but I've enjoyed every song that comes on the Jam station.

Enough ramblings. cool.gif

Dave Matthews would be the glaring commission from the original posts list.

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2011, 11:54 AM)

Well the original post included band I'm currently really into. Nothing against DMB, they're really good but I'm just not that into them right now. I'll listen to 'em but I'm not finding myself glued to the radio when they come on. That was what the original list contained.

Omit them to your list.

apetersvt: did you get the chance see The ABB with Warren and Allen? I did 2Xs and of course Dicky was still there too. Damned good shows. Have also seen them with Dicky and Derek and Warren and Derek as the guitarists. Always an excellent show though I miss hearing Dicky's songs. Wish he would sober up and he and Gregg would mend fences. Never got to see them with Duane unfortunately. I was not allowed to go to concerts until I was 16 and that was 1972.

Also assume you have Live at Great Woods? I have it on VHS and captured it to DVD. I have not seen the official DVD release but have read that the songs are interrupted by interviews rather than being whole. That's why I never bought it. That's also the biggest downside to the Sabbath DVD "The Last Supper".

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2011, 10:54 AM)

I guess he is talking about Jam Bands that are Good laugh.gif D.M.'s voice is so f-n annoying

There's one that's not as well known "Jazz is Dead" who play jazz versions of Grateful Dead songs. It's a lot better than it sounds believe me...

The band features (original line-up) Jimmy Herring on guitar, Billy Cobham on drums, Alphonso Johnson on bass and T Lavitz (until he died) on keyboards...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 27 2011, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 27 2011, 10:54 AM)

I guess he is talking about Jam Bands that are Good laugh.gif D.M.'s voice is so f-n annoying

Annoying is an understatement. 062802puke_prv.gif

WSP is brilliant though.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 27 2011, 02:44 PM)
apetersvt: did you get the chance see The ABB with Warren and Allen? I did 2Xs and of course Dicky was still there too. Damned good shows. Have also seen them with Dicky and Derek and Warren and Derek as the guitarists. Always an excellent show though I miss hearing Dicky's songs. Wish he would sober up and he and Gregg would mend fences. Never got to see them with Duane unfortunately. I was not allowed to go to concerts until I was 16 and that was 1972.

Also assume you have Live at Great Woods? I have it on VHS and captured it to DVD. I have not seen the official DVD release but have read that the songs are interrupted by interviews rather than being whole. That's why I never bought it. That's also the biggest downside to the Sabbath DVD "The Last Supper".

My first ABB show was in 91 so I did get to see several Warren/Allen shows. It was my love of the Allmans that made it a no-brainer to follow Govt Mule as well.

I missed the Pearson/Betts era, but did see the Trucks/Betts and Trucks/Herring eras (as well as the Trucks/Haynes which is my favorite).

With Warren and Derek being so damn good, it's hard to miss Dickey. I don't think Duane would have approved of the country direction the band went to which turned the ABB legacy from an incredible blues/jam band into a run of the mill Southern Rock act.

I certainly agree with you about the Betts' tunes though. Without a doubt, one of the best songwriters ever.

I too have the Great Woods VHS but never got the DVD. I'm glad you warned me about the talking, cause that would annoy the shit out of me. The Live At The Beacon Theater DVD (from 2003) is outstanding.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 28 2011, 10:53 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 27 2011, 02:44 PM)

My first ABB show was in 91 so I did get to see several Warren/Allen shows. It was my love of the Allmans that made it a no-brainer to follow Govt Mule as well.

I missed the Pearson/Betts era, but did see the Trucks/Betts and Trucks/Herring eras (as well as the Trucks/Haynes which is my favorite).

With Warren and Derek being so damn good, it's hard to miss Dickey. I don't think Duane would have approved of the country direction the band went to which turned the ABB legacy from an incredible blues/jam band into a run of the mill Southern Rock act.

I certainly agree with you about the Betts' tunes though. Without a doubt, one of the best songwriters ever.

I too have the Great Woods VHS but never got the DVD. I'm glad you warned me about the talking, cause that would annoy the shit out of me. The Live At The Beacon Theater DVD (from 2003) is outstanding.

Yeah, I've got that one too. Very good.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 26 2011, 07:51 AM)
Love jam bands. Huge Dead, Allmans and Phish fan. Great stuff.

Make sure you join our next 'official TRF' tailgate for the Clockwork Angels tour for the DC area. Plenty of acoustic Rush and some Dead thrown-in. trink39.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 27 2011, 11:57 PM)

Widespread Panic - This is a band I definately need to listen to more.  Don't own any of their stuff and still haven't seen them live, but I've enjoyed every song that comes on the Jam station.

Start here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61SM0DENTXL.jpg

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif icon_alienjig.gif common001.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink38.gif

I love Gov't Mule & The Allman Brothers but most others in this genre leave me cold. The Greatful Dead are very hit & miss to my ears, although I do really like their "In The Dark" album. I tried a couple of albums by Phish & found them very dreary.