Rush Quotes

drbirdsong

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isn't Geddy, Alex, or Neil, but this needs to be said.

Rush is just one of those bands that has a deep reservoir of rocket sauce. A lot of bands - they've only got so much in the bottle. They use it up sometimes in one song. These guys were the real deal. Their bottle was so big and so filled to the brim, they were shaking it literally for decades. And still there was sauce coming out. - Jack Black

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 24 2011, 09:37 PM)
"We let them in if they insist on coming." - Geddy on female fans at shows during a recent interview (can't remember which).

And how could I forget the one that gave me my username? "Seven women at a Rush concert? That's got to be some kind of world record." -Neil in "I Still Love You, Man"

Hahahaha! I love it when Jason Segel says something like "I think we understand when we're not wanted" and Neil casts his eyes to the ceiling and says "Finally!" in the greatest deadpan voice. They ALL did a great job in the video applaudit.gif

There was a time when fast playing and fretboard pyrotechnics on the bass were important to me and when I am recording a bass track, that is still very important to me.

Geddy Lee

GeddyFinal.gif

From BIB, paraphrasing here...

Alex:

I quit smoking, it's true. But now I have to deal with second hand smoke... you know, from my second hand (holds up his left hand, his wife dying from laughter).

Also from BIB, Alex:

I woke up this morning and I was the fattest person I know. My wife said I looked like a magician, spinning around trying to get my pants on.

QUOTE (Atomic @ Jun 29 2011, 09:32 AM)

Alex:

I quit smoking, it's true. But now I have to deal with second hand smoke... you know, from my second hand (holds up his left hand, his wife dying from laughter).

Also from BIB, Alex:

I woke up this morning and I was the fattest person I know. My wife said I looked like a magician, spinning around trying to get my pants on.

That scene is painfully funny.

Charlene says "I need make-up" as she hides under the sheet and Alex, as an aside, says "You need more than that, Honey." Then she slaps him and he does his Jerry Lewis... "Oy lady, stop with the hitting!" rofl3.gif

CBC The Hour 2010 talking about 'Beyond The Lighted Stage':

Interviewer: 'You learned a lot about each other watching yourself?'

Geddy pointing at Alex: 'Ya, too much about him'

Edited by greyfriar

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 29 2011, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Jun 29 2011, 09:32 AM)

Alex:

Also from BIB, Alex:

That scene is painfully funny.

Charlene says "I need make-up" as she hides under the sheet and Alex, as an aside, says "You need more than that, Honey." Then she slaps him and he does his Jerry Lewis... "Oy lady, stop with the hitting!" rofl3.gif

That bit was hilarious!

Also like when in BIB they come down to the main floor of the hotel for the media conference and the hostess in the hall is gushing...

Her: "wow, we've been waiting for you here for so long...

Alex: "oh, well we were just upstairs in our rooms."

z7shysterical.gif

Also... in the media conference someone asks Geddy why it took so long to tour Brazil?

Ged: "cuz we're idiots."

trink39.gif Gotta love their self-deprecating humour.

Edited by Atomic

QUOTE (RobW @ Jun 26 2011, 03:40 AM)
What's a shrimp cot?

and something about soup.

In context, (and I can't remember if it was Ged or Alex who said what, but)...

I think I have some shrimp caught in my teeth.

What's a shrimp cot? Is that what shrimp sleep on?

LOL

Also, Ged on friendship... 'sometimes we can talk or not talk for hours.'

And, 'we'd talk for a bit, have some soup, talk some more, and have some more soup.'

Neil, somewhat tongue in cheek, when asked by John Roberts why the band is still together after 37 years (paraphrasing here) - "Because we're all equally unattractive to women". After everyone laughed he got a bit more serious and said : "No, really. You'd be surprised how many bands have had problems because of that."

Geddy: "Way back at the beginning, we just decided to split everything equally 3 ways."

Neil: "If we don't all agree on something, we don't do it. There is no democracy in a 3 person band."

The last 2 quotes are 2 of the biggest reasons these guys are still workmates and friends. They have never allowed money, egos or taking sides to interfere with their relationships, both personal and working. A 3 person dynamic is never an easy one, especially when 2 of the 3 were friends for years before the 3rd one came along. I think it's testament to who Ged and Al are as people that they never "ganged up" on Neil (not that he would've ever allowed much of that, if any).

I also find it amazing that 2 of the bands in rock and roll that have been together the longest with the same people, ZZ Top and Rush, are both 3 man bands. The Top has been together over 40 years now with Billy, Dusty and Frank as the only members.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 30 2011, 04:51 PM)
The last 2 quotes are 2 of the biggest reasons these guys are still workmates and friends. They have never allowed money, egos or taking sides to interfere with their relationships, both personal and working. A 3 person dynamic is never an easy one, especially when 2 of the 3 were friends for years before the 3rd one came along. I think it's testament to who Ged and Al are as people that they never "ganged up" on Neil (not that he would've ever allowed much of that, if any).

This.

Post like this remind me how much I wub.gif 2.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

"Sometimes 'better' might be just something that's a little bit different."

- Geddy, from a Rockline interview

I'm paraphrasing that one, since I can't remember his exact words, nor the specific interview this was from! I'll track it down, though -- this is sig-worthy I tells ya. cool.gif

Edited by Show Don't Tell

You really have to see it to get it, but near the end of Beyond The Lighted Stage Alex says:

"Hey Dirk, here's that thing you ordered."

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

BTLS is just a wealth of quotes.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 1 2011, 01:19 AM)
You really have to see it to get it, but near the end of Beyond The Lighted Stage Alex says:

"Hey Dirk, here's that thing you ordered."

rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif

laugh.gif Yeah!

Edited by Show Don't Tell

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 1 2011, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 30 2011, 10:19 PM)

yes.gif

"Can you turn the camera off while I use it?" Pretty much anything Alex said in Beyond the Lighted Stage was pure gold. My favorite part from BtLS, though, was when they were talking about their decision to create 2112 and defy their record company... it changed the way I viewed the band, and I have a lot of respect for them because of it.

"We talked about how we would rather go down fighting than try to make the record they wanted us to make."

That right there is why I love Rush.

Reading the past several posts and I realize that not only are the boys deserving of my admiration as a band, but also as human beings. It's so hard to find people with integrity, honesty, humor and compassion as basic parts of their make-up. Finding people like that who also make amazing music is doubly satisfying.

So I echo those of you who said "That's why I love 2.gif " heart.gif

QUOTE (Atomic @ Jun 30 2011, 11:52 AM)
I think I have some shrimp caught in my teeth.

What's a shrimp cot? Is that what shrimp sleep on?

LOL

Oh, the shrimp scene! After watching this, I was laughing so hard tears started rolling down my cheeks. Then I rewound it and watched it again.

I love the silly, light-hearted banter. Like the dinner scene in Beyond the Lighted Stage.