gibson suck :)

s_b_g

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 10 2011, 07:54 PM)
Some Squires are made in China, others Korea and I think also Taiwan with varying degrees of quality *China being the least quality; there are some Epiphone models made in China now too and the Best Buy Gibson style guitars are a Gibson owned plant also in China).

I'm going to disagree about your view on chinese squires. It's no longer the case that Chinese built ones are the lesser quality. If you get a chance to have a look at the classic vibe range of teles (3 in the range now), I think you'll be surprised with how the have come on. Okay, as with all lower priced guitars, the jack socket and pickup switch may be dubious but they are simple upgrades to do. I tried a couple and couldn't see why people would by a Mexican over the classic vibe. ( snobbery I suppose ).

Seriously, very very good guitars IMO.

Not looked at gibsons for a long time but back in the eighties there were better les pauls being made by tokai in Japan ( leading to lawsuits from Gibson ). I'm guessing that Gibson have slipped and didn't learn the lesson of quality control. Unfortunately today's Japanese made guitars are pretty much Gibson prices. Wish I'd kept the "love rock" flame topped "les Paul" by Tokai I had when I was 19. Great guitar and worth now a lot more than I paid for it then.

QUOTE (s_b_g @ Jun 8 2011, 04:22 PM)

i personally think gibson usa have lost it - they now seem intent on producing over priced replicas for lawyers and doctors

don't even know where to start with this.....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 12 2011, 02:07 PM)

i personally think gibson usa have lost it - they now seem intent on producing over priced replicas for lawyers and doctors

s_b_g is speaking in extreme terms, but I see what he is saying, And I agree to an extent.

These days, Gibson seems more interested in re-inventing the guitar than concentrating on the guitars that made Gibson a household name -- the classics like the LP and the 335 and such. Now, they push the self-tuning robot guitars (get an ear and learn to tune it yourself!), reverse Flying Vs and Explorers (ugly!), SGs that are colored like lollipops (ugly!), etc. These guitars are expensive to R&D and build and market, and they're stupid....who is buying them?

And when they don't sell, what happens? Maybe they jack up the price of the "normal" guitars to compensate. Just a theory that I'm sticking with for the moment.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 12 2011, 04:55 PM)

s_b_g is speaking in extreme terms, but I see what he is saying, And I agree to an extent.

These days, Gibson seems more interested in re-inventing the guitar than concentrating on the guitars that made Gibson a household name -- the classics like the LP and the 335 and such. Now, they push the self-tuning robot guitars (get an ear and learn to tune it yourself!), reverse Flying Vs and Explorers (ugly!), SGs that are colored like lollipops (ugly!), etc. These guitars are expensive to R&D and build and market, and they're stupid....who is buying them?

And when they don't sell, what happens? Maybe they jack up the price of the "normal" guitars to compensate. Just a theory that I'm sticking with for the moment.

fair enough....and I see what you're saying. That being said, they still make LOTS of nice quality guitars and to say they've "lost it" is a stretch....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 12 2011, 07:01 PM)

fair enough....and I see what you're saying. That being said, they still make LOTS of nice quality guitars and to say they've "lost it" is a stretch....

Maybe by "replicas," he's talking about the reissues. Like the reissue of Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, costing over $15,000 USD. Or just a "regular" '59 reissue for over $8,500.

And speaking of their need to take classic designs and ugly them up, check out the new Firebird. Is that guitar really going to sell enough to justify the work that went into it?

I have a 93 gibson les paul studio with an ebony board. The guitar is fantastic and the only thing I thought was shotty was the fret job. I have since had my tech do a refret with jumbos and it plays better than any of the new gibbys out there, including an r7 and an r8 I have been able to play. My biggest gripe with them is that they tend to choose the driest piece of rosewood to make a fretboard out of and then they let toddlers with preschool hammers dress the frets.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 13 2011, 05:58 AM)
I have a 93 gibson les paul studio with an ebony board. The guitar is fantastic and the only thing I thought was shotty was the fret job. I have since had my tech do a refret with jumbos and it plays better than any of the new gibbys out there, including an r7 and an r8 I have been able to play. My biggest gripe with them is that they tend to choose the driest piece of rosewood to make a fretboard out of and then they let toddlers with preschool hammers dress the frets.

Don' t know how much you spent on your guitar but the way I see it is if you are spending thousands on a guitar with the GIBSON name on it...there better not be ANY gripes.

Was in a guitar shop in Chester a little while ago and the guy there said they had a Billy Gibbons model 59. He had to demostrate it for a customer who couldn't actually play himself. He bought it purely as a financial investment !

It's not just Gibson that do these player copies, Fender do it to. The Andy Summers telecaster springs to mind.

Fender has all kinds of Artist models. They are Custom Shop jobs and they can be very expensive. Stevie Ray (3 models I believe), Andy Summers (2 models), Clapton (The Blackies retailed for $20k), Iron Maiden (Steve Harris P Bass, Dave Murray Strat, Adrian Smith Charvel [Fender owns Charvel, Jackson, and Gretsch now]), etc. There are way more Fender Custom Shop guitars and basses that cost WAY more than Gibson Custom Shop guitars.

If you are Gibson and you see PRS charging $2500 for a guitar based upon your design why wouldn't you price your guitars in the same range? Then you see Fender charging stupid amounts of money for replicas of artist models. Wouldn't you do the same?

The whole signature thing makes me laugh. Dave Murray strat ? A seventies strat with a dimarzio paf pro in the neck and a custom distortion in the bridge, stick Daves name on it and kerching !

QUOTE (Gilby @ Jun 13 2011, 03:09 PM)
The whole signature thing makes me laugh. Dave Murray strat ? A seventies strat with a dimarzio paf pro in the neck and a custom distortion in the bridge, stick Daves name on it and kerching !

that's lame.....Dave Murray strat.....lol

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 12 2011, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 12 2011, 07:01 PM)

Maybe by "replicas," he's talking about the reissues. Like the reissue of Billy Gibbons' '59 LP, costing over $15,000 USD. Or just a "regular" '59 reissue for over $8,500.

And speaking of their need to take classic designs and ugly them up, check out the new Firebird. Is that guitar really going to sell enough to justify the work that went into it?

the craziest thing about these is that they will damage the guitar on purpose to match the original. this is stupid. kind of reminds me of all the idiots that ruined their guitars by having them scalloped back in the eighties cuz they thought it would turn them into Yngwie.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jun 13 2011, 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 13 2011, 05:58 AM)

Don' t know how much you spent on your guitar but the way I see it is if you are spending thousands on a guitar with the GIBSON name on it...there better not be ANY gripes.

Totally agree. I paid 700 bucks for the guitar and my tech charged me 200 (a deal) for the fret job. I think that this guitar i totally worth a grand. If it were more than that, it would not have been worth it.

QUOTE (Gilby @ Jun 13 2011, 04:09 PM)

Dave Murray Strat:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0118802806

Now if it would play Run To The Hills for me that would be cool.

Let me add that I would not buy a post 2006 Les Paul that is not a "Traditional" model due to chambering. I imagine the AL Les Paul is chambered severely.

"Weight relieved" Standard 1980's - 2006:

http://www.piller.at/music/lp-faq/swisscheese.jpg

"Chambered" Standard (non Traditional) 2006-Present :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3032/3071924483_444c60ab61_o.jpg

http://www.mcquain.com/lespaul/miscellaneous/Chamber_Supreme.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 10 2011, 06:54 AM)
I really disagree. The USA Fenders (non custom shop) are way too over priced for what they are. They were designed to be cheap. I find Mexican, Japanese and Korean Fenders to play as good or better than the American ones for considerably less money. Even Squires are good. My point is the difference between a cheap Fender and expensive ones are some electronics and where they're made.

Gibsons are a different type of instrument. Yes, they have been run disappointingly recently and overpriced as well. Both companies have been living off designs from 50 or more years ago, but I'll take a Gibson over a Fender any day. Not for basses though.

I played a Mexican Tele recently that screamed "BUY ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!" It was that good. The neck was perfect, it sounded stellar, it was very pretty, and it practically played itself. It was far better than any of the Americans I played that day, and it was only $499.

Alas, I just couldn't spare the cash.

The mexi are great value used near 250...squiers if you get a nice one.

I think they both sound good new (I loved my squier 51) but they just don't age well. The frets get to sounding tinny, buzzing, etc. The mia usually sound better with age imo..

I also don't like the narrower spacing on those imports, but for the price they are overall a good value.